Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: No Offense, but Is Brunell Really an Upgrade? - Kornheiser

spanishomelette

A FEW CHOICE WORDS: TONY KORNHEISER

No Offense, but Is Brunell Really an Upgrade?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/12/AR2005091201635.html

Tuesday, September 13, 2005; Page E02

Wave goodbye to The Patrick Ramsey Era.

Didn't last long, did it?

PH2005091201775.jpg

Patrick Ramsey was cleared to return after suffering a neck strain, but it was Mark Brunell who finished the game. (By Toni L. Sandys -- The Washington Post)

After Ramsey nearly got decapitated in the second quarter Sunday -- nearly found himself starring as Ichabod Crane in "The Headless Quarterback" -- Coach "Joe" sought comfort in Mark Brunell. Or as **** Stockton repeatedly and inexplicably called him, " Scott Brunell."

Though we later learned that Ramsey was medically cleared to play, Gibbs pressed on with Brunell, whose best offensive play was a pass interference call that negated a 55-yard Chicago interception return. Gaining confidence with every pass he threw that wasn't intercepted and run back for a touchdown, Brunell's signature move was to turn and hand off to whoever was behind him. It could have been Tom Hanks; it wouldn't have mattered to Brunell.

The result was three field goals and an insurmountable 9-7 lead over the worst offensive team in the league. The Bears treat offense as if it's bubonic plague. I had to laugh when Moose Johnston waxed on about "Ron Turner's offensive philosophy" as if it were borrowed from Albert Einstein. Where exactly did Turner glean this dynamic offensive philosophy -- from the back of a ketchup bottle?

So now there is no need to start anyone but Brunell. He got the 'W,' didn't he? How can you argue with that? Okay, maybe he couldn't get the ball into the end zone -- but at least his spinal cord is intact. So what if the Redskins just lost all their scoring because John Hall re-injured his quad? (What's the deal with this guy? How did he become so fragile that he needs to be stored in a Tiffany box?) So what if Jon "Fast Eddie Felson" Jansen has no workable thumbs? No thumbs! I mean, come on, how is the guy supposed to get down into a three-point stance? For all intents and purposes, Jansen is now a penguin!

Don't worry. Mark Brunell threw for 70 yards.

That's right, 70 yards. Sound familiar?

Welcome to last year.

I mean after one week we are ranked 16 in offense and second in defense. We just have to get in the endzone. Ramsey had a 49 quarterback rating. And, almost half of his yards came on the Moss catch and run.

Neither quarterback set the world on fire. Mark didn't make any mistakes. Gibbs knows what he's doing.

I mean after one week we are ranked 16 in offense and second in defense. We just have to get in the endzone. Ramsey had a 49 quarterback rating. And, almost half of his yards came on the Moss catch and run.

Neither quarterback set the world on fire. Mark didn't make any mistakes. Gibbs knows what he's doing.

Let's hope so. :fingersx:

I am not sure what everyone is so worried about. It is just a game. The Skins will be fine. There is obviously something that Gibbs knows and has seen, that the fans and media are not aware off. Based on his training he has choosen to start MB at QB. I think the Skins would be better with PR starting, but then what do I know, I am just an arm chair QB. We will see what happens. I still think the cowgirls will underestimate the Skins and loose the game.

Kornheiser is never wrong. I mean, he KNEW how good Spurrier would be.

Look, the fact is, even Ramsey fans admit Brunell looks better than last year. Why don't we see if he can add some big plays to his mistake-free football. It was a combo that Ramsey couldn't master over the entire off-season and preseason...now it's Brunell's turn to try within the new offense and being healthy.

Archived