Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com power poll, Redskins #8

Vman2k6

(Sept. 20, 2005) -- This is how the NFL's 32 teams stack up after Week 2:

IN THE HUNT

(Teams likely to be among 12 playoff qualifiers -- listed with record and previous week's ranking)

1. Pittsburgh (2-0; 3): Two games, two dominant victories, but the toughest test to date comes vs. the Patriots.

NFL Network

NFL Network

Analysis, opinions, features and more!

Field Pass

Listen to LIVE radio broadcasts of EVERY NFL game!

2. Indianapolis (2-0; unchanged): Could it be that the Colts have actually become a defensive-oriented team?

3. Tampa Bay (2-0; 7): The Bucs keep riding in style with their Cadillac and a dominant defense.

4. Kansas City (2-0; 5): Winning in Oakland made a huge statement … and the reward is a Monday night in Denver.

5. Philadelphia (1-1; 10): Donovan McNabb is too busy throwing touchdowns to worry about his sore chest or any sore feelings he might have toward his favorite receiver.

6. Cincinnati (2-0; unranked): You can't help but respect what this team can do on both sides of the ball.

7. N.Y. Giants (2-0; 11): It hasn't been pretty, but the Giants have two wins by convincing margins.

8. Washington (2-0; unranked): Maybe Mark Brunell is the instant spark Joe Gibbs thought he would be.

9. Carolina (1-1; unranked): The Panthers showed plenty by bouncing back from a heart-breaking opener and playing strong defense without Kris Jenkins.

10. New England (1-1; 1): After being manhandled in Carolina, the Pats have the daunting task of trying to rebound in Pittsburgh.

11. Atlanta (1-1; 4): With Michael Vick hurting, the Falcons defense is capable of picking up the slack.

12. Dallas (1-1; 8): The Cowboys are still wondering how they blew that game to Washington.

****ing finally. About time.

6. Cincinnati (2-0; unranked): You can't help but respect what this team can do on both sides of the ball.

7. N.Y. Giants (2-0; 11): It hasn't been pretty, but the Giants have two wins by convincing margins.

8. Washington (2-0; unranked): Maybe Mark Brunell is the instant spark Joe Gibbs thought he would be.

who ever thought those 3 teams would all be undefeated and ranked so high....together in the same year?

Its amazing to look at those rankings and see the entire NFC East represented in the top twelve. These wins against our division rivals are all important.

Exactly. Gibbs always wants to go 4-2 in Division if we can. This is a great start for us.

Having said that, the ranking is way too high. 12-15 sounds more realistic. If our offense can put together a consistent performance, then top 10, here we come!

First ... these power rankings mean NOTHING.

But ...

... they are no harm and lead to conversation. Nothing wrong with a little fun (even if, remember, it means NOTHING.)

That being said, I'm quite impressed with the level of reasoning here. We are obviously not in the top 8 of the league right now and it's good to see that a big, emotional win doesn't blind everyone (anyone?) to that.

I just hope we can use the next two weeks to do something about this offense. Otherwise this team looks an awful lot like last year.

We are the Redskins.... we're going to fall 10 places after the bye week :)

I hate power polls. Useless. And this one proves it.

I'd put the Panthers ahead of us right now. Same with the Patriots. And a few other teams.

I feel the same way... I'd only add an "f 'em"

no love from the mediots for too long. I don't want their love now....

I would say that the skins' are a solid 12-16 ranking. Our defense is still excellent but our offense still needs work. The bye could not have come at a better time for this team. Now everybody can start to heal up from all the minor injuries and the offense can gel together.

Here's a quick, objective way to do a power ranking:

(Offensive Rank (yardage/game) + Defensive Rank)/2

By that formula, the Redskins are currently ranked fourth.

I know it's a simple formula and it's early in the season. However, in 2004, the top 6 teams and 8 of the top 10 teams in the above power ranking made the playoffs.

It's not perfect, but at least it's more objective than the drivel from ESPN and Dr. Z!

Archived