Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is your best Redskin win memory

dcoles11

December 12th, 1992.

Redskins 20, Cowboys 17.

RFK magic at it's best.

You're right...

Awesome game . No one gave us a shot and we were the defending Champs playing against the would be Chumps.

For those who dont remember.. :thumbsup:

The Redskins were the reigning Super Bowl Champs, and they were playing the Cowboys in a must win game late in the 1992 season to make the playoffs. The cowboys road into RFK blasting teams that year and were superbowl favorites. No one gave the skins a chance but we pulled it off.

We scored on a half back pass to Terry Orr from Ernest Byner..

Then with under 2:00 to play and Dallas pinned deep at their own 3 yard line. On 3rd down Dallas decided to pass and a Redskins defensive Lineman knocks the ball out of Aikman's hand and as the mad scramble ensued, the ball was eventually recovered by The Redskins to take the lead and the win 20-17.

That was pure fight by the Redskins to never give up!

Another game comes to mind the last game at RFK Stadium against The Cowboys 35-17?, If I remember the score you know once you start reaching the age I am you tend to forget things :laugh: just being at that game and being with the fans was a great experience of course beating the Cowboys in that fashion.

At the risk of dating myself.. a couple... I know you said no playoffs, but one has to be the game against Minnesota at home that put us in the superbowl.. Coach Joe on his knees as Darrell Green defends a pass at the goal line

However.. the one I remember fondly, mainly because it was a game that my father couldn't be at because he had recently died was the infamous New Year's Eve game against Dallas that put George Allen and Co. into Super Bowl VII... Redskins won 26-3. I remember thinking.. if only dad had lived just a few more months.. he'd be in heaven on earth for sure. Again.. still a playoff game.. but nevertheless... had to love it.

This year's Monday night game, of course.. will go on the list, as will the game against the Giants when Moseley kicked his record-breaking field goal.

I was in LA for Super Bowl XVII and was there for the Riggo 4th and 1... I was robbed at that game.. had no money, no ID... no nothing.. had to rely on fellow fans on money to get me back to the airport.. but we were all happy and I had no problems ;)

There's been a lot... but those are a few of my favorites.

In 1987... during the strike and the replacement players... I loved that Gibbs told our team to stay out as a team, to come back as a team.. and we went into Dallas when Dallas had several of their starters.. we still had all replacement players.. and we still beat their butts!

:laugh:

I was also gonna say the last game at RFK. The emotion was just so thick, everyone wanted a win to cap the place off. A great swan son if you will. But it wasn't against the Cowboys, was it? I was there and I could have sworn we were playing the Cardinals or someone like that, I could be wrong though. Anyway, it was great night and spectacular win during a not so wonderful Turner season. It was the best way to say goodbye to a place that provided us with all these wonderful memories.

I was also gonna say the last game at RFK. The emotion was just so thick, everyone wanted a win to cap the place off. A great swan son if you will. But it wasn't against the Cowboys, was it? I was there and I could have sworn we were playing the Cardinals or someone like that, I could be wrong though. Anyway, it was great night and spectacular win during a not so wonderful Turner season. It was the best way to say goodbye to a place that provided us with all these wonderful memories.

Last game at RFK was against the Cowboys. First game at FedEx was the Cardinals.

One of my favorite moments was enjoying the "seat cushion" game.

"January 4, 1992 - in pouring rain the Redskins beat the Atlanta Falcons 24-7 in the Divisional round of the playoffs. As time winds down in the fourth quarter the fans shower the field with the free yellow seat cushions given to them when they entered the stadium."

Plus, who knew a young Brett Favre got onto the field that day in garbage time?

That was a great one, the seat cushion game, but my favorite non-playoff memory was when the Skins defeated the Houston Oilers in that same year in OT. In 1991 I was in the 8th grade, living in Frederick Co, MD, pretty much the right age to totally live and die by your team (12+ yrs of mediocre teams have made me a little bitter) Their kicker missed a couple of FG's that would have ended the game, but Mark Rypien and Co. pulled out what I think was the 9th win of the year, keeping them undefeated. I can remember screaming and jumping up and down in the living room as the Sonny Sam and Frank made the call (The Dan never should have gotten rid of Frank!!!!!) After the game the Oilers kicker was fired and seen crying in post game interviews.

As for the playoffs, my favorite game was in the 1987 playoffs, against the Chicago Bears. This was back in the days when the Bears were still a GREAT team, and the game was at Soldier Field. The skins were trailing until my favorite all time Redskin, Darrell Green returned a punt (straining his abdomen in the process of a acrobatic hurdle over a defender) for a touchdown. I watched that game in the late hours of the night, living in Germany (my dad was in the Army) Just thinking about the glory days brings a tear to my eyes even today. This team we have today has the potential to re-capture some of that Gibbs magic!!!! :notworthy

If we cannot name Super Bowls or the playoffs. I am gonna have to say this years Monday Night Game. It was as emotional and defining as any Super Bowl win and the fact that it was in Dallas made it that much sweeter.

Ditto I never expected us to pull that one off it is definately a sweet memory

No doubt. That's the best game I've ever witnessed!

It boggles my mind that so many people say that this years Cowboys win was the best "game" ever. Maybe I am just parsing words here but I believe that the "best game" should be the complete body of work..not just the last 4 minutes. The win was HUGE...one of the biggest wins ever....but to say that this was the best game ever is a bet of a stretch. I was there that night and for 56 minutes we had balls dropping at receivers feet....could not sustain a drive....and were getting shut out. The fact is that the miracle finish was just that....4 miracle minutes were everything possible that needed to go our way did....i.e. penalties, 4th down conversions, long strikes, everything. You could go back and look at half a dozen key plays in those last 4 minutes and if ONE of them goes the other way...ballgame Dallas. The ending was one of, if not the best ever....but the game itself was not that great of a game.

Archived