Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What should we do with the donations?

iheartskins

FYI, http://www.mostvaluablekids.org/

Welcome to Most Valuable Kids!

Live sports and entertainment provide a positive source of inspiration for children in a world where there are many negative alternatives. Most Valuable Kids, Inc. (MVK) brings this inspiration, at no cost, to underserved children in the Washington, DC/Baltimore Metropolitan Areas. MVK does this by offering children's organizations access to professional and collegiate sports and entertainment events through an online ticket donation and reward system.

MVK overcomes the financial obstacles associated with live events by distributing unused tickets to children that would enjoy the opportunity to go to an event, but would otherwise not be able to because of the high costs associated with tickets. These tickets are distributed to boys and girls, 18 and under, through the numerous organizations that focus on children in low-income and underserved households.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that by supporting the ES tailgate you would be doing the closest thing to the original intent of the bets.

I live in Japan and never go to any of the games but I still voted for that since it sounds like something cool that probably costs a ****load of money and time to arrange 8 times a season.

It would also be cool if the site started up a new donation thing so that we could all help pay for the tailgate since the site itself it totally paid for now.

Either that or we could do what some other teams have apparently done and buy us a few home game refs. :D

• 3 weeks later...
This is sort of the way I feel about it...I mean, I was going to happily donate the $300 to the site because you guys were running it out of pocket. Now that you've got the Danny's checkbook behind the site, these bets ARE kind of disingenious.

On the other hand, a bet was made, so I feel obligated to man-up and pay the money I pledged (50 bucks so far). The money going to charity sounds like the best idea in my opinion, because its something every ES member can benefit from (if you don't feel good about donating to charity, then you are a cold individual). The tailgate, while it is definitely a good thing, there are what, maybe 100 members that will benefit from that? And something like 20 or 30 members that will continuously benefit? There are a LOT of fans from different locations who will never be able to benefit from this. Luckily, I will be going to the 12/24 Giants game, but I still think this is a bad idea for the money. Huly, Pez, et. al, what you guys do is wonderful, and I don't know how you support the tailgate, but I do believe it is your choice to do so. I would feel the same way if I lived across the street from Fed-Ex and went to every tailgate, so its not because I'm ~5500 miles away.

And the charity idea is chosen, I definitely think a poll should be created with 5-10 different choices and then voted on by the members. That is the fairest way, imho.

The raffle thing is a bad idea as well, because that is COMPLETELY the opposite of what this bet was originally intended for. I for one would be extremely ticked off if the money I originally intended to help offset the cost of this site went to some random person's game tickets. Maybe that's just me...

Another idea that just came to me is setting up an ES charity? That would probably be a lot of work (and I'm by no means volunteering to do it :silly: - also, being that I'm 5500 miles away, I'm probably not the best choice anway), but it could be pretty cool....maybe taking poor inner city kids to Skins games or something like that. Or buying jerseys for them, or something. Since you have "insider" access to the Skins, you'd probably be able to get discounted prices. Just a thought...it would be specific to the site (not some random charity) and would help spread the Redskins love. You could even set up for the kids to be on the sidelines for the games, meet the players, etc. A lot of good could come from it. Just a thought...

I bet you could convince the Danny to match any donations made as well! I'm actually kind of excited about this idea, the more I think about it. If you want, I'd be willing to do a little research into starting a charity. Or maybe some of the lawyers on this site already know some things about it...?

what he said

OK after a little thought on this, if/when the playoff spot is secured, I'll just mail a check to IHeart. Honestly I don't care (is that bad?) where the money goes... I originally pledged it to the site, and that's where it will go. Or if not IHeart, one of the other mods... up to you guys just let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought a bump for this thread was necessary. I completely missed what was decided to do with all this money. I really didn't agree with some of the uses mentioned in this thread...

So.... immediately after the Skins clinched a playoff spot I handed a crisp new $100 bill to Pez & Huly for all their efforts regarding the "Unofficial Tailgate" this season.

Yeah thats right I bet that I would pay up $100 if we made the playoffs. So I paid up, to who I felt deserved the money.

I urge the others who lost their bets others to start paying up too!

HTTR!!

This is sort of the way I feel about it...I mean, I was going to happily donate the $300 to the site because you guys were running it out of pocket. Now that you've got the Danny's checkbook behind the site, these bets ARE kind of disingenious.

On the other hand, a bet was made, so I feel obligated to man-up and pay the money I pledged (50 bucks so far).

I kind of feel the spirit of the bet has been violated with the acquisition of ExtremeSkins by the Washington Redskins.

I didn't mind supporting the message board because you guys were on your own and needed the financial assistance. On the other hand, Dan doesn't need any of my money. So my vote would be to call off the bet.

With that said, I have read that you guys need to take money out of your own pockets to finance the road-trips you make with the team. If this is the case, I would support a fund that you guys could draw from to reimburse your expenses. I'm not talking about the purchase of cigars and ****tails, but for your meals, parking at airports, car rentals, etc.. :2cents:

I have no idea how much loot you guys are talking about here so maybe these aren't doable, but I have a couple of suggestions.

1. I would give a portion to the ES tailgate.

2. I would use some money to try to set up some kind of fan day with the players for ES members. Maybe you could have a party with some of the players at a restaurant in DC, or maybe something out at Redskins Park. I, being geo challenged, wouldn't be able to go, but I bet that would be a ton of fun for extremers in the DC area.

3. I would get some really good tix for some of the geo challenged extremers. A lot of us geo challenges are originally from that area, and love to go to games, but by the time you add up travel costs and the tix it becomes pretty darn expensive. You could do a random drawing, or you could select various members that you want to give the tix to. If you do a random drawing, I would only qualify members for the drawing that had contributed to the site in the past.

:2cents:

I have no idea how much loot you guys are talking about here so maybe these aren't doable, but I have a couple of suggestions.

1. I would give a portion to the ES tailgate.

2. I would use some money to try to set up some kind of fan day with the players for ES members. Maybe you could have a party with some of the players at a restaurant in DC, or maybe something out at Redskins Park. I, being geo challenged, wouldn't be able to go, but I bet that would be a ton of fun for extremers in the DC area.

3. I would get some really good tix for some of the geo challenged extremers. A lot of us geo challenges are originally from that area, and love to go to games, but by the time you add up travel costs and the tix it becomes pretty darn expensive. You could do a random drawing, or you could select various members that you want to give the tix to. If you do a random drawing, I would only qualify members for the drawing that had contributed to the site in the past.

:2cents:

Number 2 is the best idea.That would be a first for any fans site across the league.It would be one for the history books.

• 2 months later...

I'm a big fan of the Joe Salave'a foundation... (being Samoan and all)

To Empower, Educate, and Encourage the youth by providing educational opportunities, sports clinics, and complimentary programs. The foundation is able to achieve its mission through financial contributions from local and off-island businesses and individuals.

I think the best way to donate the money (though I didn't get in on the bet) would be to give it up to the kids on Die Hard's team. What better way for a bunch of footbball fans to spend their money they bet on a football team, than to help kids trying to have fun playing the sport we love?

Hell, you never know, we may get the next Baugh or Jurgenson or Green from his team in the future.

________

Iheart, I think its great to donate for any good cause, hurricane victims are donated and granted by the States Government as they should be, never hurts to add a lil more to help a man get on his his feet.

But at the same time this site brings alot of fans together and gives updates to news about our team and even brings many other fans to the site to make the season fun again now were contenders.

Whats donated to this site should be used for extremeskins to better this site any way it can. Im all for that and very thankful a few men got together to give us fans a place to speak oppinions and rival with other fans, this is a great site and thats why many other teams fans show up, never hurts to make things better ;-)

Steve,

We've actually decided to go with an alternate suggestion which is to request that people that want to donate to something ES related send their donations to a charity related to supporting young kids playing football. See Die Hard's posts in the "April Fools" thread.

Of course, it's up to those people who made pledges/bets whether they want to pay, and if they don't that's absolutely their prerogative--and no judgment will be made by any of us in any way no matter what each person decides.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. :)

Archived