Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lavar on 980 today at 4:00 pm

NastyBoy

---------------

This isn't easy.... Aren't the drugs though??? Seriously, let's say LA doesn't see the field anymore this year via trade or the coaches yelping about "intellectual ineptitude", are you prepared to say it was b/c he couldn't pick up the playbook and play in at least one package? Would you be willing to honestly say that's the real reason??? Or is he picking up where Lavaerneous Coles and Snyder left off (albeit different players (LA) and the coaching staff (take your pick).

Until this past weekend I would've bet my last dollar he'd be STARTING before this season was out. Now, i wouldn't bet he'd see the field. I mean, let you folks tell it, he doesn't know how to tie his shoes. This IS a farce!!!

I still think he'll see the field again, but it's up to him and it's likely up to him beyond simply learning his assignment and showing he is assignment sure. My guess is it does hurt him to suggest he doesn't know why he's not playing when he did know and everyone around him knew and he has had constant, DAILY feedback as to why he's not playing.

The fact that he is having trouble not only learning his assignments but carrying them out in practice when he DOES know them hurts him. I don't know that it's really even an intellectual thing so much as a simple lack of discipline. I pointed out a play toward the end of the Bronco game. It was a boot by the Broncos. Holdman saw the boot. It was a tantalizing play for a linebacker. He had to be thinking, "Go get him and lay him out." But, he didn't do that. He slammed down finding the tight end coming from the inside out, removing the safe receiving option for Plummer. Daniels pressed up. Taylor came from the outside.

It was a beautifully defensed boot. And had Lavar been at defensive end OR linebacker given his nature, he likely would have played it wrong from both spots, but not because he didn't KNOW his role. More, because he's trying so hard to make something happen, he lets his eyes and instincts lead him rather than his mind.

At backer, Lavar would have went streaming to the QB leaving a 30-yard-pass in his wake. At end, Lavar would have pinched down on the fake, leaving the running lane open. What the team is trying to do with Lavar is get him to play without thinking. Play with athleticism because he's system sound, not because he's playing on his own individual instinct.

This has always been a problem for Lavar. Clearly it's not going to be the team's problem with this staff. At some point, yes, Lavar will get more stable and with hope he doesn't do the things to hurt himself that he tends to do with his drama queen behavior at times.

But, the facts are simple. Any play where Lavar has to play system sound, the team doesn't yet trust him to perform it. He's only got a very narrow number of available plays where the process of making those decisions is narrowed and we don't run many of those in a game.

Ghost,

You DO understand, don't you, that Lavar was on the field for mini-camps and practice sessions in the off season and training camp and wasn't behind at all in a new defense that was somewhat more streamlined than this one? You're aware that THIS year he got no physical reps in an increasingly complex system throughout the off season and into training camp.

That he's behind seems perfectly reasonable. There's likely an element of his mental makeup -- not stupidity -- that also is at play here. In any case, why a QB might wear a wrist band is extremely different as to why a backup linebacker might.

That you don't seem to know this is scary.

Nibbs I agree that you made a good point, i.e. there are many players playing with armbands nowadays. For example, I saw Urlacher wearing one in last Sunday's game. However, the problem is that even WITH THE ARMBAND LaVar still makes boneheaded plays. Sterling Sharpe showed two of them on Playbook the other day.

The fact is that Williams is a lot like M. Lewis. He wants you to be where you're supposed to be and do what you're supposed to do-every time. I suspect that even when the results are good, if the player has freelanced Williams is still probably going to give him an earful about it because in the long run that play goes against us more often than for us. That's the whole point of having a "system".

The really sad thing about this is that LaVar could put the kybosh on this whole story once and for all and win himself some points with the team and coaches. All he has to do is have the cojones to come out and publicly say something to the effect that "I'm struggling with the system and until I get it down pat coach has told me I won't be playing. I'm fine with that and I'm working hard on it and I'll get it down". Story goes away and fans :stfu: all at once. At that point I suspect Williams might even be willing to cut him the tiniest bit of slack if he screws up periodically, so long as it doesn't happen too often.

Nibbs I agree that you made a good point, i.e. there are many players playing with armbands nowadays. For example, I saw Urlacher wearing one in last Sunday's game. However, the problem is that even WITH THE ARMBAND LaVar still makes boneheaded plays. Sterling Sharpe showed two of them on Playbook the other day.

The fact is that Williams is a lot like M. Lewis. He wants you to be where you're supposed to be and do what you're supposed to do-every time. I suspect that even when the results are good, if the player has freelanced Williams is still probably going to give him an earful about it because in the long run that play goes against us more often than for us. That's the whole point of having a "system".

The really sad thing about this is that LaVar could put the kybosh on this whole story once and for all and win himself some points with the team and coaches. All he has to do is have the cojones to come out and publicly say something to the effect that "I'm struggling with the system and until I get it down pat coach has told me I won't be playing. I'm fine with that and I'm working hard on it and I'll get it down". Story goes away and fans :stfu: all at once. At that point I suspect Williams might even be willing to cut him the tiniest bit of slack if he screws up periodically, so long as it doesn't happen too often.

Ding.

The last part at least :).

-------------

Of course this all presumes what you wrote was fact. I mean, why would he (LA) say something he clearly doesn't believe is true??

-------------

Of course this all presumes what you wrote was fact. I mean, why would he (LA) say something he clearly doesn't believe is true??

Oh, it's a fact. And Lavar knows it is. He doesn't help himself by not acknowledging what everyone on the team knows. He doesn't have to agree. But he can't deny the existence of the reason that his defensive friends fully get and everyone in the organization gets and that Lavar has been told on a daily basis.

On this VERY message board we were told by Marcus Washington that Lavar is still catching up on the system. If he knows it, you can bet Lavar does.

Ghost,

You DO understand, don't you, that Lavar was on the field for mini-camps and practice sessions in the off season and training camp and wasn't behind at all in a new defense that was somewhat more streamlined than this one? You're aware that THIS year he got no physical reps in an increasingly complex system throughout the off season and into training camp.

That he's behind seems perfectly reasonable. There's likely an element of his mental makeup -- not stupidity -- that also is at play here. In any case, why a QB might wear a wrist band is extremely different as to why a backup linebacker might.

That you don't seem to know this is scary.

That I don't seem to know what. You spent more time on another point and then had one sentence about the QB wearing a wrist band--so I'm not certain which you were referring to.

As I stated in my lengthy response to you, other players wear the "QB Wrist Band" than just QBs and I don't think it's because of how behind or stupid they are. Again--other players not named Brady and not playing QB wear them. No one uses it to accuse them of being stupid OR of not being up to speed(for WHATEVER reason.)

As for the rest of what you said--I said that it's reasonable that he's behind, lacks confidence, any number of factors and that it's very reasonable that if the coaches don't think he should be out there 50 plays, then that's fine and understandable.

But there's a big difference between 50-60 defensive snaps and 0. There's also a difference between saying one thing earlier and saying something different later.

And again, one can disagree with the degree of an action without being completely hysterical about it. I make my points, I move on. I don't start repetitive threads about or the like. I don't think my views are irresponsible or unreasonable. But again, I was making a point about something specific and you overreacted with the "he's comparing Arrington to Brady!" I never did, and the entire lavar argument got reoepened as a result. It's really that simple.

Ghost,

The comparison as to why a starting QB or captain and play caller of a defense might wear a wrist band and why a backup linebacker might are distinctly different. Know this. Know it to the very core of your being. Quit making others explain the obvious. There IS NO REASON TO MENTION other players who call plays wear wrist bands so there are reasons OTHER than not knowing the defense as to why Lavar might, because, that NO reason those players wear them is why Lavar isn't. You know this simply by knowing he's sitting on the bench and not calling plays.

You don't make your points and move on. You restate the same inane comments over and over and over. You did so in the Ramsey thread. You've done so with Lavar, even going so far as to suggest a former head coach in the NFL can't really know anything about defensive play and he should stick to the offensive line. That, my friend, is hysteria. That is irresponsible and unreasonable.

As is comparing the captain and playcaller of a team on either side of the ball to Lavar when it comes to wearing a wrist band.

One final point is the defensive staff doesn't think Lavar shouldn't be out there for 50 plays. They feel he shouldn't be out there for ONE play. That is awfully telling at the moment.

Well, I know this much, In preseason, he was put on second team D, and he was lighting things up, so it isn't that he isn't good enough. I really think had lavar been playing, those two big runs wouldn't have happened.

Well I think I, and a lot of people on this board, feel that if he was in more there would have been more than 2 big runs.

Well I think I, and a lot of people on this board, feel that if he was in more there would have been more than 2 big runs.

And if LaVar had been in, they may not have gone 3 straight games without a turnover on Defense. However, that is all a matter of personal opinion.

I think this comes down to a matter of the coaching staff being overly cautious. Until LaVar learns the system and doesn't freelance, they aren't going to play him in a close game. Sure, if they're down by 14 in the 4th quarter, you bet your ass he'll be in there trying to make something happen, but when they are in striking distance, he's not going to play b/c Williams fears they may miss an assignment with him in the lineup and have it cost them on a blitz.

Again, whether right or wrong, that's their thinking. If we lose this week or go another week without a turnover, I think some things will change and you'll see more of him.

I do find it funny that last season he knew the system well enough to start the first week and play very well. He must have forgot everything over the offseason.

There has been a lot of talk about apples-to-oranges in this thread and I think the answer may be pretty simple. I don't know the answer offhand because I haven't really looked that closely but here is my apples-to-apples:

How many other players on the Redskins' defense are wearing wrist-bands?

If the answer is several of the LBs, including Warrick Holdman, then Lavar (and Ghost) is probably vindicated.

If the answer is nobody then its pretty clear that Lavar is behind.

Doc just said that Dallas took the Eagles' manhood. Also made a crack about how Dallas' fans disappear when they aren't doing well.

E-Dog:

Ya got that right! They tend to be in your face the week of the game, but tuck their tails and run when they lose. Poor losers. I don't like the Giants, but I hope they "hand it" to them this week in Dallas.

anybody who thinks lavar's learning curve is still like a hockey stick is truly clueless. the reason he is not playing has got absolutely nothing to do with his mental or physicl abilities. wake up and smell the coffee. he is probably one of the smartest guys on the team.

Three words and one symbol completely fly in the face of LaVar having an IQ over 90:

Kevin & Carl Poston

;)

Would Lavar be better suited at SS maybe? I mean hell Bowen already makes boneheaded mistakes, I'm sure Lavar could do that. And he would be a lot better at stopping the run I believe.

This has always been my idea exactly! He can do 10 times the job as Bowen. We could have Taylor at weaks S and Arrington at strong S. Dam!, Who wouldn't want see Lavar hit from the safety position!

but of course a rookie can come in, after a holdout, and master the system. please...while there may be some credence to the arguments being splattered over this web site...there are obviously other reasons as well.

the bottom line is that we are frittering away yet another high draft choice: IT'S POOR PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT AND LONG TERM TEAM BUILDING NO MATTER WHERE THE FAULT LIES.

Agreed. Springs and Harris can expect zero help on deep plays if that's the case

You don't think he is FAST ENOUGH? He is probably at least the 3rd fastest guy on the whole defense. Probably the second fastest behind Springs. Lavar plays better when he is moving. At safety he would have more space and he has the SPEED to play the position. He would lack quickness. He would have caught that guy Sunday that Bowen couldn't.

You don't think he is FAST ENOUGH? He is probably at least the 3rd fastest guy on the whole defense. Probably the second fastest behind Springs. Lavar plays better when he is moving. At safety he would have more space and he has the SPEED to play the position. He would lack quickness. He would have caught that guy Sunday that Bowen couldn't.

Are you serious? He's never played safety before, he doesn't have the instincts for it. He'd be out of position every time a pass went beyond 15 yards. Where are these people coming from?

LOL, he may be fast for his size but he is far from the fastest player. Carlos Rogers, Ade Jimoh, Shawn Springs, Sean Taylor, Matt Bowen, Walt Harris, Pierson Prioleau and Omar Stoutmire are all faster than Lavar.

By the way, Gregg Williams said that Rogers and Jimoh are the two fastest guys on the team much less the defense.

Archived