Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defense is Offensive

ATL_Hail

Basically, our offense can get away with anything, but if our defense doesn't get a shutout, it's the defense's fault. I mean come on the offense scored 6 points. Even bad defenses can hold a team to under 6. and Defenses frequently score more points that the offense. I really wish our defense would step up the plate, because the offense is doing it's job.

Our defense played fine yesterday. Oakland averages 21 points per game and our defense held them to 16 ... and scored 7.

If the offense can't score more than 6 points on one of the worst defenses in the league, the defense isn't the problem.

Keep telling yourself that Henry. Harris was getting abused repeatedly in the game yesterday. Whoever lined up opposite of him was the main target on most of the passing downs and when Collins had time (which was pretty much all day) he completed his passes. Look at Porter's stat's.

He had 6 receptions for 142 yards! :shock:

Our defense played fine yesterday. Oakland averages 21 points per game and our defense held them to 16 ... and scored 7.

If the offense can't score more than 6 points on one of the worst defenses in the league, the defense isn't the problem.

True and that what makes it so complex the week before they go out and move the ball at will on one of the better defenses and score 35 points. :mad:

Hey GW A Lb on a wideout doesn't work in this league.

I wouldn't really blame that on GW. I think Taylor actually bit on a pump fake and ended up leaving Marshall 1 on 1 against the WR(I believe it was Porter). Porter was definetely incredible in that game though. Collins had a number of bad passes that Porter snatched and held on to.

Anyone that can hold onto the ball after being buried 6 feet under by ST is a good WR in my book. lol

Offenses are flashy and stuff, you never blame a game on the offense! Duh! People keep trying to make excuses for the defense saying "you can't expect a shutout every game." Well, I've got news for you, that's their job! So why don't you quit making excuses and start hailing the offense.

I think our offense is great because the only fumble 3 times a game. I can't believe our defense doesn't get at least 8 interceptions. Worst D in the league!

Guest sith lord

I'm sorry, but our defense didn't play fine yesterday. Other than stop the run, what did they do right? When we needed stops, they didn't get the job done. And once again, we didn't get any pressure on the QB.

That was a blown coverage on the deep pass although I will agree that Walt Harris is stinking up the joint.

Overall, the Defense played well holding the raiders to 16. Its our offense that I worry about. I dont quite understand the play calling such as 4 deep passes down the left sideline to Jacobs in TIGHT coverage. Its amazing that we max protect and still cant get a pass off. The last play of the game was agonizing b/c it appeared Jansen got beat bad but no help was given in the backfield. I guess I can anlaysis this game all day long and Im just keep kicking that dead horse and hes not getting up!

Question: Is W Harris better when hes covering the slot rec? I thought he eas doing well earlier in the season and he just flat out cant cover or hit. Taylor saved his ass a few times

I'm sorry, but our defense didn't play fine yesterday. Other than stop the run, what did they do right?

They held Oakland to one TD on a superb catch by Porter. The Defense scored a TD, also. The big plays that Oakland did get, they didn't manage to score much. We do need a pass rush and have a problem with that, but the main problem yesterday was the Offense only scoring six points.

Guest sith lord
That was a blown coverage on the deep pass although I will agree that Walt Harris is stinking up the joint.

Overall, the Defense played well holding the raiders to 16. Its our offense that I worry about. I dont quite understand the play calling such as 4 deep passes down the left sideline to Jacobs in TIGHT coverage. Its amazing that we max protect and still cant get a pass off. The last play of the game was agonizing b/c it appeared Jansen got beat bad but no help was given in the backfield. I guess I can anlaysis this game all day long and Im just keep kicking that dead horse and hes not getting up!

Question: Is W Harris better when hes covering the slot rec? I thought he eas doing well earlier in the season and he just flat out cant cover or hit. Taylor saved his ass a few times

No offense, but what defense are we talking about. Even though they only gave up 16 points, they still played badly. If they were playing a good team, they would of given up a lot more. And it's more than just Walt Harris. They did OK against the run and had that interception but that was about it. We couldn't get any pressure on the QB and as far as I'm concerned, Collins was tossing the ball all over the field. Also, they couldn't get any stops when we need them.

Guest sith lord
They held Oakland to one TD on a superb catch by Porter. The Defense scored a TD, also. The big plays that Oakland did get, they didn't manage to score much. We do need a pass rush and have a problem with that, but the main problem yesterday was the Offense only scoring six points.

I'm not saying the defense played worse than the offense. That would be crazy. Yeah, they only gave up 16 points, but lets face it, the Raiders are a bad offense and if we play defense like we did yesterday, next week against the Chargers, it will get ugly fast.

It's not the defenses fault.... It's us relying on them to win the game that is the problem. We have to be aggressor on offense. The 4 and 1 call comes to mind. We are at home and pretty desperate for a win. Nothing better than converting the 4th down play and having the Raiders go "Here we go again".

We all know our defense isn't what it was last year. So why do we continually try and rely on them to win us a ballgame?

The defense played good enough to win... not very good..but good enough but the offense and play calling just was miserable yesterday. And the constant turnovers is just apalling at this point.

Uhhhhhh, Defense 7 - Offense 6. Defense scores a touchdown or we aren't even in the game!! It was the offense that cost us this game. While I'll admit the defense crumbled in the fourth quarter, the offense wasn't able to do anything all game. The defense gets a passing grade for three quarters, the offense failed the whole game! Two field goals does not a game win!

I disagree, the defense is part of the problem. Letting QB's sit back in the pocket to pick you apart is a recipe for disaster like we've seen the past 2 weeks. I don't care what QB is back there if you let him sit back there for 4-7 seconds he's going to find someone open. Thank god we haven't played a team with a scrambling QB lately. And don't give me McNabb he's hurt he's not going to move around that much with that injury he has.

The offense was pathetic yesterday...but to say the defense ISN't the problem is an miscalculation.

I'm sorry, but our defense didn't play fine yesterday. Other than stop the run, what did they do right? When we needed stops, they didn't get the job done. And once again, we didn't get any pressure on the QB.

I agree with the fact that we have no pass rush. It's sad how much time they had to throw the ball. But to hold the Raiders to only 1 touchdown when they have Moss, Jordan, and Porter playing is pretty impressive defense if you ask me. I don't see how anyone can blame the defense for a loss like this when they scored more touchdowns, and prevented the offense from scoring in the redzone 3 times. THAT'S GOOD DEFENSE...simple as that. Our offense laid down on the job yesterday and that's that. Not 1 single touchdown...sad.

Guest sith lord
I agree with the fact that we have no pass rush. It's sad how much time they had to throw the ball. But to hold the Raiders to only 1 touchdown when they have Moss, Jordan, and Porter playing is pretty impressive defense if you ask me. I don't see how anyone can blame the defense for a loss like this when they scored more touchdowns, and prevented the offense from scoring in the redzone 3 times. THAT'S GOOD DEFENSE...simple as that. Our offense laid down on the job yesterday and that's that. Not 1 single touchdown...sad.

I'm certainly not blaiming the defense for this loss. But I don't think they had a good game either.

Our defense only asked our offense to score 10 points. That's it.

Ten points.

Is that perfection? No. But the topic of this thread is not that our defense is imperfect, it's that our defense is 'offensive.'

So, the Raiders figured something out about our defense in the fourth quarter and exploited it. But for all that knowledge and amazing production the Raiders still only managed 6 points in the fourth quarter.

Our offense, on the other hand, managed two three-and-outs. The only first down we earned the entire quarter was that pass to Cooley with 45 seconds left. And what followed that? A four-and-out.

Defense wasn't the problem here. Sure Harris is a liability and we gave up some FGs at the end. But the offense was TERRIBLE. And against a bad Raider defense. That is really a point of concern for me. Not the defense, which played well enough, if not perfectly.

Guest sith lord
Our defense only asked our offense to score 10 points. That's it.

Ten points.

Is that perfection? No. But the topic of this thread is not that our defense is imperfect, it's that our defense is 'offensive.'

So, the Raiders figured something out about our defense in the fourth quarter and exploited it. But for all that knowledge and amazing production the Raiders still only managed 6 points in the fourth quarter.

Our offense, on the other hand, managed two three-and-outs. The only first down we earned the entire quarter was that pass to Cooley with 45 seconds left. And what followed that? A four-and-out.

Defense wasn't the problem here. Sure Harris is a liability and we gave up some FGs at the end. But the offense was TERRIBLE. And against a bad Raider defense. That is really a point of concern for me. Not the defense, which played well enough, if not perfectly.

I'll be the first to tell you that the offense was the "big" problem yesterday. I'm just saying, despite giving up only 16 points, I don't think our defense played all that good. We couldn't get no pressure on the QB and Collins was constantly completing 3rd down passes. The defense didn't break that often, but they did a lot of bending.

Can't blame this on the defense. This week the offense didn't show up, last week it was the defense. If we can ever get both to show up again, we'll be okay.

I remember at the end of the 1st qtr and start of 2nd. We received a punt at the 50.

It took like 7 minutes to drive for a field goal. Most of it was penalities by both teams.

The offense just wasn't hitting on all cylinders. One drive in the third took a grand total of 29 seconds off the clock. The next took 39 seconds. The three and outs

killed us yesterday.

We stunk it up on both sides....The defense did the job stopping the run....Walt Harris played the same as he usually has the past few games, HORRIBLE......and the push on the D Line in the second half was pathetic, Collins sat in there with all the time in the world with 2 tall receivers......geeesh

The O was bad 2... they took away Santana and we were left with Cooly and Jacobs....their D knowing Cooley left it up to Jacobs.... I was not impressed.......Also Robert Royals did not play well either........We had to keep people in to protect Mark and we had 2 receivers out.... how we going to score doing that.....The O Line could not hold back Sapp and Company.......

How frustrating.....it was on the boards last week...we lose and maybe we are mediocre.........I still luv the skins and pull for them....but it appears the people that predicted 8 and 8 do not appear to be far off......

When I started this thread, I was only talking about our defense. I am well aware that our turnovers, and lacking the ablity to sustain a drive in the second half killed us.

But, this defense was touted to be almost as good as ast year. WE ARE NOT. We generated pressure last year this year, ZERO pressure this year. Teams routinely hurry/sack/knockdown to us wth out blitzing, we can rarely get there with a risky blitz.

I am not saying the defense lost us the game, the TEAM lost. But our offense is much impoved this year, and our Defense has fallen back to average. See defensive stats are nice thru 3Q, but show me what you do when it counts in the 4th Q. The top ones stand tall, we do not...

Archived