Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins Notebook: Arrington Says He's in the 'Doghouse'

spanishomelette

I've at least skimmed this whole thread and don't think I've seen this addressed ...

LA told Coach that he wasn't getting reps in practice. Really? What is he doing then, standing on the sidelines ... or is he running with the other backups on scout team duty and the like? Big difference.

If he's healthy and not practicing AT ALL, I'd agree with him that Williams' comments are rather hard to reconcile. But is he's just not practicing with the STARTERS, his comments ring hollow. We'd want him to be proving it there before moving back up, no?

The flaw in that line of thinking Om, is Coach Williams has often stated all his defensive players are considered starters. This would lead me to believe at some point in practice, every player gets reps with the "first unit,".... except LaVar.

I've at least skimmed this whole thread and don't think I've seen this addressed ...

LA told Coach that he wasn't getting reps in practice. Really? What is he doing then, standing on the sidelines ... or is he running with the other backups on scout team duty and the like? Big difference.

If he's healthy and not practicing AT ALL, I'd agree with him that Williams' comments are rather hard to reconcile. But is he's just not practicing with the STARTERS, his comments ring hollow. We'd want him to be proving it there before moving back up, no?

Om,

According to Jansen last night, LA is NOT playing with the scout team. He couldn't speak to how much time he was getting with which unit when the O and D split, but he confirmed that LA isn't playing with the scout team or with the first unit when the starting O and D face off.

The only other thing I can remember hearing is that Tandler reported last week that LA was working with the D line some.

I truly hope Lavar ends up in Philly. We can then exploit his evident weaknesses! What a huge advantage for us! Kinda like Trotter....no?!!!

let's just get rid of him. eat the cap hit and end the distraction. otherwise...playing games with one less player than the oppositon would appear to be patently idiotic. get rid of him and fil lthe spot with a player who can get onto the field. we don't need him! let him sign with philly or the gints tomorrow.

Why play Marcus Washington on Special Teams, what if he gets hurt. Wouldn't you like a physical specimen and solid hitter like Lavar busting a wedge or two. Surely he is smart enough to do that. It doesn't take a genious to see we are being lied to by the Redskins organization. It is sickening. Those who don't believe it, take off your burgundy and gold shades.

i don't understand why no special teams. i know williams considers it the first play of a series etc, but you can't trust lavar with at least that? something personal is definately going on.

A thing that struck me as a very emotionally "tied to my team" teenager was how aging or injured veterans like Theismann or Riggins were let go. It stung. I always thought Gibbs and Co. were pretty cold when they decided a players time was up. Lavar's sitiuation is different considering his age, but it is so sad to me. Do I love the Redskins and their 3-1 start? Yes. Did it pain me to see Tatum Bell outrun our defense? Yes. Lavar is my favorite player on the team. I sit in section 101. I made a sign before the Detroit playoff game that said "We Want Arrington" and held it up toward the owners box. Snyder was surveying the field with Cerrato and spotted the sign, pointed it out to Vinny, and Vinny smiled and acknowledged it. Those were the best of times. The Redskins had returned to the playoffs and ended up drafting the very player that I thought was impact. I've read all of the undisciplined comments and never gave them much credence. Lavar has made great plays for this organization. His agents screwed up his contract and I think he should've dropped it, but understand (from a business standpoint) why he didn't. My excitement for a pair of playmakers in Arrington and Taylor has hardly made an impact. They've barely been on the field together. My son is nine years old and if he were on the panel that was mentioned earlier in the thread, his first question would've been the same. Why isn't Lavar playing? His first question every week..."Is Lavar playing?" We want to see our favorite player contributing to the Redskins return to glory. As for his airing it out in the media, what is the first question he is asked every time a mike is in his face? I do not blame him one bit for defending himself where his intelligence come into question. Nor do I blame him for disputing the fact that he can't show them if he doesn't get the reps. Williams was public with it last Thursday...before Lavar was. Gibbs and Williams have also hinted that he would get more time, but instead he got less. How can a guy like that not fit in every package? It is very disheartening to see this play out. If he does hit the field, especially at FedEx, you listen to the crowd erupt. I wish him the best and hope it is with the Redskins..and soon.

Good Post. In addition I think Lavar was very humble on Thompson't show. I personally think him and the coaches should talk.

You need to read the quote from Member 22628 and maybe then you'll understand what I'm trying to explain to you.

now your tell me to read someone elses posts? LOL!!!!! if your having a hard time explaining your side of the story....why try to explain it? LOL!!!!!

now you say

It's about management and it's PERSONAL!!!

explain....how is it personal? do you really think they chose not to start arrington because of the car he drives? or is it his haircut?...that must be it....gibbs doesn't like Arrington because of his haircut!!!!! or did Arrington wear a t shirt one day that said Spurier is god!!!!! how is it personal?

the way I look at is.....it's ALL business.....something Arrington has been screaming all along crying about the money (Arrington would say the same thing...its business)....but arrington has yet to live up to his side of the bargain with off season activitys with this coaching staff....it's all business when it comes to players filling a roster spot...btw....you might want to rethink who needs to get a grip ;)

The flaw in that line of thinking Om, is Coach Williams has often stated all his defensive players are considered starters. This would lead me to believe at some point in practice, every player gets reps with the "first unit,".... except LaVar.

That's an assumption, RZ. Maybe a good one, but still an assumption. And coaches say a lot of things for public consumption. :)

On a more serious note, it also forces a conclusion that if LA is practicing at all, which we have to assume he is, the coaches are willfully and intentionally singling him out and adjusting/juggline personnel on those few packages he IS in on so that LA doesn't get any first team snaps. Frankly, I'm having a hard time envisioning that, especially as it would negatively impact the ten other guys in a given package by not having all the applicable pieces in place.

But that's just assumption, too. As is approximately 100% of what's been posted in this and other 934 similar threads.

There's a disconnect here somewhere, clearly. But until and unless I hear otherwise, I'm going to continue to believe that the coaches do in fact have the team's best interests in mind here in handling this situation as they are.

I've always liked LA---his spark, his amazing athleticism, his laconic speech---but have also always wondered just how much truth there really was to the persistent whispers about his ability/willingness to play within a scheme.

Given the professionalism and clear signs of progress these coaches have exhibited and coaxed from this long-slumbering team, I'm inclined to believe that there is in fact a method to their madness, and that it's about that propensity of his finally coming home to roost. I also firmly believe that it's about what's best for the team---short and long term---more than it is about the potential hurt feelings of any one player, regardless of past accolades, or about risking the wrath of the certain elements of the fan base.

They know what LA can do, and what he can't or won't. They really do. These guys are GOOD at this stuff.

And they want to win. They REALLY do. They've shown they're getting better and better at that of late, too.

Bottom line, I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt in how they go about that, even when it comes to a local icon like LaVar and what appears to those of us not in the coaches meeting rooms to be a rather confusing set of contradictions.

Im a firm believer in team chemistry, this kind of situation can only hurt the team. For years we have had losing season after season and finally this year we have a chance to change some things. Our coaches and players need to get on the same page before this situation could destruct a great defense! Just when the offense seems to start gelling now some defensive issues arise.. Coaches and players need to straighten this out before its to late!

Om,

According to Jansen last night, LA is NOT playing with the scout team. He couldn't speak to how much time he was getting with which unit when the O and D split, but he confirmed that LA isn't playing with the scout team or with the first unit when the starting O and D face off.

The only other thing I can remember hearing is that Tandler reported last week that LA was working with the D line some.

Thanks, I didn't hear that last night.

Assuming THAT is the actual situation (which I do but with a grain of salt until we get a definitive statement from SOMEONE at the Park) ... disregard everything in my above post before ... "There's a disconnect here somewhere, clearly."

The rest stands. :)

Om,

Agree, the Coaches have set the tone all the back to the Coles situation.

Its not about how much money your getting paid, its team concept first

and all those guys have a year or so playing together and they know

what the coaches want. Lavar gets his chance sooner or later. We all

know how particular Gibbs is Williams must be just as nitpicky about the little things.

dadirtbag.....my my we have a short memory...I remember JG repeatedly stating during the offseason that the health of Lavar's knee was the first priority and that he would be brought along slowly...that full activity would not be approved until the medical staff rogered up.

agree with you on the business part. disagree on the off-field activities.

as I ahve stated elsewhere...if the coaching staff believes LA doesn't fill the bill (as they apparently do) then take the hit, let him go and maybe worsen things in philly or NY!

now your tell me to read someone elses posts? LOL!!!!! if your having a hard time explaining your side of the story....why try to explain it? LOL!!!!!

now you say

explain....how is it personal? do you really think they chose not to start arrington because of the car he drives? or is it his haircut?...that must be it....gibbs doesn't like Arrington because of his haircut!!!!! or did Arrington wear a t shirt one day that said Spurier is god!!!!! how is it personal?

the way I look at is.....it's ALL business.....something Arrington has been screaming all along crying about the money (Arrington would say the same thing...its business)....but arrington has yet to live up to his side of the bargain with off season activitys with this coaching staff....it's all business when it comes to players filling a roster spot...btw....you might want to rethink who needs to get a grip ;)

Man you really believe during the course of any football game Lavar's ability couldn't be used? Do you really believe that? And of course its personal. Lavar I'll admit ruffled some feathers last season but hell he's not the 1st star on a team to do it. Look at Dennis Rodman, Dexter Manley, Terrell Owens. Lavar was wrong in some things last season too but these coaches are just as wrong for playing games and lying. At the end of the day put your best players on the field.

We had two of those last week... hmmm.

Yeah, but only the 34 yarder was to Holdman's side, which is where LaVar would have been.

I think it's not Gibbs or Williams at fault. Both have said they think we're a better team with LaVar on the field. Also, Williams has said he defers to his position coaches, so I think it's Lindsey who's decided not to put LaVar on the field. I think it's gone beyond professional and business; it's gotten personal.

As far as LaVar not being able to play in a disciplined system goes, I'd have to say his year with Schotty would prove that wrong.

That was by far his best year as a pro, IMO, and it's not like Gibbs and Williams are significantly more strict than Schottenheimer and co.

I don't know the reason behind LaVar not playing, but at this point the whole situation is getting ridiculous. It's good that the coaches are in charge, but at some point strong-arming players like this will hurt team chemistry.

Then again, if we keep winning, it doesn't really matter what LaVar says or does. But I find it hard to believe that putting LaVar in there instead of Holdman wouldn't help us win games, and it's especially hard to believe that it'd hurt us.

A thing that struck me as a very emotionally "tied to my team" teenager was how aging or injured veterans like Theismann or Riggins were let go. It stung. I always thought Gibbs and Co. were pretty cold when they decided a players time was up.

Actually, the knock on Gibbs the first time around was that he was too loyal to his aging veterans and always kept a guy around a year or two too long. One of the reasons for our steep decline after he left was the the team got very old, very fast becuase we were carrying too many guys who should already have been eased out.

As far as LaVar not being able to play in a disciplined system goes, I'd have to say his year with Schotty would prove that wrong.

That was by far his best year as a pro, IMO, and it's not like Gibbs and Williams are significantly more strict than Schottenheimer and co.

I don't know the reason behind LaVar not playing, but at this point the whole situation is getting ridiculous. It's good that the coaches are in charge, but at some point strong-arming players like this will hurt team chemistry.

Then again, if we keep winning, it doesn't really matter what LaVar says or does. But I find it hard to believe that putting LaVar in there instead of Holdman wouldn't help us win games, and it's especially hard to believe that it'd hurt us.

There's difference between team discipline and a disciplined defensive scheme. Schotty made guys wear suits to travel, etc. but his defense wasn't as exacting as GW's is. Schotty used LaVar the same way he used to use Derrick Thomas in KC, that's why LaVar looked so good. The system was already designed for a LB just like him.

Actually, the knock on Gibbs the first time around was that he was too loyal to his aging veterans and always kept a guy around a year or two too long. One of the reasons for our steep decline after he left was the the team got very old, very fast becuase we were carrying too many guys who should already have been eased out.

Call it like you see it. I remember Theismann not having an opportunity (maybe he didn't want it, but I recall differently) to regain his job. Same with Riggo. George Rogers was brought in. Were the Redskins veteran laden? Absolutely. We are talking about two different periods in Gibbs first stint. The first period started to end (to me) with the home playoff loss to the Bears and the subsequent 1985 season. Theismann was injured and never returned. Rogers had more carries than Riggins and even Keith Griffin carried over 100 times. The 1986 season saw the influx of USFL players like Kelvin Bryant, Ricky Sanders, and Clarence Verdin and was entertaining and an adjustment year. 1987 was the second Super Bowl year and could hardly be considered an old team. 3 games were won by the replacement team (largely young and ex-USFL players) and the team didn't really hit it's stride until week 11. By the 1991 and '92 seasons, the aging veterans were the offensive linemen, and some of the originals had long since been replaced by the likes of Lachey and R.C. Theillman, veterans in their own right. Remember Mo Elowonibi? How about a young Ray Brown? Anyhow, Gibbs got mileage out of Doug Williams late in his career, but this doesn't compare to Lavar's situation. Is Lavar a kindred spirit? Sure. So were Riggo, Dexter, and Gary Clark, and I don't think Lavar compares with any of the three where shock waves are the basis. I am a loyal Washington Redskins fan but I do not like the way this has been handled.

Man you really believe during the course of any football game Lavar's ability couldn't be used? Do you really believe that? And of course its personal. Lavar I'll admit ruffled some feathers last season but hell he's not the 1st star on a team to do it. Look at Dennis Rodman, Dexter Manley, Terrell Owens. Lavar was wrong in some things last season too but these coaches are just as wrong for playing games and lying. At the end of the day put your best players on the field.

I'll ask you than...how is it personal?

this is a business guys!!!! true...you want the best players on the field...but Gibbs is looking for the best attitudes on the field.....come on guys...do you really think Gibbs would sit Lavar just to sit him?

Does not make any sense!!!!! Lavar is sitting because of all the past problems within the skins organization prior to Gibbs

I read articles about Spurier how he let the players control practices.....how these players were bringing in Cell phones to practice and team meetings...how these players showed up late and left early for practice and for team meetings......Now....I'm not saying Lavar was one of those players....but who knows....that makes more sense than "just sitting your best player because it's personal"

A trip down memory lane

The coach also was hurt by an inability to enforce discipline, especially after defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis left to become the Cincinnati Bengals’ head coach.

The Redskins set a franchise record for penalties this season, and players described a lax atmosphere in which tardiness was tolerated, cell phones rang during meetings, and on-field errors weren’t corrected at practice.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3824388/

Gibbs at the helm

He'll have to get used to free agency and instant replay, but don't think for a minute he'll tolerate the cell phones and the eccentricities of today's young players. When I covered the Redskins for the Washington Post in the 80s, Joe Gibbs had his hand in everything. He was a control freak who slept at the office and who wanted lunch pail, work ethic players. At the same time, he knows how to deal with egos. He had Riggins and Theismann and Dexter Manley eating out of the palm of his hand. He's a people person.

http://hglospie.tripod.com/BUBBA/Joe%20Gibbs.htm

one point about practice, during game week, practice on the field is limited, and important

not the time to shuffle lineups to s how one player is doing.ee

Hence the problem. Why doesn't Greg just say that we are happy with the direction we are going in. Say it was an unlucky scenario that LA got hurt. Say that LA is not going to get reps because they are hard to come by during the season. Why not say, we will play him on teams and see how he can help us there. Why did Sean Taylor not recieve the same treatment. Why coach, why??? Who is lying? Lavar or Williams and Gibbs? Right now it sounds like the coaches are.

Hence the problem. Why doesn't Greg just say that we are happy with the direction we are going in. Say it was an unlucky scenario that LA got hurt. Say that LA is not going to get reps because they are hard to come by during the season. Why not say, we will play him on teams and see how he can help us there. Why did Sean Taylor not recieve the same treatment. Why coach, why??? Who is lying? Lavar or Williams and Gibbs? Right now it sounds like the coaches are.

Gibbs doesn't lie

period

Sean Taylor ? he had to work his way up from 3rd team during camp

Taylor didn't miss training camp....I know...i know...Arrington was hurt.....guys....he got hurt last season during the third game.....has been out up until two weeks of this years reg season!!!!! come on....he was milking it....the coaches aren't stupid....they might be playing stupid now to prove a point....but it is time for Lavar to step up to the plate and deliver!!!!! show up when he isn't supose too....show up to meetings early...stay late......show he wants to be a redskin......if Lavar put as much energy into being at all team meetings and practices as he does for these interviews....maybe we wouldnt be having this conversation!!!!

Archived