Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defense is Offensive

ATL_Hail

At what point do we just admit that our defense is not as good as advertised. I mean we can play well in stretches. But in the 4th Q, when we need them most, we are gauranteed of them letting down. And yeah i am aware of INT in Philly game at the end, but they were driving on us and we were very fortunate. Why is it that teams have trouble moving the ball against us until the 4th Quarter.

Today, the Raiders learned that we were not checking the back out of the backfield, and threw to Jordan like 6 plays in a row for their game winning drive. We never made any adjustments.

If we are ever going to win another game this season, then we better have a sizeable lead going into 4th Q, because we will allow any team to move the ball at the end of the game. That is why every game is "close".

If you watch any other game on TV, you will see that pretty much everyone else in the league can generate even a tiny pass rush, excluding us of course. So stop blitzing, we are simply taking guys out of coverage!

I hate this. Every single game, our offense gives up 3 fumbles, and we lose close games, but everyone blames our losses on the defense. If we had an average defense the Redskins would be 1-9(we would have still beat the 9ers).

Giving up 16 points against an offense with Kerry Collins, Jerry Porter, Randy Moss, and Lamont Jordan is good defense. Returning an interception for a touchdown is good defense. Holding Randy Moss to 3 catches for 40 yards is good defense. For heavens sake, the Defense scored more points than the offense did! Yet, somehow you blame this on defense!

Do not blame the freaking defense guys, if you lose the turnover battle, you will probably lose the games. Yes, our defense is not as good as advertised, but neither is our offense, nor our special teams, nor our coaching staff. 4th quarter stand? What about 4th quarter game winning drives? I have not seen one of those in a while. Quit expecting shutouts from the defense and letting our offense not share in the blame. Its a team game man.

I hate this. Every single game, our offense gives up 3 fumbles, and we lose close games, but everyone blames our losses on the defense. If we had an average defense the Redskins would be 1-9(we would have still beat the 9ers).

Giving up 16 points against an offense with Kerry Collins, Jerry Porter, Randy Moss, and Lamont Jordan is good defense. Returning an interception for a touchdown is good defense. Holding Randy Moss to 3 catches for 40 yards is good defense. For heavens sake, the Defense scored more points than the offense did! Yet, somehow you blame this on defense!

I agree man...I cannot believe anyone could have watched that game and not thought our defense was on point. Besides that one play to Porter, we were stout all game. Our offense and turnovers are to blame for this one.

Although, something can be said about the pass-rush, which again was seriously lacking. But, we still only gave up 16 points, which with our potent offense, should be good enough. And I agree...with an average defense, we're probably 2-8, 3-7. Conversely, if we cut our turnovers in half, we're easily 8-2, 7-3.

Well, if you want to be honest, then admit you watched Porter catch a long TD pass that had nothing to do with a fumble.

Big plays happen occasionally on any defense. I was at the game yesterday, and believe me, the defense did it's part. The offense, however, failed to do anything correctly. They didn't control the ball, at all, so we were stuck with the defense on the field for quite awhile. When the defense is on the field for so long, it's bound to give up some plays/yards, but the D played pretty damned good yesterday.

I cannot believe anyone on this board defends our defense. Our d-line got 0 pressure on Collins. He sat back there picking apart our secondary. What happened to our blitzing d-coordinator? We are pathetic.

That said, our offense was awful. Much like last year. Brunell suddenly looks injured and slow. He cannot feel the rush. The recievers could not get open. No matter how your defense plays, you wont win many games where your offense scores only 6 points.

Big plays happen occasionally on any defense. I was at the game yesterday, and believe me, the defense did it's part. The offense, however, failed to do anything correctly. They didn't control the ball, at all, so we were stuck with the defense on the field for quite awhile. When the defense is on the field for so long, it's bound to give up some plays/yards, but the D played pretty damned good yesterday.

The defense let the raiders go up and down the field. I don't know what you saw. They cannot get a pass rush, and Collins had allllllll day to throw. You wont win many games letting opposing qb's own you.

The defense let the raiders go up and down the field. I don't know what you saw. They cannot get a pass rush, and Collins had allllllll day to throw. You wont win many games letting opposing qb's own you.

Up and down the field? News flash, they scored 16 points.

News flash look how many yards of offense the Raiders got.

They took the ball from the 5 yard line and pranced up the field for points.

Now the offense cost us the game, but the defense was anything but stellar.

I never said the defense was perfect. They weren't phenominal by any means, but they did their part and played a solid game.

I don't get you naysayers... EVERYTHING is terrible to you guys, everything.

I have been saying for weeks (check my posts if you want proof) that our D is overrated, and they keep proving it game after game. Next week against SD's offense will probably be an embarrassment. Our secondary is pathetic. Beside the Two Shawns, it is pretty much non-existant.

Anyone saying the defense did their part must not have watched the second half of the game. This loss was a total team effort.

I have been saying for weeks (check my posts if you want proof) that our D is overrated, and they keep proving it game after game. Next week against SD's offense will probably be an embarrassment. Our secondary is pathetic. Beside the Two Shawns, it is pretty much non-existant.

Anyone saying the defense did their part must not have watched the second half of the game. This loss was a total team effort.

I'm not quite understanding what is going on with the defense. It is starting to show a trend of looking like a killer D in the first half, then experiencing a total meltdown in the second half. What is causing the jeckell and Hyde routine?

Our Defense GAVE US 15 points (7 in TD and held inside the 10 on 2 occasions for +8)

So we lost 16/13 and the Defense gave us 7 in numbers and 8 in help.

ALL we had to do was score 2 TD's with (Brunell/Moss/Portis/Cooley/Sellers)..

Even 1 FG into a TD would have been a win...

Edit: AND Oakland gave us 102yds in penalties...(still no td) including the 32yd freebie of a Pass Interference call.

Because our Defense can't stop anyone when it counts.. Two weeks in a friggen row I watch a team march down the field on us on a game winning drive. It's pathetic.

You can't lay this one on the Defensive. They held the Raiders to 16 point, shut down their running game, shut out Moss, and scored a TD. This one is on the offensive. Not sure how the could put up 35 on the #1 D in football one week then fail to score a TD against the 21st ranked D. Injuries to WRs played a part but come on!!!

Our talent level has been exposed. i believe the scheme is good. we just don't have the players.

Think they need to go to the 3-4 seem like our linebackers are the strength of this defense the D-line is not very good rely more on the linebackers.

Our defense played fine yesterday. Oakland averages 21 points per game and our defense held them to 16 ... and scored 7.

If the offense can't score more than 6 points on one of the worst defenses in the league, the defense isn't the problem.

Archived