Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ramsey Haters Part 2

PREDICTOR

Gibbs loading up on Qb's could have just as much to do with his overall views of building a franchise as it does with any doubts he may have in Ramsey. I believe that Gibbs's learned a valuable lesson when we lost Joey T. It took us 2 full seasons to recover from that. If you evaluate the Qb's on our roster the last 5 seasons of Gibbs's first tenure with the team it becomes self evident. Gibbs's never wants to suffer thru a post Joey T. period ever again. One could also argue that at this stage of his career he can't afford to waste any time in building his team.

We have a backup in Brunnel who could come in if needed and guide us thru a season. Not many teams can say they have a backup Qb on par with or superior to Brunnel. Gibbs's having a backup plan if something goes wrong should be hailed by us fans as a solid insurance policy.

Drafting Campbell also tells us that Gibbs's is also thinking long term and has Brunnel's replacement in mind so we always have 2 solid Qb's on the roster. :applause: :applause: :applause: :2cents:

Amen brotha! I have been thinkning along these exact lines. Whats wrong with depth and competition at QB anyway? I love the Campell pick, and think all the doubters (mostly the media) will feel stupid come a couple years from now.

So you all would take Ramsey over Carr if you could swap them straight up right now?

No, I would have taken Carr. Ramsey wouldn't even have been drafted in the 1st round of 02 if we didn't take him with the last pick in the round. Carr does what Ramsey can't do. He protects the football, he'll take a sack (76 in rookie year) before he'll force a pass and get picked off. I want Ramsey to do great this year don't get me wrong (So we can get some compensation for him). But he is not nearly as great as any of you think.

Carr is similar to what Ramsey has been doing by having a great game every 2 or 3 weeks followed by bad or very bad games. At least Ramseys worst games are still pretty decent though.

And the fact that Carr has started every game and still hasn't outperformed Ramsey also. One thing Carr doesn't have is Portis and a great defense though. Ramsey doesn't have to throw 30 passes a game to win like Carr does. Ramsey should do well enough for us this year but I'd hope he gets a chance to have a great season for us in 2006. QB's do take more than parts of 3 different seasons under different coaches and with major player and scheme changes to get it going in the NFL.

Dominick Davis is a pretty solid running back. Carr also has talented first round picks as recievers, he has no excuses in this regard.

No, I would have taken Carr. Ramsey wouldn't even have been drafted in the 1st round of 02 if we didn't take him with the last pick in the round. Carr does what Ramsey can't do. He protects the football, he'll take a sack (76 in rookie year) before he'll force a pass and get picked off. I want Ramsey to do great this year don't get me wrong (So we can get some compensation for him). But he is not nearly as great as any of you think.

I had no idea, until now, that Mark Brunell himself posts here on Extremeskins.

blah blah blah......you don't get it: what the others do is irrelevant. it's what Ramsey does with the tools he has at hand. for the most part, the converstaion has all been about potential...at the end of the day....either PR learns how to make good decisions under pressure or he doesn't. he either leads the team to victory and the playoffs or he doesn't. if he does well he will be a hero at the end of the season and respected...if he doesn't...the Skins will move on....

btw...I hope you two raise a wonderful family!!!!!!

Guest sith lord
You Ramsey Haters think WE have it bad. The Houston Texans have David Carr....who by the way the experts NEVER bad mouth. Here's a guy who has twice as many starts as Patrick and has been in the same system for 3 staright years...and last night he went 7-19 for 52 yards and TWO ints. And yet everybody out there says that PAtrick is the one under the microscope. Why is that?

I mean Patrick came into the league at the exact same time as Carr and Harrington...and Patrick has had better numbers than either of them. Yet everybody always focuses on Patrick as the guy who is failing. Maybe thats because his coaches are always trying to replace him while Carr and Harrington have been given the job from day 1 and nobody ever questioned them.

At the end of this year PAtrick will catch up to Carr and Harrington in number of starts and before the year is out, Patrick will be the guy that Detroit and Houston WISHED they had drafted....and after the opening game...Chicago will be wishing they had made that trade during Spurriers first year....you know..the one where the Redskins offered him to Chicago but they only wanted to give up a 2nd round pick. A 2nd round pick...remember that Pat.

Because the Skins are a higher profile team, than the Texans and Lions.

I think people stating Ramsey has played better than Carr to this point in his career have simply chosen to enter an alternate reality where everything false is true. Carr had an 83 or so QB rating. He was efficient and able to compile 3,500 yards a year ago. You WIN with that if you have other things around it.

If Ramsey simply matches Carr's performance of a year ago, with our defense and running game, we'll be a 10-to 12-win team. Ramsey has not demonstrated he can put together a season as good as Carr already has.

I think people stating Ramsey has played better than Carr to this point in his career have simply chosen to enter an alternate reality where everything false is true. Carr had an 83 or so QB rating. He was efficient and able to compile 3,500 yards a year ago. You WIN with that if you have other things around it.

If Ramsey simply matches Carr's performance of a year ago, with our defense and running game, we'll be a 10-to 12-win team. Ramsey has not demonstrated he can put together a season as good as Carr already has.

But Carr had much better circumstances surrounding him than Ramsey did, Art. Last year was not only Ramsey's first year in a pro system, it was a rinky dink pro system that Carr never was burdened with. Ramsey also registered an 86.1 rating as a starter against nine win competition. If Carr had played in last year's offense, no way does he pick up the rating. No way.

concur with Art....most importantly: you can feel it in your gut - the tools are in place on offense for PR to succeed. for the first time in years we have a quality offensive line that seems to be playing up to its potential. it's now on PR's shoulders to make the most of his opportunity.....there is opporunity to succeed but a rather small margin for mistakes...that's the kind of offense I see us having this year.

concur with Art....most importantly: you can feel it in your gut - the tools are in place on offense for PR to succeed. for the first time in years we have a quality offensive line that seems to be playing up to its potential. it's now on PR's shoulders to make the most of his opportunity.....there is opporunity to succeed but a rather small margin for mistakes...that's the kind of offense I see us having this year.

:cheers:

I think that's the feeling a lot of people see, but some just either don't understand or can't empathize. There's a gut feeling among some people that Patrick ultimately isn't the man here. Some people view him as a stopgap between now and Campbell. The leash will be relatively tight on him to minimalize his weaknesses until Campbell is ready.

I'd love to see Patrick succeed here, considering what he has had to deal with, but my gut feeling when I watch him perform is that he won't.

You can't compare a full season vs. a half season. You can't compare equally a QB beginning his 3rd year in a system with the same coach to a QB who is beginning his first year in a system with a new coach. Thats what went on last year Art.

I will take Ramsey over Carr because Carr hasn't demonstrated the ability ti win yet. You have to make that key lay and elevate your team. Has Patrick done this yet. Well...no, but then again he has not been starting regularly until now. So we will meet back in 10 weeks and then compare.

But Carr had much better circumstances surrounding him than Ramsey did, Art. Last year was not only Ramsey's first year in a pro system, it was a rinky dink pro system that Carr never was burdened with. Ramsey also registered an 86.1 rating as a starter against nine win competition. If Carr had played in last year's offense, no way does he pick up the rating. No way.

So Andre Johnson=9 toe Coles? An offense that attempts to challenge downfield=one that doesn't.

Carr's 2 previous years(entering last year) in the system=Ramsey's just starting in GIbbs system.

Ok....

And Art, as for saying that Ramsey hasn't shown he can put up those numbers--before he and Lav both hurt their feet, it appeared he would surpass that in 2003.

People are so fond of using the injuries to excuse Brunell, but don't remember Patrick played on a broken foot for several games before he had to be taken out and that led directly to less movement in the pocket, less accuracy on passes and massive amounts of hits as he continued to try to look downfield.

This thread is pretty ridiculous. Ramsey has yet to prove anything, that's why everyone keeps harping, "just give him more time"; "it's only preseason"; "he is improving"; "just look at his stats".

You know what you have in Carr - regardless of how you feel about his play to date. At this point you can't really compare the two (Carr & Ramsey).

You hit on a point when you said that "for the first time in years we have a quality offensive line that seems to be playing up to its potential." You can add to that "offense" in general. That's my point on Ramsey. This is the first real year he's been given a chance.

This thread is pretty ridiculous. Ramsey has yet to prove anything, that's why everyone keeps harping, "just give him more time"; "it's only preseason"; "he is improving"; "just look at his stats".

You know what you have in Carr - regardless of how you feel about his play to date. At this point you can't really compare the two (Carr & Ramsey).

Carr, in relative terms, is clearly not on par with Ramsey. He, however, has done better than Harrington.

So you all would take Ramsey over Carr if you could swap them straight up right now?

I'd take Carr. Theres a reason he went #1. And please, PLEASE no one respond with some predictable post about how Brady was a 6th round pick, or how Tim Couch was taken before McNabb or Culpepper.

Or how Harrington was taken 3rd? :laugh:

:laugh: Yeah, we'd take a guy who's been given four years in a pro-system, some legit weapons to work with, and an annual vote of confidence from his front office who registered a lower rating as a starter last year than Ramsey.

:laugh:

Archived