Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is your best Redskin win memory

dcoles11

Since I love Darrell, I like the game we played aganist Detroit (I think it was in 97' or maybe 96' b/c I thought it was @ RFK). The game went into overtime, and Darrell intercepted the pass and took it 8 yards to the endzone. He basically got carried in. I really liked that.

The place went nuts. I was watching it on TV and the cameras were shakin all over the place. I miss Darrell.

I loved that Giants game in 1991 too...that was the classic "monkey off our back" game.

Also, a few others that stick out for various reasons:

@ Philly in 1996 (made us 8-3 and seemed to wrap up a playoff spot)

vs. NY Giants in 1999 (gave us the sweep over the 2nd best team in the division that year)

vs. Vikings in 1986 (crazy shootout where Clark ends it in OT)

It's a tie.

There was Kenny Houston tackling Cowboys Walt Garrison at the goal line to preserve a Redskins Monday night win in 1973 at RFK. (Still don't know if the laws of physics allow that type of tackle!?) And this year's win at Dallas. Both were pure magic.

One of my favorite moments was enjoying the "seat cushion" game.

"January 4, 1992 - in pouring rain the Redskins beat the Atlanta Falcons 24-7 in the Divisional round of the playoffs. As time winds down in the fourth quarter the fans shower the field with the free yellow seat cushions given to them when they entered the stadium."

Plus, who knew a young Brett Favre got onto the field that day in garbage time?

I knew, we picked him off on his first throw and returned it for a TD.

Great post BTW. Well if the playoffs and SBs are out then for me was that very first game of the 91 season where we just killed the Lions and held them scoreless.

If you guys remember we had a very crappy preseason and just like today not many analysts were giving us much of a chance. The bamm..that first game where I swear I was asking my old man WHO ARE THESE GUYS. Don't forget who was with the Lions at that time (they had a very good team which made it to the playoffs only to get smacked again by us). The best running back since Brown IMO Berry Sanders. man that team and the 85 Bears team should have gone 19-0.

I have 2. The Dallas game this year, because I was there, in my Riggins jersey next to my Cowboy fan wife.

The second also involves Dallas, and while I know they said no playoff games or SB, I have to say the NFC Championship in '82. From Dexter Manley "ringing Danny White's clock" to seeing Grant run that interception in for a TD, that's classic. I was only 11, but I knew that I wanted to beat Dallas more than anything. We had just moved from DC to NC and so I had to represent in my 6th grade class as I was the only Skins fan there. I told my friend that Danny White would go out and Dorsett would get nothing.

On a side note, biggest loss memory. I've only been speechless 3 times in my life, and one of them was watching Marcus Allen run circles around the defense in the Super Bowl. Couldn't believe it.

I really liked the back to back defeats we hung on dallas in RFK and then we beat them in the opening at Fed Ex. That was great! A game that I attended in '84. We were playing the giants and we were trailing in that game and we came back to win 27-24 something to that effect. I just remember it was great because the redskins were losing for most of the game.

One of my favorite moments was enjoying the "seat cushion" game.

"January 4, 1992 - in pouring rain the Redskins beat the Atlanta Falcons 24-7 in the Divisional round of the playoffs. As time winds down in the fourth quarter the fans shower the field with the free yellow seat cushions given to them when they entered the stadium."

Plus, who knew a young Brett Favre got onto the field that day in garbage time?

:point2sky

The first one that came to mind for me was Week 5 of the 2000 season, when we beat Tampa Bay at home 20-17. The whole game was played with a real playoff atmosphere, and guys on both teams were making huge plays. I also remember it as being the game where Deion had his only good punt return for us, and it set us up for the game winning field goal.

Super Bowl blowout vs Denver has been replaced by that MNF game against Dallas this year because:

1. It was the against the Girls

2. It happened on Monday Night

3. It was against Parcells and Gibbs doesn't have the best record against him.

4. Dallas has done that to us many times

5. It was their "homecoming game"

I loved that Giants game in 1991 too...that was the classic "monkey off our back" game.

Also, a few others that stick out for various reasons:

@ Philly in 1996 (made us 8-3 and seemed to wrap up a playoff spot)

vs. NY Giants in 1999 (gave us the sweep over the 2nd best team in the division that year)

vs. Vikings in 1986 (crazy shootout where Clark ends it in OT)

Didn't we have a 100 yard INT return against the Vikings that game- That was a big game- we were getting smoked early. I was thinking about that one

If we cannot name Super Bowls or the playoffs. I am gonna have to say this years Monday Night Game. It was as emotional and defining as any Super Bowl win and the fact that it was in Dallas made it that much sweeter.

yeah, gotta go with this one. We beat them on MNF with Joe Gibbs coaching on the night they put the triplets in they're ring of honor. Kinda hard to beat that in recent memory

Well, my history with this team is also relatively new. I can remember most of our games from 92 on, sadly enough. But aside from that Dallas game earlier this year, the only one that sticks out in my mind as being a big emotional win was the Monday night win at St. Louis in 2000. It's one of my favorite games to watch on tape. The Rams were coming off their super bowl victory and favorites to dominate us. It seemed like that was the game when all those old players we brought in (Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Mark Carrier, Jeff George) all came to play that night.

That was actually a great game--didn't Smith have a safety?

"Games that you didn't think we had a chance in hell to win before the game started, games you didn't think we'd win but made a great comeback, ect..."

Going by those criteria, see if anybody else remembers these:

1983: Redskins 37, Raiders 35 - the two best teams that year. Score swung from 20-7 Skins to 35-20 Raiders and we came back to win. Game felt 5 hours long and I was drained after watching it. Still on some lists as one of the all-time greatest games. Obviously they got payback in the Super Bowl, but let's not speak of that this week...

1983: Redskins 31, Dallas 10 - We'd been a game behind Dallas all year after an opening Monday night loss. Lots of buildup to this game and we went down there and absolutely took them apart.

1986: Redskins 44, Vikings 38 - A total shootout where Jay Schroeder had the ball flying deep left and right. Maybe not that 'important' of a game, just remember it being really fun to watch.

1991: Redskins 17, Giants 13 - Already mentioned. Got us over the hump against NY in a big season.

1999: Redskins 38, Carolina 36 - We were down big by halftime after Biakabatuka (sp?) shredded us on a couple of big runs. Brad Johnson suddenly clicked with Westbrook and Connell and we finally pulled ahead. One of the times that offense was really fun to watch that year.

The Dallas win this year was definitely big, but it'll loom much larger if we pull it together and make the playoffs.

All time. Hard to beat our first Superbowl with Riggins 4&1 play.

Tie but less well known. Our 2nd Superbowl, when Williams twisted his ankle throwing an interception for a TD. For a moment the Redskins were down 0-17. The TD-int was called back. Williams came back like Warren Beatty in "Heaven Can Wait". And the Redskins scored 42 unanswered points.

This season. No contest, the Dallas game with Brunell pulling two hail marys to Santana Moss in double coverage in the final 4 minutes. Absolutely sensational.

My favorite is the trouncing we had when we destroyed the Dallas Cowboys on December 18th, 2005! Below are the stats.

500 yards passing

250 receiving by Moss and 150 by Jacobs and 100 by Cooley

200 yards portis

3 interceptions

kickoff return

------ Has to be the MNF Dallas game this past season. What a treat and I was watching with a Dallas fan. This made it so much sweeter.

Archived