Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN calling out Joe Theisman

budski

I pick the 'Skinz in the big dance until Gibbs reitres (again). I've done some extensive schematic modeling (i.e., Madden 06 Franchise Mode - All Madden Level) & I'm set to meet the Colts in the Super Bowl. I've always won with the 'Skinz, though, so nevermind.

I agree with Theismann on his assessment of this year's team. I feel it in my gut. This team has serious depth to the point where injuries won't derail them. Every other team in the NFC East DECLINED in talent during the off-season. I see the playoffs as more feasible & the Super Bowl as hopeful. Ahh... I'm just a big 'Skinz homer, I can't help myself.

Joey T. has never been one to temper his opinion, either. Keep in mind that he's been VERY critical of the Skins, for the most part, since Snyder took over the franchise. In fact, I recall some people on this very board criticizing Theismann for his "anti-Skins" slant.

I, too, like this karma.

Here's the one problem with all these other "experts" who scoff at Joey T's prediction. They seem to assume he's making this prediction based solely on the fact he's a former Redskin QB and played under Joe Gibbs.

They fail to acknowledge that Joe has spent alot of time out at Redskin Park. He's talked to the players, he's talked to the coaches. What if Joe Gibbs...a man he respects (who doesn't.....oh wait Steve Czaban) has told Joey T that this team is going to be really really good? What if the other coaches have also confided in Joey T that they agree?

Not saying this is the case, just saying that Theismann has been out there and knows the inner workings of this team.

This of course is in stark contrast to John Riggins, who folks in the media seem to call upon to talk about the Redskins and yet he's never stepped foot inside Redskin Park. So Riggins trashes the Redskins and he's "objective" and Joey T is being a "homer"?

To quote Cyndi Lauper....."The mind boggles sometimes".

I listen to czaban every morning, and i fully believe he knows he fudged up by burning that redskins bridge. he hasnt come out and say it, but i havent heard a peep about gibbs since he got cut off.

sucks b/c i like czaban's show. its the only sports talk show on my way to work

Look at last years games and scores.... and to think we were so close in so many games when our offense was HORRENDOUS... it was hard to find an offense more inept than ours.....

If we just have an AVERAGE offense this year (not very far fetched at all) We will be in the playoffs... its that simple.

Both Dallas and NY have questions on both sides of the ball... people are 'assuming' that they may be able to pull it together..

Our D is set to be top 10 again. If our offense can just score a bit more than last year, we will be gold.

I'd say that Joey T's Redskin prediction isn't any worse than Jaws calling Brady the most mobile QB in the NFL. Just happened on NFL Match-up, Hodge almost fell out of his seat before calling out McNabb's and Vick's names. Jaws then played the Lombardi trophy card to defend his claim.

Regardless, preseason NFL predictions hold even less water that the preseason AP poll does. It's a shot in the dark and Joey T went against the grain. The Skins have a great RB, a great Defense, a very good o-line and burners at WR. "IF" they error free play from the QB all the other ingredients are in place. That is a monumental "IF" though.

I don't put that much weight on Joey T's pick, because he always has a tendency to pick the skins when no one else will. It is very much a homer pick (Just like it was last year.)

Jason

wrong, at times Joe is the Skins harshest critic, he just doesn't get nasty like Lenny, and Peter Queen

I think Joe made a seriously huge homer pick.

However, it's not like he picks the Redskins to do this well every year. And he must know he's taking a BIG risk with his credibility, being a former Skin, to go out on a limb like that. So there must be some reason beyond the fact that he used to be a Redskin. He knows Gibbs better than most, and maybe he's seen something in this team that looks ... familiar. I don't know.

But it sure does look like a huge homer pick.

I'd agree if he always did it, but as you pointed out, he doesn't.

The only thing I'd say contrary is that while he does see inside redskin park and all, he doesn't see inside the other teams as much if any, so while this Redskin team may be better than last years, he may not have a fair comparison based on the competition.

And yes, he does have a lot to risk by making the pick.

Hopefully he's right... :point2sky

My biggest beef with the ESPN crew bashing theisman is that Michael Irvin has been doing the same thing this preseason. Irvin sounds like a total idiot and he is all over Parcells and the Cowboys jock strap. Granted a lot of people are picking the cowboys to go to the playoffs, but Irvin is annoying about it.

When is the Dan Patrick show on and where did you all see D Green talk about the skins making the playoffs?

Fans of losing teams always talk about how many close games their team lost the previous year...

bottom line is the NFL today is a league of parity with few exceptions. A slight improvement can have potentially large consequences in the W-L column. I'm not saying we're definitely playoff bound, but I am saying we're no less playoff bound than teams like the cowboys.

God forbid we have a top 15 offense... then we'd challenge the Eagles, but I think thats definitely wishful thinking right now until i see otherwise on the field

My biggest beef with the ESPN crew bashing theisman is that Michael Irvin has been doing the same thing this preseason. Irvin sounds like a total idiot and he is all over Parcells and the Cowboys jock strap. Granted a lot of people are picking the cowboys to go to the playoffs, but Irvin is annoying about it.

When is the Dan Patrick show on and where did you all see D Green talk about the skins making the playoffs?

Right. Which tells me it's about the coaches. Irvin is excited about Parcells having the QB/RB to make something happen. Theisman is feeling the bliss of FULL access to the Redskins' world with his old coach presiding, not to mention that Gibbs ALSO has the QB/RB that could get it done. I'm speaking more for Brunell than Ramsey though. I know Patrick can improve greatly this year, but I think only Brunell's experience would get us deep into the playoffs.

Anyway, back to JoeyT. I think both he and Micheal Irvin are drinking SPIKED Kool-Aid. I just jope Theisman can hold his liquor. :)

didn't Irvin predict the Skins would be 10-6 last year and make the postseason? :)

what I think Irvin goes by is the caliber of the coaching staff and his belief in their ability to get the best out of their players. I really don't have a problem with him.

he is picking Parcells this year because he realizes that Jerry Jones finally loosened the reigns and let Parcells pick the veteran free agents and have a role in the draft choices.

we will see if it pays off or not.

Latley Ive been thinking about how fast our offense. One thing Gibbs said early in his return to the skins was how fast defenses are now, with all the blitzing they do and whatnot.

Our Offense has one of the fastest running backs, Cooley is fast for a TE, most of our line is fast for linemen and very good at pulling, and our WRs are the fastest in the league. I think a lot of defenses will have a tough time just keeping up with long shots down field and a sweeping darting running game. Our offense could be very effective this year

I thought Joey T. actually picked Atlanta to beat the Skins in the NFC championship game. I could be wrong. I was watching the interview, and could've swore that's what he said.

You are right!! He picked the Skins to get to the Championship Game and lose to Atlanta. Sean Salisbury then laughed and said he would walk from Bristol to DC (for Charity), if the Skins made the SB.

Archived