Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trailer For Jarhead

Hooper

"You will train...you will hydrate...AND YOU WILL MAINTAIN A CONSTANT STATE OF SUSPICIOUS ALERTNESS!" Man, i didn't know sarge went hollywood! ;)

Looks like it could be good. looks like they're trying to make a combination of platoon and born on the 4th of July out of the skirmish that was Desert Storm. Good lineup though.

I'll tell you one thing, having been there....those scenes are realistic as hell. One thing about serving in the military, it kind of ruins most military movies for you, because they are always so inaccurate and cheesy.

The pics of the burning oil fields like the ones we seized at Al Burqan - those are almost exactly accurate pics.

They even had some Christmas shots....we had a Saddam voodoo doll Christmas Tree....

Looks like it might be very good.

Originally posted by Tarhog

I'll tell you one thing, having been there....those scenes are realistic as hell. One thing about serving in the military, it kind of ruins most military movies for you, because they are always so inaccurate and cheesy.

The pics of the burning oil fields like the ones we seized at Al Burqan - those are almost exactly accurate pics.

They even had some Christmas shots....we had a Saddam voodoo doll Christmas Tree....

Looks like it might be very good.

Thanks for serving, Tarhog!:notworthy

Thanks - not trying to pimp myself there - but seriously - I could post pics almost identical to that trailer. They have some great consultants on the job for that flick.

One of my coolest memories, which I hope they show in the flick, is sitting in a fighting hole in the dark on the Kuwaiti border the night the air war started, looking up at the sky with night vision goggles, seeing (as far as the eye could see) jets and bombers heading overhead. We listened to Armed Forces Radio as the ground shook and the horizon lit up for the next 6 hours. It was....well....both surreal and gratifying. Never forget that...it meant the damn war was finally on, and one way or another, we'd be going home before too long.

Thats all a military guy wants :)

OK, maybe I'm spinning off this thread, but,

My biggest memories were both of Norm Schwartzkopf in news conferences.

#1)

Q) Iraq has been claiming for weeks to have the best air-defense system in the world. Yet you're claiming that the air war has been going on for three days, and we haven't lost a single aircraft. How do you reconcile these two statements?

A) I don't think I want to tell you why their air defenses aren't working better.

Q) Aren't you concerned with how high the estimates are for what it's going to cost to ship all your gear back to the US?

A) If I'd known they were going to surrender so fast, I wouldn't have brought all that stuff.

And one other, from the pilot of an A-10. (BG: Early in the air war, an Iraqi unit crossed into Saudi, and took a tiny town that was right on the border. The US hadn't even guarded the town, because they didn't want to make the town a target. Aparantly, (my theory) word got out among the Iraqis that there had been a successfull attack against the US, and a major unit came out of their holes and was preparing to head out to attack.)

The A-10 pilot explained that the Iraqi units were actually easier targets than the ones he practices against. They weren't moving, had no cover in the middle of the desert, and they were on a road that was actually several feet higher than the surrounding terrain, in a straight line.

He said he emptied his weapons load into them. (Which is really scary, considering what an A-10 will carry.)

He said his only problem with the mission was that he had to fly in circles for 20 minutes before AWACS told him it was his turn in the attack pattern.

Looks pretty realistic. I too got to see the airshow from a little north of Dahairan.

The B-52's were miles into Iraq pounding the Republican Guard, and you could still feel a slight vibration in the ground

Sucked to be those guys

Gotta love Roger Deakins. Great replacement for Conrad L. Hall. I seriously think Deakins will be as respected as Hall, when he's older.

Also I love the cast and I love Kanye West. However, as a general rule, I don't like war movies. There are exceptions though. I hope this becomes one.

Originally posted by Larry

OK, maybe I'm spinning off this thread, but,

My biggest memories were both of Norm Schwartzkopf in news conferences.

#1)

Q) Iraq has been claiming for weeks to have the best air-defense system in the world. Yet you're claiming that the air war has been going on for three days, and we haven't lost a single aircraft. How do you reconcile these two statements?

A) I don't think I want to tell you why their air defenses aren't working better.

Q) Aren't you concerned with how high the estimates are for what it's going to cost to ship all your gear back to the US?

A) If I'd known they were going to surrender so fast, I wouldn't have brought all that stuff.

And one other, from the pilot of an A-10. (BG: Early in the air war, an Iraqi unit crossed into Saudi, and took a tiny town that was right on the border. The US hadn't even guarded the town, because they didn't want to make the town a target. Aparantly, (my theory) word got out among the Iraqis that there had been a successfull attack against the US, and a major unit came out of their holes and was preparing to head out to attack.)

The A-10 pilot explained that the Iraqi units were actually easier targets than the ones he practices against. They weren't moving, had no cover in the middle of the desert, and they were on a road that was actually several feet higher than the surrounding terrain, in a straight line.

He said he emptied his weapons load into them. (Which is really scary, considering what an A-10 will carry.)

He said his only problem with the mission was that he had to fly in circles for 20 minutes before AWACS told him it was his turn in the attack pattern.

The town you're referring to was Khafji - and that was my unit. To be honest, we'd been filling sandbags and digging holes in the desert for so long at that point, there really wasn't much belief Hussein would try something like this. But I give him credit, he did. It was a fairly ballsy move - just done on way too small a scale. They launched a 3 pronged mech attack (the part you're referring to was down the East coast highway into Saudi). The amazing thing about that attack was that the Marines were actually stopping the Iraqi armor with M203 rifle-launched grenades and MK-19 rounds - the MK-19 was one of my favorite weapons, a (usually) vehicle mounted gun that lobbed 100's of small anti-personnel grenades a minute at the enemy. It was designed as an area anti-troop weapon, but at Khafji, the gunners found it was blowing the hell out of vehicles and armor.

It was confidence inspiring. I remember that night very well, because we thought 'this is it' and were sent out to guard the biggest forward ammo storage area on the Saudi-Kuwait border. It was protected by nothing other than 4 walls of piled up dirt berms, and a company of Marines. We kicked the hell out of them at Khafji though :) They didn't really want any of the US Marine Corps. Not then, and not later when we went into Kuwait.

They STILL don't.

I've heard some...troubling things about the book and the author, about his attitude and propensity to relate lies or Marine Corps "legends" as biographical accounts. It also, depending on who you ask, has singularly negative view of the Marine Corps and ultimately the military. And I don't mean the kind of intellectual reflection on war and the existence of the soldier outside the 'myth' but of not acknowledging the honor with which being a sniper is held, or that not every Marine serving is a complete turd who had to join or go to jail.

Which is probably why it's being made into a movie. :)

Originally posted by Tarhog

The town you're referring to was Khafji - and that was my unit. To be honest, we'd been filling sandbags and digging holes in the desert for so long at that point, there really wasn't much belief Hussein would try something like this. But I give him credit, he did. It was a fairly ballsy move - just done on way too small a scale. They launched a 3 pronged mech attack (the part you're referring to was down the East coast highway into Saudi). The amazing thing about that attack was that the Marines were actually stopping the Iraqi armor with M203 rifle-launched grenades and MK-19 rounds - the MK-19 was one of my favorite weapons, a (usually) vehicle mounted gun that lobbed 100's of small anti-personnel grenades a minute at the enemy. It was designed as an area anti-troop weapon, but at Khafji, the gunners found it was blowing the hell out of vehicles and armor.

It was confidence inspiring. I remember that night very well, because we thought 'this is it' and were sent out to guard the biggest forward ammo storage area on the Saudi-Kuwait border. It was protected by nothing other than 4 walls of piled up dirt berms, and a company of Marines. We kicked the hell out of them at Khafji though :) They didn't really want any of the US Marine Corps. Not then, and not later when we went into Kuwait.

They STILL don't.

:notworthy

Archived