Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ExtremeSkins recap: Redskins vs. Steelers (PHOTO'S & AUDIO ADDED)

themurf

Extremeskins Recap: Behind the scenes at Skins vs Steelers
photos and audio courtesy of Brian Murphy ('themurf')

Skins359.JPG

I have a confession to make - I am the luckiest man alive. For two weeks in a row, it has been my “job” to stand on the sidelines during a Redskins preseason game with my camera and take photos. That’s it. Sure, there’s the occasional bumping into a cheerleader or moving because David Patten is about to run you over, but there’s not a better job out there.

When I knew I would be doing this week’s game solo, meaning that I’d have to do a write-up as well as take photos, I thought how much had changed in the last three years. That’s when I got out of the Army. Turns out it was a good decision (seeing as we pretty much went to war right as I was getting out). Then two years ago I got my season tickets. I was just happy to sit in section 449, row 18 each week. And then one year ago I still had my season tickets, but here’s the funny twist - every week I applied for the Washington Post’s Dream Job in hopes of being selected to be a sideline photographer. And now, here I am, actually doing it!

So I arrived at the stadium at 6 p.m. (two hours before kick-off). I got my press credentials and headed up to the press box. I didn’t stay up there last week, and I wasn’t going to be up there this week. I just like to raid whatever info sheets they have handy. So they had a seat reserved with my name on it and a little packet including press sheets, an updated roster and a game program. I said a quick hello to a few media types and headed down to the field.

This week I had a total of three press credentials - one for the press box, one for the Redskins sideline and one for the Steelers sideline. So I pretty much could go wherever I wanted. So for starters, I went over to the Steelers sideline long enough to take some shots of a certain former Hog by the name of Russ Grimm. Seeing him brought back that nostalgic feel of the glory days. I remembered Joe Gibbs wanted to try and bring him here when he came back, and that the Steelers made Grimm their offensive coordinator in order to keep him. I think he’ll be a head coach one day, and that he’ll be a good one. Just my two cents.

Then I headed back to the Redskins sideline. That’s when the fun started. As I walk over to the sideline, Santana Moss is playing catch with Antonio Brown. Well Brown throws him a pass and Moss has a little fun with it, and catches it under his leg one handed. I say to him “Oh sure - you do it when no one has a camera around” and we both laughed. He promptly did it again for me and made sure I got a shot of it. Then, just to prove he’s good, he made a silly one-handed catch while keeping his body in bounds. This guy is stupid talented.

Then, as I was walking down the Redskins sideline, I saw Ryan Clark sitting on the player’s bench. I asked him if he’d be up for a few questions, and he happily invited me over. The highlight of the interview was when I used a question that TheDane submitted and asked him to tell me what went through his mind when the Washington Post erroneously reported that he had been cut. Make sure you check that out once the audio files get uploaded.

Then during the game, I had a chance to talk with FOX sideline reporter Pam Oliver. Moments after Santana Moss made the spinning 40-yard play, I leaned over to her and said “You’re allowed to cheer for them - it’s okay with us” and got a good laugh out of her. I then asked if she had a favorite team, to which she replied she didn’t. She said she grew up in Texas and liked to “old school Cowboys,” but that was back in the day. I told her it was probably better that she not tell anyone else that little bit of information. She was very friendly though and is the best person in the NFL at what she does. Plus, she’s easy on the eyes - if you know what I mean.

The one thing that stood out early in the game was the number of Steelers fan (with their dumb towels). When Patrick threw the interception that they returned for the touchdown, I was embarrassed at the number of their fans in our house. Fortunately, Big Ben produced another dud, and we didn’t have to hear much from their fans the rest of the night.

One sidenote about the interception - I don’t know if you could see it on TV, but after the play was over, Ramsey hustled over to the receiver (I think it was James Thrash, but I’m not sure) and patted him on the back and tried to cheer him up. Patrick knew he made a mistake, but he didn’t dwell on it, and he didn’t want anyone else to either. Just another reason I think Ramsey is going to eventually be the guy running the show when the offense gets it all together.

Oh, and before I forget - I almost got run over again. Last week it almost happened when Ramsey overthrew David Patten on the sideline. I moved, and he knocked over my camera bag (where I had just been standing). This week, it almost happened when Matt Bowen came flying in to take down Jerome Bettis on the sidelines. They both landed at my feet. The one thing that stands out being that close to the action is how hard the hits actually sound. There was definitely a loud thud when Bowen slammed into Bettis and then again when they hit the ground. Unfortunately, Bowen hurt himself on the play and didn’t return to the game. He and Ladell Betts (who got horse-collared) were the only two Redskins I saw get hurt. Bowen’s was easily the more serious of the two.

Let’s fast forward to the end of the game. The players were obviously happy with the victory - as many of them threw their gloves, wristbands or whatever to fans as souvenirs. Several others signed autographs on their way to the locker room. This team is just a happier bunch than the last couple years. Even last week when they lost to Cincinnati, I noticed how many of the players were still goofing with each other and having fun out there before, during and after the game. These guys like each other and they like playing football - there’s no malcontents (see: Coles, Laveranues).

Time for the Joe Gibbs post-game press conference. Now, I had talked to Tarhog and we had two specific questions we wanted to ask:

1. What exactly happened on the interception?

2. How will having free agent Casey Rabach and a healthy Jon Jansen help Clint Portis and the running game this year?

So naturally those were two areas that were brought up before I had a chance to jump in there. So I had to improvise. I ended up throwing Gibbs a softball question and asked him simply “Who stood out tonight?” If you heard the press conference live, I got my question in right around three minutes into it. He specifically mentioned Santana Moss and Shawn Springs, but also said he was pleased in general with the offense and defense.

Finally, I headed into the locker room. Last week, Tarhog and I took too long to get in there and we ended up missing most of the players. But not this week. I ended up talking to Joe Salave’a, Chris Cooley, Jason Campbell and Marcus Washington. For those who voted, I tried to find Sean Taylor, David Patten and Nehemiah Broughton, but no luck this week. That gives us more people to aim for down the road. Salave’a was a very nice guy and was someone I’d definitely want to learn more about. Cooley was nice, but he didn’t really go into any detailed answers – although the highlight of the interview was easily when I asked him about his mullet. He cracked up about that. (Sorry fellas, no cheerleader references from me - I’d like to come back in the future).

Jason Campbell was the most soft-spoken man I’ve ever interviewed. I swear I didn’t think the recorder would even pick his comments up. It was hard to hear his answers to try and come up with follow-up quotes. He seems like he has a good head on his shoulders though. And finally, Marcus Washington. I have to tell you - even in the locker room an hour and a half after the game he still had more energy than everyone else did. He was a joy to talk to and he was surprisingly funny too. I’ll let you all listen to the audio, rather than me tell you everything he said. I’ll leave you with this though - as Marcus was finishing getting dressed before the interview started, he began singing a song. I looked over at him and said, “Is that the new Kanye West song?” He stopped, looked up and said “yeah” with a look on his face like this tall, goofy white guy standing in front of him wasn’t supposed to know about Kanye. I couldn’t help but think of the scene in “White Men Can’t Jump” where they tell Woody’s character that he can’t hear Jimmy Hendricks. And that made me happy - almost as happy as the guys were after beating the Steelers.

:helmet:
Extremeskins Exclusive Player Interviews

Chris Cooley Post-Game Comments (FAN REQUEST)

Jason Campbell Post-Game Comments

Joe Salavea Post-Game Comments

Marcus Washington Post-Game Comments (FAN REQUEST)

Ryan Clark Pre-Game Comments

:helmet:

Skins001.JPG

on.gif

Skins003.JPG

on.gif

Skins004.JPG

on.gif

Skins008.JPG

on.gif

Skins010.JPG

on.gif

Skins011.JPG

on.gif

Skins013.JPG

on.gif

Skins016.JPG

on.gif

Skins018.JPG

on.gif

Skins019.JPG

on.gif

Skins020.JPG

on.gif

Skins021.JPG

on.gif

Skins022.JPG

on.gif

Skins024.JPG

on.gif

Skins028.JPG

on.gif

Skins030.JPG

on.gif

Skins033.JPG

on.gif

Skins034.JPG

on.gif

Skins037.JPG

on.gif

Skins038.JPG

on.gif

Skins039.JPG

on.gif

Skins041.JPG

on.gif

Skins050.JPG

on.gif

Skins052.JPG

on.gif

Skins058.JPG

on.gif

Skins059.JPG

on.gif

Skins060.JPG

on.gif

Skins064.JPG

on.gif

Skins065.JPG

on.gif

Skins066.JPG

on.gif

Skins068.JPG

on.gif

Skins069.JPG

on.gif

Skins071.JPG

on.gif

Skins074.JPG

on.gif

Skins080.JPG

on.gif

Skins082.JPG

on.gif

Skins083.JPG

on.gif

Skins084.JPG

on.gif

Skins086.JPG

on.gif

Skins088.JPG

on.gif

Skins090.JPG

on.gif

Skins093.JPG

on.gif

Skins094.JPG

on.gif

Skins096.JPG

on.gif

Skins098.JPG

on.gif

Skins103.JPG

on.gif

Skins105.JPG

on.gif

Skins106.JPG

on.gif

Skins107.JPG

on.gif

Skins108.JPG

on.gif

Skins109.JPG

on.gif

Skins111.JPG

on.gif

Skins116.JPG

on.gif

Skins117.JPG

on.gif

Skins118.JPG

on.gif

Skins120.JPG

on.gif

Skins121.JPG

on.gif

Skins123.JPG

on.gif

Skins124.JPG

on.gif

Skins125.JPG

on.gif

Skins126.JPG

on.gif

Skins130.JPG

on.gif

Skins131.JPG

on.gif

Skins135.JPG

on.gif

Skins137.JPG

on.gif

Skins138.JPG

on.gif

Skins139.JPG

on.gif

Skins142.JPG

on.gif

Skins144.JPG

on.gif

Skins145.JPG

on.gif

Skins148.JPG

on.gif

Skins150.JPG

on.gif

Skins151.JPG

on.gif

Skins152.JPG

on.gif

Skins155.JPG

on.gif

Skins159.JPG

on.gif

Skins169.JPG

on.gif

Skins170.JPG

on.gif

Skins177.JPG

on.gif

Skins182.JPG

on.gif

Skins183.JPG

on.gif

Skins184.JPG

on.gif

Skins187.JPG

on.gif

Skins188.JPG

on.gif

Skins190.JPG

on.gif

Skins194.JPG

on.gif

Skins197.JPG

on.gif

Skins199.JPG

on.gif

Skins200.JPG

on.gif

Skins202.JPG

on.gif

Skins207.JPG

on.gif

Skins209.JPG

on.gif

Skins210.JPG

on.gif

Skins211.JPG

on.gif

Skins213.JPG

on.gif

Skins214.JPG

on.gif

Skins215.JPG

on.gif

Skins216.JPG

on.gif

Skins217.JPG

on.gif

Skins218.JPG

on.gif

Skins220.JPG

on.gif

Skins223.JPG

on.gif

Skins224.JPG

on.gif

Skins225.JPG

on.gif

Skins228.JPG

on.gif

Skins229.JPG

on.gif

Skins231.JPG

on.gif

Skins233.JPG

on.gif

Skins235.JPG

on.gif

Skins238.JPG

on.gif

Skins239.JPG

on.gif

Skins240.JPG

on.gif

Skins241.JPG

on.gif

Skins242.JPG

on.gif

Skins244.JPG

on.gif

Skins246.JPG

on.gif

Skins247.JPG

on.gif

Skins249.JPG

on.gif

Skins253.JPG

on.gif

Skins254.JPG

on.gif

Skins256.JPG

on.gif

Skins257.JPG

on.gif

Skins258.JPG

on.gif

Skins260.JPG

on.gif

Skins262.JPG

on.gif

Skins263.JPG

on.gif

Skins264.JPG

on.gif

Skins265.JPG

on.gif

Skins266.JPG

on.gif

Skins268.JPG

on.gif

Skins269.JPG

on.gif

Skins272.JPG

on.gif

Skins274.JPG

on.gif

Skins275.JPG

on.gif

Skins276.JPG

on.gif

Skins279.JPG

on.gif

Skins280.JPG

on.gif

Skins284.JPG

on.gif

Skins285.JPG

on.gif

Skins287.JPG

on.gif

Skins288.JPG

on.gif

Skins289.JPG

on.gif

Skins291.JPG

on.gif

Skins292.JPG

on.gif

Skins293.JPG

on.gif

Skins296.JPG

on.gif

Skins298.JPG

on.gif

Skins300.JPG

on.gif

Skins301.JPG

on.gif

Skins303.JPG

on.gif

Skins304.JPG

on.gif

Skins308.JPG

on.gif

Skins311.JPG

on.gif

Skins314.JPG

on.gif

Skins318.JPG

on.gif

Skins319.JPG

on.gif

Skins321.JPG

on.gif

Skins323.JPG

on.gif

Skins324.JPG

on.gif

Skins325.JPG

on.gif

Skins326.JPG

on.gif

Skins328.JPG

on.gif

Skins330.JPG

on.gif

Skins333.JPG

on.gif

Skins334.JPG

on.gif

Skins335.JPG

on.gif

Skins337.JPG

on.gif

Skins338.JPG

on.gif

Skins339.JPG

on.gif

Skins340.JPG

on.gif

Skins341.JPG

on.gif

Skins343.JPG

on.gif

Skins344.JPG

on.gif

Skins345.JPG

on.gif

Skins347.JPG

on.gif

Skins348.JPG

on.gif

Skins349.JPG

on.gif

Skins350.JPG

on.gif

Skins352.JPG

on.gif

Skins353.JPG

on.gif

Skins357.JPG

on.gif

Skins358.JPG

on.gif

Skins360.JPG

on.gif

Skins363.JPG

on.gif

Skins364.JPG

on.gif

Skins366.JPG

on.gif

Skins369.JPG

on.gif

Skins371.JPG

on.gif

Skins372.JPG

on.gif

Skins373.JPG

on.gif

Skins375.JPG

on.gif

Skins376.JPG

on.gif

Skins378.JPG

on.gif

Skins379.JPG

on.gif

Skins381.JPG

on.gif

Skins383.JPG

on.gif

Skins384.JPG

on.gif

Skins386.JPG

on.gif

Skins388.JPG

on.gif

Skins389.JPG

on.gif

Skins391.JPG

on.gif

Skins392.JPG

on.gif

Skins394.JPG

on.gif

Skins395.JPG

on.gif

Skins397.JPG

on.gif

Skins398.JPG

on.gif

Skins400.JPG

on.gif

Skins402.JPG

on.gif

Skins404.JPG

on.gif

Skins405.JPG

on.gif

Skins406.JPG

on.gif

Skins407.JPG

on.gif

Skins409.JPG

on.gif

Skins411.JPG

on.gif

Skins413.JPG

on.gif

Skins415.JPG

on.gif

Skins416.JPG

on.gif

Skins417.JPG

on.gif

Skins419.JPG

on.gif

Skins421.JPG

on.gif

Skins423.JPG

on.gif

Skins427.JPG

on.gif

Skins428.JPG

on.gif

Skins429.JPG

on.gif

Skins431.JPG

on.gif

Skins432.JPG

on.gif

Skins436.JPG

on.gif

Skins437.JPG

on.gif

Skins439.JPG

on.gif

Skins440.JPG

on.gif

Skins441.JPG

on.gif

Skins442.JPG

on.gif

Skins443.JPG

on.gif

Skins444.JPG

on.gif

Skins446.JPG

on.gif

Skins447.JPG

on.gif

Skins448.JPG

on.gif

Skins450.JPG

on.gif

Skins453.JPG

on.gif

Skins454.JPG

on.gif

Skins455.JPG

on.gif

Skins457.JPG

on.gif

Skins459.JPG

on.gif

Skins460.JPG

on.gif

Skins461.JPG

on.gif

Skins463.JPG

on.gif

Skins464.JPG

on.gif

Skins466.JPG

on.gif

Skins467.JPG

on.gif

Skins468.JPG

on.gif

Skins471.JPG

on.gif

Skins472.JPG

on.gif

Skins473.JPG

on.gif

Skins474.JPG

on.gif

Skins475.JPG

on.gif

Skins476.JPG

on.gif

Skins478.JPG

on.gif

Skins479.JPG

on.gif

Skins480.JPG

on.gif

Skins481.JPG

on.gif

Skins482.JPG

on.gif

Skins483.JPG

on.gif

Skins484.JPG

on.gif

Skins485.JPG

on.gif

Skins486.JPG

on.gif

Skins487.JPG

on.gif

Skins488.JPG

on.gif

Skins489.JPG

on.gif

Skins491.JPG

on.gif

Originally Posted by themurf

This team is just a happier bunch than the last couple years. Even last week when they lost to Cincinnati, I noticed how many of the players were still goofing with each other and having fun out there before, during and after the game. These guys like each other and they like playing football - there’s no malcontents (see: Coles, Laveranues).

I noticed the same thing last night at the game. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but there’s just a different feel about the team than in previous years. The guys look like they’re having a blast out there; they act like they’re really enjoying what they do. The atmosphere just felt … lighter? Less gloomy? Hopeful, maybe?

Great write-up, Brian. This is exactly the type of piece that I was hoping we’d see on Extremeskins as a result of the merger. Thanks for your hard work. (And keep those Shawn Springs photos coming! :cloud9: )

Archived