Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sooooo No Barbara Bush Post today????

diego1115

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2005/...-of_n_6895.html

Katrina victims were "underprivileged anyway" and life in the Astrodome isn't so bad -Barbara Bush

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Hurricane Katrina victims in Houston, Texas were "underprivileged anyway" and life in the Astrodome sports arena is "working very well for them," former first lady Barbara Bush said.

The comments by the mother of President George W. Bush have fueled the ire of some Americans, who see the Bush family as out-of-touch patricians.

"Almost everyone I've talked to says 'we're going to move to Houston,'" Bush said in a radio interview after visiting evacuees at the Astrodome with her husband, former president George Bush.

"What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality," she said.

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this -- this is working very well for them."

Her comments aired late Monday on Marketplace, an American Public Radio show broadcast nationwide. ADVERTISEMENT

They triggered a flood of negative messages on the Huffington Post, a popular left-leaning blog.

"Cold hearted witch," read one of the more polite comments, signed by one IowaDem. "No wonder her son remained on vacation, playing guitar and eating cake instead of seeing that aid and rescue operations were well-managed."

Another writer found the comments hard to believe. "Did she really say that?" wrote 'Stephen.' "My God! What or who have we become?

Obviously a stupid thing to say. I hope (and am confident that it WAS) it was a mis-speak.

Anyone want to bet on how many posts it takes before a Liberal quote is displayed to even the field?

i say 20 minutes if that LOL

last time i posted on this forum i posted from emotion and i shouldnt when it is a serious matter

my LAST take on this is......why are certain individuals given the benefit of the doubt and dont most people learn their basic beliefs from their parents??? just a little food for thought :dallasuck

Guest sith lord
I heard that too......

I bet she miss-spoke. She doesn't seem like the type to make remarks like that on purpose. It does sound harsh though.

:logo:

She knew what she was saying.

Sweet Monkey Brains.... thats not from the Onion?????

That's the first thing I thought. I kept looking for the punch line.

Even though I'm not a Bush family fan, she had to have forgotten to take her meds or something... wow. I can't imagine that she meant to say that.

Guest sith lord
Ah yes, Sith flying in...not a suprise. ;)

Don't bite your tongue, say what you really want to say. It does seem like we're in the same threads all the time.

;)

I hope she was trying to express a legitimate concern that Texas could see an influx of tens of thousands of people, many of whom may remain indefinately. As we've all seen, a great number are impoverished. If they chose to stay, and don't find a way to provide for themselves above what the government will do, then they will add to the tax burden without adding to the coffers. This is just one more reality to this disaster.

Now, her statement is off the wall the way it was made. No one is better off in a dome. But there may be many who end up better off long term. They may enter a more economic viable area that has better job opportunity. In any tragedy, there is bound to be some positive if your glass is 1/2 full.

My aunt has this theory about peoples filters. Once people get older, their filter starts to deteriorate and things they'd normally refrain from saying just come flying out their mouth. Probably whats happening here. Old people just can't contain themselves.

Not that I'm trying to defend her, what she said was way wrong.

I think this isn't getting much publicity because she's not that relevant anymore. If this were 1990 this story would be really big. I haven't heard anything else about these comments other than here.

Yes she's old and irrelevant. Except that she IS the President's mother. It's not unusual that the older white generation typically has more racial bias than their children. I don't believe that georgie shares the racial bias of his mother's generation. But is he biased in favor of the folks with money, power and connections? I suspect so. Does that also fit her picture of the right order of things? Probably.

I once saw a collection of quotes that have come from politicians at disaster sites.

Things like someone touring an earthquake site and saying that he was "deeply moved".

Or, I think, Al Gore, after a hurricane, saying he was "totally blown away" by the destruction.

But this one does seem to stand out some more than those do.

Her comments were dumb, but skipping past them and then reading back to see what she said, I was surprised to find that they were no where near as bad as I had expected.

All she said was that the people were poor anyway and didn't have that much to lose and in some cases may be getting shelter that they never even had before. Its probably almost entirely untrue of course, but I'm not surprised to find someone of her age and condition, saying something ridiculous like that. I've heard plenty of worse things from my own relatives in public. Not that I agree with them of coruse, but it was probably not a good idea for her to be near a reporter in the ifrst place. It isn't like she went out and said that they got what they deserved and she was glad that so many of them died or anything horrible like that.

She shows a lack of understanding and conciousness of reality that is entirely understandable considering the way she has look recently in public. Actually I am surprised that she was as aware of the situation as she was, despite her dumb comments.

Archived