Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Legislation would require pet to be included in evacuations

jpillian

Got Generator?

Seriously, my hurricane experience in inland Florida is that while the TV crews like to show you pictures of collapsed houses, for every one of them there's about 1,000 houses who're gonna be without power for three days.

A Generator, lots of gas cans, and a lot of water can really help.

No generator ,but plenty of food, ice,water and batteries

The ac is what I will miss if the power goes.

Of course catfood would have been nice,but I guess it can eat tuna :laugh:

A Florida Hurricane tip: Fill your bathtub with water.

(A lot of bathtub drains leak. If you want the water to really stick around, take a large sheet of plastic (you do have plastic drop cloths, right), and line the bathtub with it. (Make sure the plastic comes out the top of the tub all the way around.)

Now you can fill the tub completely, and it'll stay there for weeks.

(I've never needed it, but it occurs to me that this method would allow me to keep enough water to flush the pot dozens of times, even if you don't need to drink it.)

Glad you are ok TWA.

I think there needs to be shelters/ evacuation sites that accept pets. Be it on a local level or federal level it is NEEDED!! Sorry but I am an animal rights person so you should have known my thoughts before this was posted.

They should spend this legislative time making higher penalties for animal abuse!

What this means is if you love your family, YOU do what's necessary to protect them. Don't change the law.

If you tried to put your dog on the last seat on that bus as opposed to me or my family member, you and I'd have a serious problem.

Personally, I do what is necessary to care for them. I own a big diesel Suburban (which drives some people on this board nuts) to haul them around and evacuate them if ever necessary. Also, I choose to live in an area that is not prone to hurricanes (we get tornados).

However, if I were to plug myself into the situation of some of those people in New Orleans, sitting on roofs or waiting in attics for someone in a boat to come by, I would consider it highly unreasonable for someone in a boat to say I couldn't bring a pet if there's room on the boat. As it now stands, such a person is forced to abandon his pet -- and then there's a whole 'nother search & rescue a week later for people's abandoned pets. Then there's the hassle and heartache of trying to reunite pets with owners, when the whole mess could have been avoided in the first place.

Unfortunately, when stupid decisions are institutionalized, sometimes it literally does take an act of Congress to change them.

Archived