Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Westbrook36 hates: Tom Hanks

Westbrook36

I'm sick of this no talent assclown that EVERYONE loves. I just can't take it anymore.

He isn't a good actor. I'm sorry, he isn't. What he has done is parlay his popularity with soccer moms, teenage boys and morons into getting roles in movies which have made a lot of money. Since he has starred in movies which have made tons of money, he gets more roles in movies that will make a ton of money. See the stupid circle? It will never be broken.

Everytime I watch a movie that he is in, I never think that he did a real good job with the character. I always think, well, there is Tom Hanks playing a warden. Well, there is Tom Hanks playing a castaway. It takes a lot to enjoy any movie he is in. ****, I watch the Polar Express last night (he provides like 10 voices) and I can't even enjoy it. I hate his voice, how he talks, how he delivers dialogue. Everything.

tom-hanks-bild.JPG

What is there to like? The overacting? The same delivery no matter what character he is playing? The serious, yet caring, yet fragile good guy.

Now, I have liked some of the movies he has been in....in spite of him. :mad:

I thought he was funny as hell in the "Money Pit"....also liked him in "Philadelphia".....

My advice would be if you don't like him and you have known this for quite some time then don't watch his movies! :obvious:

And I don't think "queers" is a very p.c. term....so, clean it up some :cop:

I certainly don't 'hate' Hanks... and as I said previously I think he's done some great things... but Westy has a point with some of it.

He has been strikingly ordinary or downright terrible in many of the rolls he's taken on. That's not to say, of course, that he isn't ideal for certain roles. But I do think like Westy said that a lot of the time he doesn't develop his character, and it just doesn't come across as acting.

Here is a list of roles that Tom Hanks isn't very good in:

1. The Cut-throat businessman, yuppie, etc. Sorry... but he just doesn't pull it off. His yuppie characters in 'Castaway' and 'You've got mail' were forced. I didn't buy it.

2. Mentally Challenged youth from Alabama :doh:. (re-watch Forrest Gump... his accent is terrible and he tries waay to hard.)

Here are some rolls he is ideal for:

-The ordinary guy in an extraordinary situation.

i.e. Saving Private Ryan and The Green Mile. He wasn't a hero in these roles, his character's didn't have any special skills, etc... other than they did what they had to do and what they thought was right. This is the role that Tom Hanks was born for, and the one he should stick to.

-Comedy Roles

OK... I don't find him funny at all, but many do, and I respect that he is good in those rolls, just not my cup of tea.

Well seeing that Forest Gump is tied for my favorite movie(braveheart is the other one), I guess that means I disagree with you.

Tom Hanks is some what a character actor, in that he has a lot of common traits in almost all of his roles.

Also there are many movies where Hollywood could have found the "perfect" person for the part. But he is a box office draw, and Hollywood is a business, and Tom Hanks is a fine fine actor!

I thought he was perfect in Saving Private Ryan, and Forest Gump.

I just watched "Catch Me If You Can", and I loved that movie!

"Knock, Knock..." :D

Hanks' accent in Forrest Gump was attrocious. It's really funny how difficult it is to pull of a southern accent... and how glaring the mistakes can be. All the more strange considering Hanks did great with this in the Green Mile.

Catch me If You Can was a good movie, but it could have been great without Tom Hanks in that role.

I think that is somewhat the point of this thread... the fact that he keeps landing these rolls in movies that are so well written/directed that all he really has to do is show up and collect a check.

I can think of 10 actors off the top of my head for that roll in Catch Me If You Can that would have taken that movie from a B to an A+

:2cents:

Hanks' accent in Forrest Gump was attrocious. It's really funny how difficult it is to pull of a southern accent... and how glaring the mistakes can be. All the more strange considering Hanks did great with this in the Green Mile.

:2cents:

-

I contend that Tom Hanks did an outstanding retarded southern accent in Forrest Gump. Much, much different than a normal one.

1. The Cut-throat businessman, yuppie, etc. Sorry... but he just doesn't pull it off. His yuppie characters in 'Castaway' and 'You've got mail' were forced. I didn't buy it.

2. Mentally Challenged youth from Alabama :doh:. (re-watch Forrest Gump... his accent is terrible and he tries waay to hard.)

:laugh: I thought he was fantastic in both of those movies. I own Forrest Gump and have watched it plenty of times...his accent was very good, in my opinion. He conveyed himself expertly as well...I mean, you could tell by his facial expressions and the way he looked around that he was a dumbass. And just his overall body language and movement -- all of it added up to a perfect character.

Castaway -- another awesome movie! At first I didn't want to go see it, because I was thinking an entire movie with just Tom Hanks? Ugh! But, if anyone could pull that off, I think it was him. Denzel could probably do it to, but not too many others. I think he does the slick-yuppie type very well...!!

Here are some rolls he is ideal for:

-The ordinary guy in an extraordinary situation.

i.e. Saving Private Ryan and The Green Mile. He wasn't a hero in these roles, his character's didn't have any special skills, etc... other than they did what they had to do and what they thought was right. This is the role that Tom Hanks was born for, and the one he should stick to.

-Comedy Roles

OK... I don't find him funny at all, but many do, and I respect that he is good in those rolls, just not my cup of tea.

I also loved SPR and The Green Mile...two more excellent roles. And if you didn't like his accent in Forrest Gump -- didn't he have an accent in The Green Mile as well??? I honestly can't remember; I've only seen it once.

Hanks is one of the better "facial" actors in Hollywood -- he can convey an entire sentence or dialogue with just facial expressions. This is why he was so good in Forrest Gump and SPR as well as Castaway. I also really enjoyed him in Catch Me if You Can, another movie that I bought. I agree with MissU28 -- he's one of my favorite actors.

Oh yeah, and "You've Got Mail" and "Sleepless in Seattle" don't count as movies, they were drivel. It had nothing to do with Hanks, just crappy scripts and plottlines...

Sorry... I like Tom Hanks..... now Tom Cruise I can't stand...

Here's somebody who's got it right! I can't stand that fake sum****. I hated War of the Worlds, mostly because of Cruise. The only movie of his that I can watch and enjoy now is Jerry Maguire, and that's only because Cuba Gooding Jr. carries the movie.

Archived