Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI: Skins to finish 4-12

Posse81

Sorry if this was posted, couldn't find it.

From the SI NFL preview:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/preview/2005/scout.report/

NFC East Projected

1 Eagles 10-6

2 Cowboys* 10-6

3 Giants 5-11

4 Redskins 4-12

NFC North

1 Vikings 9-7

2 Packers 8-8

3 Lions 8-8

4 Bears 3-13

NFC South

1 Panthers 12-4

2 Falcons* 10-6

3 Saints 8-8

4 Bucs 7-9

NFC West

1 Rams 9-7

2 Seahawks 9-7

3 Cardinals 7-9

4 49ers 3-13

AFC East Projected

1 Patriots 11-5

2 Jets* 10-6

3 Bills 8-8

4 Dolphins 5-11

AFC North

1 Ravens 11-5

2 Steelers* 11-5

3 Bengals 7-9

4 Browns 5-11

AFC South

1 Colts 13-3

2 Jaguars 9-7

3 Texans 8-8

4 Titans 4-12

AFC West

1 Chiefs 9-7

2 Chargers 9-7

3 Broncos 7-9

4 Raiders 7-9

*Wild-card team Power rankings based on regular season

Wild-Card Playoffs

N

F

C Cowboys over Vikings A

F

C Ravens over Jets

Falcons over Rams Steeler over Chiefs

Divisional Playoffs

N

F

C Panthers over Cowboys A

F

C Colts over Steelers

Eagles over Falcons Patriots over Ravens

Championship Games

NFC: Panthers over Eagles AFC: Colts over Patriots

Super Bowl XXXIX

Panthers 31, Colts 27

How Dr. Z Ranks 'em

1 Indianapolis Colts 17 Detroit Lions

2 Carolina Panthers 18 Denver Broncos

3 New England Patriots 19 Buffalo Bills

4 Pittsburgh Steelers 20 Cincinnati Bengals

5 Philadelphia Eagles 21 New Orleans Saints

6 Atlanta Falcons 22 Arizona Cardinals

7 Baltimore Ravens 23 Houston Texans

8 New York Jets 24 Tampa Bay Bucs

9 Dallas Cowboys 25 Oakland Raiders

10 Kansas City Chiefs 26 Miami Dolphins

11 Jacksonville Jaguars 27 New York Giants

12 San Diego Chargers 28 Cleveland Browns

13 Minnesota Vikings 29 Washington Redskins

14 St. Louis Rams 30 Tennessee Titans

15 Seattle Seahawks 31 San Francisco 49ers

16 Green Bay Packers 32 Chicago Bears

Here is our team preview:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/preview/2005/scout.report/redskins.html

The ball is still in Patrick Ramsey's hands, but there are two other options at quarterback if the offense sputters as it did a year ago

Did Joe Gibbs really come back for this? Did the Hall of Famer and three-time Super Bowl winner return to pro football last year to go 6-10, his worst record in 13 seasons as an NFL coach? Did the offensive guru end his retirement to watch his team score 15 points a game, the second-fewest in the league? "People always ask me, 'Did you have fun?'" says Gibbs, 64. "I say, 'I did six times. Ten times I didn't.' But I think for me, this is where I'm supposed to be."

Whether Gibbs has more fun this year depends in large part on the ability of Patrick Ramsey, a quarterback on a short leash, to hook up with a height-challenged receiving corps. At one wideout the Redskins will start 5'10" Santana Moss, acquired from the Jets in a trade for Laveranues Coles. On the other side they have 5'10" David Patten, lured from the Patriots with a five-year, $13 million free-agent deal. By going small at wide receiver Washington is bucking the trend toward the Terrell Owens prototype (the physical aspects, anyway) but also harking back to the days of their own Smurfs -- the quick, diminutive wideouts who helped the Gibbs-led Skins to victory in Super Bowl XVII. Patten adds that anyone who doesn't believe a team can win with smaller receivers hasn't been watching the Patriots win three of the last four NFL titles. "Look at their roster the past four years," he says. "You might prefer a big receiver and think he's going to give you an advantage, but you look at [the Pats'] corps, our tallest starting receiver [David Givens] was 6 feet. And Deion Branch, last year's Super Bowl MVP, is 5'9"."

At least Ramsey is 6'2" and able to spot his receivers squirting through the secondary, though at the same time he'll be watching over his shoulder for veteran passer Mark Brunell and rookie first-round pick Jason Campbell. Ramsey won back the starting job from Brunell at midseason last year, but he threw only 10 touchdown passes against 11 interceptions, and Brunell, who turns 35 on Sept. 17, has looked better in camp than he did in 2004 (his first season with Washington). In reaffirming Ramsey as his starter going into the season, Gibbs says selecting Campbell out of Auburn with the 25th pick follows his pattern of always drafting good quarterbacks when they are available, as he did with Jay Schroeder in the third round of the 1984 draft, when he had Joe Theismann. The Redskins, however, paid a high price for the 6'5" Campbell, sending the Broncos their third-round choice in 2005 and first- and fourth-round selections in '06 so they could move up to take him.

Ramsey, the last choice of the first round of the 2002 draft, admits that he felt slighted when the Redskins selected a quarterback so high but says what matters most is that the ball is in his hands. "What it comes down to is, I need to play well this year," Ramsey says, "and we'll take it from there." He will at least be working behind an improved line. The team signed free-agent center Casey Rabach (six years, $18.5 million), late of the Ravens, and right tackle Jon Jansen returns after missing all of 2004 with a ruptured left Achilles tendon. Those two will also be counted on to open more and bigger holes for Clinton Portis, who in his first season in Washington rushed for 1,315 yards but was held to 70 yards or less in seven games.

Jansen says the offense should be better in 2005 simply because players didn't have to learn another new system, a rarity for them in recent years; the seven-year veteran says this off-season was the quietest he has seen in Washington. True, free safety Sean Taylor faces a felony aggravated-assault charge stemming from a June incident in which his two all-terrain vehicles were allegedly stolen (his scheduled Sept. 12 trial date could be postponed until after the season), but there were no major coaching moves for a change and relatively little player turnover as owner Daniel Snyder has stuck to his word and let Gibbs run the team. "Every year leading up to this one we've had a lot of hoopla and a lot of circus activity," Jansen says. "This year we've stayed pretty low-key and we've kept a lot of guys, as many as we could. I think there are going to be a lot of [opponents] who aren't ready for us."

If part of the Gibbs plan was to sneak up on opponents in Year 2, last season will have been the perfect setup.

-- Bill Syken

Issue date: September 5, 2005

Whether Gibbs has more fun this year depends in large part on the ability of Patrick Ramsey, a quarterback on a short leash, to hook up with a height-challenged receiving corps. At one wideout the Redskins will start 5'10" Santana Moss, acquired from the Jets in a trade for Laveranues Coles. On the other side they have 5'10" David Patten, lured from the Patriots with a five-year, $13 million free-agent deal. By going small at wide receiver Washington is bucking the trend toward the Terrell Owens prototype (the physical aspects, anyway)

yet he loves the Ravens WR's who are how tall? both 5'11"

I think that's hilarious.

So not only won't some continuity and offensive upgrades not help us, but we'll digress. We'll go from winning 6 games and playing competitively in all but one or two games to being the second-worst team in the NFC...only a game better than the 49ers.

I think this ranking is laughable. I almost feel better about our odds right now...

I can see their stories in December.

What a shock?? Who would have thought the Redskins of all teams would be a playoff team?? Who could have thought that a team with two viable options at QB, a dominant offensive line, speedy and tough WRs, an All-Pro caliber RB, a top-10 defense, and solid special teams could win 10 games in the NFC?????

Idiots.

Archived