Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Legislation would require pet to be included in evacuations

jpillian

Legislation would require pet to be included in evacuations

More would leave if pets allowed, lawmakers say

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/22/katrina.pets.ap/index.html

Thursday, September 22, 2005; Posted: 2:36 p.m. EDT (18:36 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Federal disaster grants to state and local governments should be conditioned on how they accommodate pets in their evacuation plans, say lawmakers disturbed that some Hurricane Katrina victims refused to leave home because they couldn't take their animals with them.

"I cannot help but wonder how many more people could have been saved had they been able to take their pets," Rep. Tom Lantos, D-California, said Thursday.

Lantos and Reps. Christopher Shays, R-Connecticut, and Barney Frank, D-Massaschusetts, are sponsoring a bill that would require that state and local disaster preparedness plans required for Federal Emergency Management Agency funding include provisions for household pets and service animals.

More than 6,000 pets have been saved in Mississippi and Louisiana, said Michael Markarian, executive vice president of the Humane Society of the United States, but tens of thousands more could still be in New Orleans alone. Texas, he said, has been better at allowing people to take their pets with them ahead of Hurricane Rita but a formal policy is still needed.

"We cannot rely on individual acts of compassion," Markarian said.

Holly Hazard, executive director of the Doris Day Animal League, said there are 4,000 outstanding requests to rescue pets more than three weeks after Katrina hit.

While the legislation may draw attention to the issue, it doesn't "have any real meat in it," said Sara Spaulding, a spokeswoman for the American Humane Association. She said uniform protocols on rescuing and sheltering animals, for example, should be formulated at the federal level with consultation from animal welfare groups.

From AOL:

Galveston Pets Get the OK to Travel

Volunteer - Foster - Search

Petfinder.com's Animal Emergency Response Network is now available to rescuers, victims and volunteers to assist pets displaced by the hurricanes.

PetFinder.com

Hoping to avoid the catastrophe that hit New Orleans with Hurricane Katrina, the mayor of Galveston has devlared that her residents may take their pets along on the evacuation buses if the animals are in cages.

"We found that so many people didn't want to leave New Orleans because they didn't want to leave their pets behind," said Mayor Lyda Ann Thomas.

Pet owners can call 409-763-8477 to make arrangments.

The following is a list, provided by the Galveston County Animal Shelter in Texas City, of animal shelters in Houston:

• Man’s Best Friend

10727 Clarborough Place

(713) 932-6709

• Memorial Red Oak Kennels

1214 Sherwood Forest St.

(713) 467-0535

• Meyerland Animal Clinic

4995 W. Bellfort St.

(713) 723-8612

• Pampered Pet Inn

2930 Hillcroft St.

(713) 783-7387

The following is a list of animal shelters outside of the Houston-Galveston area. For information, call the Texas Animal Control Association at (800) 324-8503.

• Nacogdoches County Exposition Center

3805 Stallings in Nacogdoches

(936) 564-0849

• Walker County Fairgrounds

State Highway 30, 4 miles west of Interstate 45

(936) 295-8113

www.walkercountyfair.com/map.htm

I think this is great, as I believe it's true that a lot of people didn't want to leave NO bc of their pets....hurray for Mayor Thomas! :notworthy

:doh:.... how about worrying about things like USSC nominees, or the bloated Highway and Energy bill revisions, or our unfair tax system. Instead... we're taking up legislative time and energy making laws to help pets get evacuated. Just like this bloated govt., can't just throw a pet in the boat when the people are saved..... instead we have to make a law in order for it to happen. :doh:

This country is effed up!!!!

:doh:.... how about worrying about things like USSC nominees, or the bloated Highway and Energy bill revisions, or our unfair tax system. Instead... we're taking up legislative time and energy making laws to help pets get evacuated. Just like this bloated govt., can't just throw a pet in the boat when the people are saved..... instead we have to make a law in order for it to happen. :doh:

This country is effed up!!!!

No, you know what's f'ed up? IS that people were ordered to evacuate NO, and they didn't. They stayed. For whatever reason they stayed. Then they were stranded and MILLIONS of dollars were wasted to get these moronic people to safety.

You can say "they didn't have the means to leave." but that's just crap. They had the means. They just didn't want to leave home.

No, you know what's f'ed up? IS that people were ordered to evacuate NO, and they didn't. They stayed. For whatever reason they stayed. Then they were stranded and MILLIONS of dollars were wasted to get these moronic people to safety.

You can say "they didn't have the means to leave." but that's just crap. They had the means. They just didn't want to leave home.

:applause:

and i love your signature :laugh:

FANTASTIC! I support this law 100%. I seriously do. The government for the people by the people....and at least this voter would really friggin hate it if I was forced to leave my dog behind to die alone. I'm willing to wager there are millions of people that agree with me. Pets are like family to many of us.

Millions of dollars WASTED on americans in need. How dare the government waste money on americans in need. When so many nations foriegn governments need to be given money. Also how are we going to continue to provide the much needed secret service detail to the Saudi Arabian embassy (a treatment no other receives) if we have to spend money on americans? These damn american should know better then to have tax money, much of it their own, go to help them and their situation. Idiots. Hopefully next time we won't have to waste our efforts and money on americans and use it to rightfully aid the rest of the world or large corporations that can no longer compete in the free market and need the government to help them unfairly operate in the red and supress possible competition.

Millions of dollars WASTED on americans in need. How dare the government waste money on americans in need. When so many nations foriegn governments need to be given money. Also how are we going to continue to provide the much needed secret service detail to the Saudi Arabian embassy (a treatment no other receives) if we have to spend money on americans? These damn american should know better then to have tax money, much of it their own, go to help them and their situation. Idiots. Hopefully next time we won't have to waste our efforts and money on americans and use it to rightfully aid the rest of the world or large corporations that can no longer compete in the free market and need the government to help them unfairly operate in the red and supress possible competition.

This has nothing to do with large corporations. This has to do with people refusing to do as they were ORDERED to do by their Government.

Yes, those people who were rescued were in need. Yes, saving them was the right thing to do, I'm not saying any different.

However, if these people followed instructions in the first place, they would have left and their "Need" would never had existed.

FANTASTIC! I support this law 100%. I seriously do. The government for the people by the people....and at least this voter would really friggin hate it if I was forced to leave my dog behind to die alone. I'm willing to wager there are millions of people that agree with me. Pets are like family to many of us.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

What's a shame is that they have to make this a law rather than common sense prevailing. No way I'm leaving my dogs. I know millions of others feel the same way.

Totally disagree with this piece of legislation. If you are in need of EVACUATION (i.e., you have no means of moving yourself out of harms way) and the government has to provide that means -- they shouldn't HAVE to provide the means to evacuate your pets. Whether that be 2 weiner dogs or 30 cats.

Totally disagree with this piece of legislation. If you are in need of EVACUATION (i.e., you have no means of moving yourself out of harms way) and the government has to provide that means -- they shouldn't HAVE to provide the means to evacuate your pets. Whether that be 2 weiner dogs or 30 cats.

If you could hold your pets on your lap, you should be able to take them. "Cody" is 68 lbs, but I'd have no problem holding him.

But I understand your point. I personally wouldn't be relying on the govt to evacuate my family.

How is somebody in a wheelchair able to evacuate, how about the elderly, sick, disabled etc. The mayor sent around buses to gather people and bring them to the Sdome, but many of the people could not leave, and others would not.

You know what, there are people who post here who are staying at their homes for Rita, at least yesterday he was. I can understand the mentality, and personally, I might decide to stay as well. When everything you have ever earned in your life is in your home, I can understand on how and why people stay.

I guess I'd die then, because I would not leave my dogs alone to face the storm, no freakin way. I'd either take them or stay, it is as simple as that.

Guest Gichin13

My wife and I have had a discussion about this very topic. There was a guy on who was with his lab. He said they told him he needed to abandon his dog. His response was no way, he was staying with his dog.

I feel the same way about our dogs. Hard to tell what I would really do in life or death, but our dogs really are part of our family. With our first child on the way, I think ultimately we would choose to take care of Bebo first ... but I certainly understand the sentiment.

And I really do not get it. Most people's pets would fit on their laps and the need for Congress to step in with what should be common sense to me is pretty damn sad.

Why the hell shouldn't I be allowed to carry my dog on my lap?

That is the exact situation that sparked this legislation. People weren't even allowed to carry small pets out. That's crap in my opinion. It doesn't cost anyone anything to let me carry my dog on my lap....but I bet it hurts like hell to leave your pet to die by himself.

Requiring them to evacuate pets would be excessive imo,however they should be able to allow it in some situations.

Having to transport and shelter pets along with evacuees present numerous difficulties in large scale evacuations.

I have pets and that is partly why I have stayed,but mostly just mule headedness and faith in my preparations.

Anyone who would risk their life over a pet is a complete idiot. Pets can be replaced. That is such weak minded thinking that I just can't fathom it. I've shed tears over pets before. They are part of the family. But when push comes to shove, it's me and my family over them every time.

Anyone who would risk their life over a pet is a complete idiot. Pets can be replaced. That is such weak minded thinking that I just can't fathom it. I've shed tears over pets before. They are part of the family. But when push comes to shove, it's me and my family over them every time.

The pets can take care of themselves better than most people.

When it comes to wasting resources needed for people you have to give people priority.

For singles and childless couples --Pets are their children. Some people are not willing to give them up.

The pets can take care of themselves better than most people.

When it comes to wasting resources needed for people you have to give people priority.

AGAIN - the point is not the pets. The point is the people. If there are people who will not leave without their pets, then allowing them to take their pets may save their lives. These people may be irrational in your mind for overvaluing their pets, but does that mean we want them to die in the flood for their stupidity?

Archived