Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN SportsNation Chat - NFCEast

slinky

Jeremy Green: (2:00 PM ET ) Hi guys. Great to be here today. Lets talk some NFC East football.

chris (salisbury, md): I think the redskins have a ligitiment chance of winning the NFC east. If you look at the remainder of our games Arizona, Dallas (home), giants (home), and at the eagles, our schedule favors us a lot more than the cowboys or the giants. What are your thoughts on the matter?

SportsNation Jeremy Green: (2:02 PM ET ) I agree, They do have the easier schedule. I don't think they will over-take the Giants though. The Giants have the potential to be very explosive on offense and their defense is playing excellent right now.

Anthony: Why isnt Eli throwing more to Plaxico and Shockey. He is incorporating the other players(Toomer and Carter) too much?

SportsNation Jeremy Green: (2:03 PM ET ) Teams are starting to double Plax more often. Shockey is all seaeing more double coverage via a LB underneath with a safety over the top. Toomer and especially Carter need to step it up. The deep ball to Carter was one of the nicest deep ball throws I have seen this season - he needs to make that play.

Nick (NYC): If you were a Giants fan like me, would you be worried about the way Eli's played over the past month?

SportsNation Jeremy Green: (2:04 PM ET ) No, I think he has been fine. The QB is going ot take the brunt of any teams struggles on offense. However, his receivers are dropping to many balls and his O-line is comitting too many penalties. Those things are out of his control... he will be fine.

Vishal (Texas): What do the Eagles address in draft this year?

SportsNation Jeremy Green: (2:05 PM ET ) If they do not sign a WR in freee agency, they will address it in the 1st or 2nd round.

glenn (bowling green): are strahan and osi the top defensive end tandem in football right now?

SportsNation Jeremy Green: (2:07 PM ET ) Yes. Strahan beats you with power and Osi can beat you with quickness and power. That whipping Osi gave Walter Jones two weeks ago has him playing extremly confident. Never seen it before, but all 4 Pro Bowl DE's should come off two teams with the other being Chicago.

Josh (Colorado Springs.): Do you see the Cowboys making the playoffs this year? If so how far can they go?

SportsNation Jeremy Green: (2:09 PM ET ) No. Offensively they are in a tail spin. They are really starting to feel the effects of losing Adams at LOT. Bledsoe has no faith in his O-line. He spent all day yesterday looking at pressure instead of down field. Dallas is not a very good football team right now.

Joe (UMD): What would you say, is the redskins "issue"? They can't beat the good teams, yet on paper, they should?

SportsNation Jeremy Green: (2:10 PM ET ) Offensively they are just inconsistent. They are good enough on offense to beat bad teams. When you play a team that can defend though, the Redksins lack of firepower at receiver (other than Moss) tends to show itself.

Michael (Vienna, Austria): What do you think about Jay feely's performance??

SportsNation Jeremy Green: (2:12 PM ET ) It was poor. Worst of all the Giants have no confidence in him as seen by them going for it and passing up a 45-yard FG early in the game. There are no answers on the street right now. The best guy was Novak and Arizona beat them to the punch. Feely is still their best option right now.

Wade (AR): Is Roy Williams the best Safety in the game?

SportsNation Jeremy Green: (2:12 PM ET ) No. Roy is a very good player. He is excellent vs. the run and yes he is the hardest hitting Safety in the NFL right now. He makes too many mental mistakes in coverage to be considered the best Safety in the game though.

Marc (MD): Do you think that Brunell, Ramsey, or Campbell will be starting for the Redskins next season?

SportsNation Jeremy Green: (2:14 PM ET ) Brunell. Ramsey will be gone. I have talked to people in the Redskins organization and they have said Campbell would have to make huge strides this offseason because he is not even close to being ready right now.

Scott (Tampa): Can Philly counce back?

SportsNation Jeremy Green: (2:15 PM ET ) Philly can bounce back next year. McNabb will get healthy and Westbrook is under contract. They need to get Runyan done next A good portion of the "D" will be back. The NFC East will be the best Division in the NFL next season bar-none.

Andy G. (Little Rock, AR): Why do you think that Jerry Jones would even consider picking up a player like TO? Especially after he mocked the 'Boys when he was with San Francisco. Besides, TO working with Parcells, could you see that?

SportsNation Jeremy Green: (2:17 PM ET ) Jerrry Jones is abouit winning football games. If he thinks T.O. can do that, then he will consider signing him. As for Parcells, he is a veteran coach. If anyone could handle him, Parcells could.

Judd (TX): How many more years does Bledsoe have in him? When does Dallas start looking for the next-in-line?

SportsNation Jeremy Green: (2:18 PM ET ) Depends on the protection. He can still throw it when he has time. The Dallas O-line is not very good right now, ie.. Bledsoe has struggled. He has 1-2 years left. Dallas needs to find a young QB this year - Romo sits to pee and Henson are not the future.

Jason Murphy (Troy Ny): P_arcells said he dont want to coach him'

SportsNation Jeremy Green: (2:19 PM ET ) When has Jerry Jones ever cared about anything his Head Coach wants? If Jones wants him, he will be a Cowboy.

Paul (Maryland): Are the Giants legit super bowl contenders?

SportsNation Jeremy Green: (2:21 PM ET ) Everyone in the NFC is a legit contender because no team in the NFC is great. The Giants proved they can beat Seattle on the road if their kicker can make a FG. The road will go through Seattle. Yes, the Giants have shot because of their big 4 on O - Tiki, Plax, Shockey and Eli" along with an improving defense.

Matt, Red Bluff Ca

Jeremy, why are the Giants continuing to play Curtis Deloatch instead of Corey Webster in the starting line up. Corey needs the experience and Curtis is a liability? Why doesn't Tim Lewis see that?

JEREMY GREEN

Great question and I agree with you. Even though Deloatch is not very good, they feel more comfortable with him because he will give up plays due to lack of ability not mental mistakes. Webster has had a few mental lapses that have preventedLewis and both Coughlin wanting to gio with him full-time. Webster is clearly a better player though.

Kyle (Washington DC)

So you are basically saying right now that the Redskins will make the playoffs instead of the Cowboys?

JEREMY GREEN

They will finish with a better record than the Cowboys. I don't think either is going to make it though. Minnesota is going to get one spot and Atlanta is going to get the other one.

Finn (Washington)

When will we see Jason Campbell?

JEREMY GREEN

2007 at the earliest.

Dennis (Dallas)

Do you think Parcells will ever open up the offense like they did against Philly in week 6

JEREMY GREEN

They can't open up the offense right now because they have two marginal OT's. To open up the O you need more 7-step drops. They have gone away from that due to poor protection up front.

Ian (Detroit, MI)

Who (now) is your pick to with the NFC East?

JEREMY GREEN

New York Giants.

Richard (San Jose)

Hey Jeremy, when will another receiver for the Skins step up?

JEREMY GREEN

Next season because they don't have a guy on their roster right now that can do so. This is a position they need to address in the off-season.

Kyle (Washington DC)

Two marginal tackles? Pettiti has started all season and hasnt been blamed for anything until Flozell went down. Isnt this more an issue of Torrin Tucker not stepping up?

JEREMY GREEN

I watched Pettit on tape last week. Average athlete and foot quickness. Good in the run game but struggles in pass pro when they don't use the TE to help chip on the LDE. He is a rookie - he will get better. He is not very good right now though.

cept the not being able to overtake the giants, Henry. come on the giants are so inconsistant. They lost to a vikings team that had less than 100 yards total offense or something ridiculous. Mark my words, if we win out, we make the playoffs.

They are two games up on us with four to go. It is possible for us to catch them, but certainly not likely.

cept the not being able to overtake the giants, Henry. come on the giants are so inconsistant. They lost to a vikings team that had less than 100 yards total offense or something ridiculous. Mark my words, if we win out, we make the playoffs.

yeah, but the Giants two bookends are gonna give us problems come Christmas Eve

atleast we'll be at home

Marc (MD): Do you think that Brunell, Ramsey, or Campbell will be starting for the Redskins next season?

SportsNation Jeremy Green: (2:14 PM ET ) Brunell. Ramsey will be gone. I have talked to people in the Redskins organization and they have said Campbell would have to make huge strides this offseason because he is not even close to being ready right now.

Question for mods or those in the know:

How legitimate is this (about Campbell's development)?

Yeah, because the Skins are the mark of consistancy right? 8-4 or 6-6 who is more consistant? Even if the Skins "win out", NYG, TB, ATL, & Minn could finish ahead of us. In 2 weeks we will know a lot more.

Good chat. Pretty reasonable assesment. If even a little favorable for us.

zoony: I'm not in the know, but for what I've heard he just hasn't gotten the quick read aptitude yet. That's what he's missing right now. His physical delivery and mechanics are excellent though.

if we win out, we win the division IMHO... that means giants will lose to us and they will lose...

Giants will lose their only remaining home game to KC.

It's not that easy. The Giants have to lose to 2 games.

If we win out and the Giants only lose to the Skins...they win the Division. Conversely, if we win out and and they lose 2 games (Skins and someone else) WE win the division. The only other way for us to win the Division is if we win out and the Giants drop 3 of their next 4 -- highly unlikely!!!

If the Skins and Giants both end up 10-6...the Skins win the division. Because one of their losses will obvioudly be to the Redskins which would drop their Div and Conf records below ours.

I am glad that the "experts" are finally seeing what we have known all season about the Pokes. :laugh:

The Vikes and Falcons???? We can't go 5 in a row, yet yjey expect the Vikes to go 9 in a row??? The Falcons are 6-6 and fading fast, and still have to play the Panthers and Bucs again???

Wade (AR): Is Roy Williams the best Safety in the game?

SportsNation Jeremy Green: (2:12 PM ET ) No. Roy is a very good player. He is excellent vs. the run and yes he is the hardest hitting Safety in the NFL right now. He makes too many mental mistakes in coverage to be considered the best Safety in the game though

he must not have seen any of our games lately :dallasuck

I am glad that the "experts" are finally seeing what we have known all season about the Pokes. :laugh:

At great personal risk, I'm going to go ahead and say that I still think Dallas is a solid football team, and I certainly do not feel good about our chances to beat them in 2 weeks. :(

Their D is still very good. They held the Giants to 10 offensive points at home... and save one or two meltdowns over the course of the season I haven't seen anyone have their way with the Cowboys D yet.

I agree with ya. But look at Minn schedule: STL, PIT, @ BAL, & CHI.

STL & BAL suck. PIT should beat them. CHI might have home field or be unable to inprove their position and rest players.

Well, if Minny only loses one more game and ends up 10-6...I believe we will have the edge. Think about it. If Minny goes 10-6 and only loses to an AFC team that means their Div record would be 5-1 (same as ours if we win out) and their Conf record would be 8-4....however, the Skins Conf record would be 10-2!

As far as Atlanta, if they lose one more game (no matter AFC or NFC) they're done...because if the Skins win out and happen to tie w/ ATL at 10-6, both our Div and Conf records are better.

The Skins are VERY close. They actually don't need that much help. They just have to win out.

Well, if Minny only loses one more game and ends up 10-6...I believe we will have the edge. Think about it. If Minny goes 10-6 and only loses to an AFC team that means their Div record would be 5-1 (same as ours if we win out) and their Conf record would be 8-4....however, the Skins Conf record would be 10-2!

As far as Atlanta, if they lose one more game (no matter AFC or NFC) they're done...because if the Skins win out and happen to tie w/ ATL at 10-6, both our Div and Conf records are better.

The Skins are VERY close. They actually don't need that much help. They just have to win out.

The Skins don't need to win out to get in. It obviously makes things simpler, but the Skins can finish 9-7 and still have a reasonable shot of making the playoffs if they end up tied with the Falcons, Cowboys, and Vikings due to having tie-breaker advantages.

And with the schedules that the Falcons, Cowboys, and Vikings face, it isn't unreasonable to think that all 3 teams would finish at 9-7.

Question for mods or those in the know:

How legitimate is this (about Campbell's development)?

It is legit in this sense. Jason Campbell is going to be ready next year to play as a starter in this league. He is not however going to be ready for what Joe Gibbs wants him to do. No one is more particular about their QB than Gibbs. Starter in the NFL yes, starter for the Skins next year? No way.

At great personal risk, I'm going to go ahead and say that I still think Dallas is a solid football team, and I certainly do not feel good about our chances to beat them in 2 weeks. :(

Their D is still very good. They held the Giants to 10 offensive points at home... and save one or two meltdowns over the course of the season I haven't seen anyone have their way with the Cowboys D yet.

The Giants offense isn't as "explosive" as everyone claims... most of their big point games came from a ton of turnovers in the opponents side of the 50. And all those home games against a weaker schedule didn't hurt either. They are good, but hardly the Colts or old Rams score at will type of offense.

The Pokes aren't quitters, or the Cards, but they are far from the power house team most have been tooting almost all season, and when they started playing good teams... it is now starting to show their flaws.

The biggest difference between the Skins and Pokes so far has been their schedule to date...as I pointed out a couple weeks ago, both teams are similar IN MANY WAYS.

Archived