Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rock Should be Our Man on Third and Short

feeshta

I said in a post earlier this week that I believed Cartright should get a shot at the third and short situations, and he proved himself capable of handling that in todays game. He has always excelled at that type of play, and today showed th ability to make something big happen as well. He just seems to have a little better feel for the short yardage stuff than Clinton does sometimes. His physical stature also helps as well. He's so short the defense can't see him until it's too late, and there is nobody out there that is going to get lower than him and uproot him before he gets that on or two yards. If I'm Coach Gibbs, Rock is my new third and short back. He deserves it.

I like this idea.....He has a low center of gravity and is great at driving forward. Of all the talk we do about zone blocking Rock's TD run vs SD and 50 + yarder vs STL were both straight ahead runs were he hit a big hole quickly and got through the secondary.....fun to see

Yep, Rock ran very well today, but the truth is that anyone could have run through those holes. However, I wouldn't overate this effort against a poor Rams defense. Clinton was bangin' away in there! The O-line played great, even in the final quarter this time. Gibbs meeting must have gotten through to the leaders.

After Portis wore them down, Rock came in fresh and ceased the opportunity, gliding through some gaping holes! It was a great 1-2 punch today, but I wouldn't expect to see this too often, especially in the final three games against our NFC East rivals.

I was going to start a thread about Broughton for this role. It always appeared to me we needed a big pounding back that can push the pile to compliment Portis on short yardage situations. I'd like to see what Broughton can do. He's bigger than Rock.

I am one of Rocks biggest fans, but I'm also not biast when it comes to an assesmant. Today was great for Rock and he played well. Then again, it was against the leagues 2nd or 3rd worst defense. The main reason why Rock is listed 3rd on the depth chart behind Ladel Betts and why you haven't seen Rock get more carries previously before Ladel was injured is because he has had a fumbling issue over the years. You saw it in the Chiefs game. I remember as soon as he came in I was excited but at the same time I thought about why I didn't get to see him more, and it came to me so I said to myself, "OK now just don't fumble the ball". And what did he do? He goes out and fumbles the ball on the very next play wich then led to our losing the game.

Rock should keep the job on short yardage situations because your right, lately he has done nothing to lose the job, and he has been a great team player. But I would challenge him to work on his ball handling skills and his cut backs to make sure all continues to go well against much better defenses.

I'd still like to see what Broughton can do.

All I know is, Portis is to small to move the pile in short yardage situations and we need a guy who can push for the first down.

Rock has found his stride, I look forward to next week to see if it continues

I am also. I hope he continues to get the chance.

Rock was excellent today, he seems to find holes before they even open. Its always nice to still be able to run the ball even when Portis is out. :logo:

2-100 yarders!! That is so awesome!

Wheres blondie. I know shes happy. I agree with the third and short for rock....I also wouldn't mind seeing sellars get it on 3rd and short or goaline situations

I am very happy for him. Very.

Now, there's an idea! Wish I'd thought of it. :)

:laugh: :laugh: If I had a $1.00 for everytime you said this, I could pay for my plane fare to the Giants game!!

Yep, Rock ran very well today, but the truth is that anyone could have run through those holes. However, I wouldn't overate this effort against a poor Rams defense. Clinton was bangin' away in there! The O-line played great, even in the final quarter this time. Gibbs meeting must have gotten through to the leaders.

After Portis wore them down, Rock came in fresh and ceased the opportunity, gliding through some gaping holes! It was a great 1-2 punch today, but I wouldn't expect to see this too often, especially in the final three games against our NFC East rivals.

So the only reason Rock did well was because the Rams D is so bad? I guess that would have to be the reason CP did well also. I mean it WAS the same D....have to take those yards CP ran in context as well.

I was going to start a thread about Broughton for this role. It always appeared to me we needed a big pounding back that can push the pile to compliment Portis on short yardage situations. I'd like to see what Broughton can do. He's bigger than Rock.

I am one of Rocks biggest fans, but I'm also not biast when it comes to an assesmant. Today was great for Rock and he played well. Then again, it was against the leagues 2nd or 3rd worst defense. The main reason why Rock is listed 3rd on the depth chart behind Ladel Betts and why you haven't seen Rock get more carries previously before Ladel was injured is because he has had a fumbling issue over the years. You saw it in the Chiefs game. I remember as soon as he came in I was excited but at the same time I thought about why I didn't get to see him more, and it came to me so I said to myself, "OK now just don't fumble the ball". And what did he do? He goes out and fumbles the ball on the very next play wich then led to our losing the game.

Rock should keep the job on short yardage situations because your right, lately he has done nothing to lose the job, and he has been a great team player. But I would challenge him to work on his ball handling skills and his cut backs to make sure all continues to go well against much better defenses.

I'd still like to see what Broughton can do.

All I know is, Portis is to small to move the pile in short yardage situations and we need a guy who can push for the first down.

Rock has lost 3 fumbles in 4 years. Betts has lost 4 fumbles in 4 years. And in those same four years, Portis has lost 8.

Just to keep the record straight.

Blondie

I agree. Rock=3rd and short. It doesnt matter if he's small. He gets it done. Nemo is too young, too much of a liability, not as smart. Portis..i dont know, he gets swarmed on 3rd and short all the time. Give it to the Rock...lets trust him.

Rock is a little "Fire Plug", and Nemo doesn't have the good hands from what I saw in preseason.

It's a tough call between Rock and Ladell though. And Sellers is a hoss! At this point though I think we need to see a few more games of Rock performing at this level for any determination by Coach Gibbs on permanancy on 3rd down.

:point2sky

As a 3rd down back, I think Rock is a nice option as long as it is not 3rd and short. He played great against a team struggling on defense. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact he got over a 100 yards yesterday, but I have seen Rock on more than occassion get crushed trying to get a first on third and short. To sum up, he had a great game congrats. He is a nice option to turn to on 3rd downs, but Nemo is more suited for banging up middle in 3rd and short than Rock is, in my opinion. :2cents:

Rock has lost 3 fumbles in 4 years. Betts has lost 4 fumbles in 4 years. And in those same four years, Portis has lost 8.

Blondie

I like Rock, but isn't it more relevant to talk about fumbles/attempt as opposed to fumbles/year?

Rock, through the *three* years he's been a pro football player/Redskin, has 125 attempts.

Betts, through the *four* years he's been a pro football player/Redskin, has 286 attempts.

CP, through the *four* years he's been a pro football player (half on Redskins, half on Broncos) has 1128 attempts.

So, it would seem that Rock is more fumble prone when you look at fumbles per attempt (using your fumble stats and the stats I listed from http://www.pro-football-reference.com).

Blondie

I'm a huge Rock fan. But Blondie...over the past two years Rock has carried the ball 26 times...Portis has carried it 592.

Portis fumbles once every 74 carries, Rock once every 13 if you do the whole statistics thing.

I like Rock, but isn't it more relevant to talk about fumbles/attempt as opposed to fumbles/year?

Rock, through the *three* years he's been a pro football player/Redskin, has 125 attempts.

Betts, through the *four* years he's been a pro football player/Redskin, has 286 attempts.

CP, through the *four* years he's been a pro football player (half on Redskins, half on Broncos) has 1128 attempts.

So, it would seem that Rock is more fumble prone when you look at fumbles per attempt (using your fumble stats and the stats I listed from http://www.pro-football-player-reference.com).

Actually, Rock is in his fourth year.

And, truth be told, your stats are probably more accurate. Rock is at a 3/125, Ladell is at a 4/286.

So the percentage is rather small for both, don't ya think?

Blondie

Rock is too small for third and short...yes he will make some of them but I think that over the long haul he will miss more than he makes. He just isn't big enough to cope with a hit from a lineman and keep going forward. JMO.

Dan

As a 3rd down back, I think Rock is a nice option as long as it is not 3rd and short. He played great against a team struggling on defense. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact he got over a 100 yards yesterday, but I have seen Rock on more than occassion get crushed trying to get a first on third and short. To sum up, he had a great game congrats. He is a nice option to turn to on 3rd downs, but Nemo is more suited for banging up middle in 3rd and short than Rock is, in my opinion. :2cents:

Yes, I know everybody's been waiting for it, so . . .

Comming in to this year, Rock, for his career was

5 for 5 on fourth and short

11 for 13 on third and short

(I'll have to go over the play-by-play for yesterday and SF. I know he had a 3-short yesterday (and made it). And he may have against SF, too.)

(And Nemo, in his career, on short yardage, is 0 for 0.)

Actually, Rock is in his fourth year.

And, truth be told, your stats are probably more accurate. Rock is at a 3/125, Ladell is at a 4/286.

So the percentage is rather small for both, don't ya think?

Blondie

Rock is in his fourth year, but he didn't get any attempts last year. I just posted based off of that site's general listing (3 years for Rock) without thinking about it or looking at the years. Thanks for the correction.

Yes, the percentage is pretty small for both, and even smaller for Portis.

-Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing more of the 1-2 combo in the coming weeks.

I agree Rock should be our third down back. He proves it time and time again that he can break off big runs. He most certainly would have more if used more often.

On Goaline however even though Portis has the leaping ability, I would like to see Sellers get the ball in those situations more and have him plow up the gut for the end zone "alla Allstott"

Archived