Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins Notebook: Arrington Says He's in the 'Doghouse'

spanishomelette

Redskins Notebook

Arrington Says He's in the 'Doghouse'

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/11/AR2005101101908.html?nav=hcmodule

By Leonard Shapiro

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, October 12, 2005; Page E06

Saying, "I've put myself in the doghouse somehow," Washington Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington has no idea why he's not playing and vehemently disagreed with defensive coordinator Gregg Williams's assertion last week that players who want to be on the field Sunday "have to do it in practice."

During his weekly appearance on the John Thompson Show on WTEM radio, Arrington said yesterday: "Like Coach Williams says, I've got to show them in practice. Well in practice, give me some reps [repetitions] so you can see what I can do. If you're not going to play me, then don't play me. Just don't make things up about why I'm not playing. I'm healthy. I'm of sound mind and body. Don't try to slander me. It's being insinuated that I'm not smart enough to play this defense. That's absurd.

"If you have a guy that you say he needs to prove he knows the schemes, if he doesn't do much of anything, how do you get the opportunity to see if he's improved. That's where I'm at."

Arrington, a three-time Pro Bowl player, was on the Redskins' active roster but did not play in the team's 21-19 loss to the Denver Broncos on Sunday. The week before against Seattle, he was in on two plays.

Coach Joe Gibbs said on Monday he hopes Arrington will play more. He said he didn't play against Denver because he did not figure into the game plan against a team that runs deceptive cutback plays and often throws from outside the pocket.

"If I was making an educated guess, if you go six plays to four plays to two plays to no plays, I would say it's going the opposite way," Arrington said, when Thompson asked him if there was a chance he would play more this season. "As far down as I can go is being inactive. I haven't been put on the inactive list yet. I don't know if it's something they're planning. . . . I'm watching the game [sunday] and I know in my heart I can make a difference.

"When you see close games being won and close games being lost, it's difficult. I was someone this organization leaned on to get through these type of games. It's still 12 weeks to go [in the regular season]. It doesn't seem like this is going to change any. I don't know how to take it, or how to react to it. . . . I'm not someone content on collecting a check. It's what I've been reduced to."

Arrington also indicated he would have no problem playing on special teams if he was asked to do so.

"I approached [special teams coach] Danny Smith," he said. "If he wants me to do something, let's have it. I'm with it. I just want to help. . . . I'm not playing because I can't play. I don't know why I'm not playing. . . . If they put me out there to hit somebody, that's what I'll do.

"I'm to the point now that it's overshadowing what we're doing. I hate that this is where we're at. I'd rather know why I'm in the position I'm in. . . . I can handle you telling me. It's not telling me."

Injury Updates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Redskins got good news on two fronts, learning that starting cornerback Shawn Springs had no structural damage to his bruised shin and that place kicker John Hall's injury is exactly what they thought it was, a strained quadriceps in his kicking leg.

Springs bruised his shin in practice last Thursday and aggravated the injury in the first quarter of the loss Sunday to the Broncos. After having difficulty pushing off, he missed the final three quarters and was replaced by Ade Jimoh.

The Redskins got back the results of Springs's Monday MRI examination, and Bubba Tyer, the team's director of sports medicine, said it confirmed there was no bone break. Springs will be treated for swelling in his lower calf and Tyer indicated his status likely will be listed as day to day.

Hall, who hasn't kicked since the season opener against the Bears, sought a second opinion on his quad injury from Stephen Haas, a Washington orthopedist who is team physician for the Washington Wizards.

"It's the same thing we've been saying," Tyer said. "It's a strained quad. It's getting better. He'll increase his kicking this week. We just need to be cautious in how he practices. Over-kicking would be non-productive. We'll just see how it goes."

Rookie Nick Novak, who scored the game-winning extra point against Dallas and the game-winning field goal against Seattle, almost certainly will handle the kicking chores again this week in Kansas City. Novak also nailed a 53-yard field goal at the end of the first half in Denver, but it was negated by a Washington penalty. The Redskins did not attempt a 58-yard kick; Gibbs indicated he thought that was out of Novak's range, especially on a raw, rainy afternoon.

The Redskins also expect to have starting cornerback Walt Harris back in practice today when they begin full-scale preparations for the Chiefs. He's been out the last two games with a calf injury and could return to the lineup Sunday. Tyer said running back Clinton Portis suffered a mildly bruised calf against the Broncos, but should be able to play.

I see Shapiro has decided to help out LaCanfora with the Redskins notebook. Awful generous of him :rolleyes:

LA doesn't know why he's in the doghouse. That is quite a statement right there. Lindsey is certainly not one to coddle a player having described himself as basically as an unapologetic jerk. It is very evident that George Edwards isn't coaching here anymore.

Whatever may be the case... if it is true that Lavar "vehemently disagreed with defensive coordinator Gregg Williams's assertion last week that players who want to be on the field Sunday 'have to do it in practice.' ", then honestly, shouldn't he know why he's on the bench? Remember what happened to Darkerian, Lavar? After all the struggles at the WR position last year, he still barely played.

Whatever may be the case... if it is true that Lavar "vehemently disagreed with defensive coordinator Gregg Williams's assertion last week that players who want to be on the field Sunday 'have to do it in practice.' ", then honestly, shouldn't he know why he's on the bench? Remember what happened to Darkerian, Lavar? After all the struggles at the WR position last year, he still barely played.

I'm still trying to figure out why we gave him soooo much money to sit him on the bench. You've got to play the guy...why not just make him rush the QB. I think GW might be getting a bit over his head and is acting a bit ****y about this situation. you CANNOT let the second pick in the draft sit on the bench forever.

To expand on that...Actions speak louder than words. He's not playing because the coaches don't think he's ready...That's what he should get out of it I believe. If he doesn't get a lot of reps, then he's really going to have to make the most of those he has. I don't think he's ever been in this type of position before...It will be interesting to see if he steps it up and gets back in there.

The coaching staff has given us no reason to doubt them. I fully expect Arrington is being "disrespected" as a sort of ruse. Just when opponents stop game-planning for him, Williams will bring him back. No need to worry.

Actually, the problem is the coaching staff hasn't done much to make us believe them. They continue to say Lavar is getting better, should play more as the season goes on, just needs to get worked in etc. etc. yet he has played less and less. Until they actually get him back on the field for more then a handful of plays or they just come out and say they don't want him on the field, this issue is NOT going to go away.

How long until this becomes a full blown distraction that could sidetrack the team?

If LaVar isn't getting it done, that is one thing,, if the coaches aren't being straight with him, they're asking for trouble that could be easily avoided.

This is already the biggest issue surrounding the team. Nevermind they are 3-1, that is secondary news.

Nevermind they are in first place deeper into the season than they have been in years.. this is overshadowing it.

Now, with all that said, be prepared for me to throw a little gas on the fire with this week's cartoon.

~Bang

Actually, the problem is the coaching staff hasn't done much to make us believe them. They continue to say Lavar is getting better, should play more as the season goes on, just needs to get worked in etc. etc. yet he has played less and less. Until they actually get him back on the field for more then a handful of plays or they just come out and say they don't want him on the field, this issue is NOT going to go away.

I agree that was a bit of a PR mistake to raise expectations of his playing last week. He may have been speaking more long term than short, but expectations among fans were raised nonetheless.

These are grown men that need to put the personal differences aside for the betterment of the team...I just don't believe that Gibbs is sending a message to him; otherwise why make the effort to settle the difference between LA and the Skins FO?

GW has to be breaking him down to build him back up and lets just hope this works. We need the turnovers he can cause and in fairness to him, he may have been out of control at times but through hard times he played his butt off and unlike Champ and some others, he never asked out....

Where is the ownership team in all of this???? I find it hard to believe Snyder is silently watching this. It's obvious that he supports this direction, otherwise, LA would be playing....Which ultimately makes me wonder if HE isn't the wizard behind the drama. Did Lavar piss him off? What's their relationship like I wonder?

I can't think of any other team in the league that would bench their most talented/difference-maker player with no real explanation. I am tired of the coaching staff's rhetoric because it doesn't make sense.

Just let him play. How can it hurt?

As someone that intensely backs our coaching staff, I have to admit that I'm beginning to scratch my head. A lot of people here think the coaching staff owes the world an explanation. Well, that's not how Gibbs handles his behind the scenes business. However, Joe is usually a straight shooter with his players, and I can only imagine that Greg Williams is the same. So why doesn't LAVAR know why he is on the bench?

I think if LA really wants to get back in the game, he needs to quit doing those interviews on the John Thompson show, and perhaps just avoid the media altogether. I don't think the interviews are helping his cause at all. :(

As someone that intensely backs our coaching staff, I have to admit that I'm beginning to scratch my head. A lot of people here think the coaching staff owes the world an explanation. Well, that's not how Gibbs handles his behind the scenes business. However, Joe is usually a straight shooter with his players, and I can only imagine that Greg Williams is the same. So why doesn't LAVAR know why he is on the bench?

I think if LA really wants to get back in the game, he needs to quit doing those interviews on the John Thompson show, and perhaps just avoid the media altogether. I don't think the interviews are helping his cause at all. :(

I agree...it's now becoming the weekly "Air Dirty Laundry About Gibbs And Williams" show (although I somehow believe that Gibbs may not be one of the coaches he's referring to). At the same time, though, there is some validity to the premise that you can't keep saying "He's not showing it in practice" if he's barely given any plays TO "show it" in practice.

If I were in LaVar's shoes, and I kept hearing my coaches tell the media that I'm not doing enough in practice when I know that I'm not given enough to do in practice...and I kept hearing the media and fans talk about how I'm too "stupid" to learn the defense...I gotta admit, it would be extremely hard to just sit there and watch my reputation get banged up and tarnished week after week, with me being unable to get out on the field and prove everyone wrong. So I can relate to his frustration.

But I think airing it out on the radio every week isn't the smartest thing he could be doing.

I hate to say it, but it really does look like they made a decision to get rid of him ASAP, didn't tell him so they could keep him around this year in case of injury, and are keeping him on the bench to avoid having to pay him any of the incentives in his contract.

You could write off the bizarre benching of Ramsey in the first half of the first game, after an injury, as some sort of unique situation, but now with this...the coaching staff really doesn't look good. At all.

Surely, this wouldn't have anything to do with the contract dispute. Wasn't it agreed that LA would receive x amount of dollars if he played x amount of the time? If so, and I stand corrected if I'm wrong, but by not playing him would ensure he doesn't get the chance to meet the criteria needed for his pay day.

I'm still trying to figure out why we gave him soooo much money to sit him on the bench. You've got to play the guy...why not just make him rush the QB. I think GW might be getting a bit over his head and is acting a bit ****y about this situation. you CANNOT let the second pick in the draft sit on the bench forever.

I totally agree!! With all the trouble we're having at forcing turnovers and coming up with sacks, and we have a guy SITTING on our bench who's known for big plays and you just don't play him AT ALL??!? That's crazy!! I also think that G. Williams is gettin' a lil ****y, he's feelin' himself right now. And if I was LaVar, i'd start to take it personally because that's what it seem's like it is....PERSONAL!

Nobody can tell me that Warrick Holdman and Chris Clemons are better OLB's than LaVar!! Not even on their BEST day! The bottom line is, L.A. need's to play and he need's to play soon. G. Williams need's to stop messaging his ego for a second and put LaVar in!!

He's earned his stripes!! He's been here through all the losing, all the coaching changes, all the scheme's!! You don't do a loyal REDSKIN, because that's what he is, like this. Ask ANY other Def. Coord. would they bench a healty LaVar Arrington and he'll probrably slap the :censored: outta you!!!

G. Williams need's to stop messaging his ego for a second and put LaVar in!!...Ask ANY other Def. Coord. would they bench a healty LaVar Arrington and he'll probrably slap the :censored: outta you!!!

Like I just said on another thread, I think this is more Coach Gibbs's way of doing things than Williams, and Williams has adopted the approach, because it's also the way Gibbs has handled Ramsey, although Ramsey is less likely to speak up in public.

Archived