Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else notice.......

NoCalMike

That the Patrick Ramsey articles are starting to get more positive in general? I mean everyone has to paste in the "Gibbs has no confidence" & "Skins QB situation unstable" crap, but other then that dribble, overall it seems the press and media is liking what they see of Ramsey thus far through training camp.......I don't want to get ahead of myself but I think Ramsey might be in store for a breakthrough season.

:2cents:

i dont mind it, I just like any positive attitude for training camp this year, and so far it seems positive all the way! Lavar isnt running in pads, but hes still sprinting, Taylor is beastly, and everything else is rather minor save for Carlos Rogers. If they say Ramsey is showing more confidence, then that is good.

Originally posted by LivestrongSkins

He better have a breakout season because Campbells contract strongly indicates he is being looked at to see significant action next season.

:helmet:

No it doesn't. Not in the slighest.

Campbell's base salary is $310,000 next year. He has just $5.3 million in bonus money, so, his hit will be just over $1.4 million next year. That hardly suggests a player who'll get time based on contract. In fact, it benefits the team NOT to play him because he has incentives based on performance so as long as Ramsey is playing well the contract for Campbell is largely inconsequential.

Originally posted by Art

No it doesn't. Not in the slighest.

Campbell's base salary is $310,000 next year. He has just $5.3 million in bonus money, so, his hit will be just over $1.4 million next year. That hardly suggests a player who'll get time based on contract. In fact, it benefits the team NOT to play him because he has incentives based on performance so as long as Ramsey is playing well the contract for Campbell is largely inconsequential.

IMO, it is a strong indicator that he is being looked upon after this year to start. With an incentive based contract, many of which start taking place in 06', it is hard to believe otherwise. If Campbell's camp didnt think Campbell could realistically have a chance to hit the incentives, I think he would of held out longer looking for more guaranteed money. I guess we will see how it plays out, but i dont see Ramsey in a Redskins uniform for too much longer. :2cents:

Originally posted by KingTaylor21

Even if Ramsey has a great breakout season. It will be his last in Washington. No way the Skins took Campbell and traded those pics to have him sit next year... So i think Ramsey will be traded good season or abd.

Yeah i agree. No matter how much the fans like Ramsey, something about him turns Gibbs off. I believe if he plays well, then he gets traded for something great in return. If he stinks it up, then it's just a reason to get Campbell on the field. It's a shame because if Ramsey succeeds, I'd like to see him stay.

Originally posted by NoCalMike

That the Patrick Ramsey articles are starting to get more positive in general? I mean everyone has to paste in the "Gibbs has no confidence" & "Skins QB situation unstable" crap, but other then that dribble, overall it seems the press and media is liking what they see of Ramsey thus far through training camp.......I don't want to get ahead of myself but I think Ramsey might be in store for a breakthrough season.

:2cents:

A little dilemma would be created if he did indeed breakout.

Contract is expiring soon, and with Campbell now in the mix, what to do?

Yeah i agree. No matter how much the fans like Ramsey, something about him turns Gibbs off. I believe if he plays well, then he gets traded for something great in return. If he stinks it up, then it's just a reason to get Campbell on the field. It's a shame because if Ramsey succeeds, I'd like to see him stay.

Um, if he trades a good QB to play an unknown/unknowable quantity I will stop following the team until Gibbs is gone.

Point blank. That's IF Ramsey plays really well and we get to the playoffs(or if he plays well but for some reason the D gets slaughtered by injury or the like)

I agree with most people that this is Ramseys shot, take it or lose it. He is going into the last year of a contract however and needs leverage to retain the starting spot, or be worth any trade value.

If he stinks it up or plays less than stellar, I fully expect to see him either gone via trade (Miami for a WR) or in a backup role.

I would wager that if the media is indeed giving props to Ramsey, its to cover their ass so they dont get burnt with a Brees thing. Wasnt he medicore then they got a high profile draft QB then Brees had a breakout season? My guess is any Ramsey up talk from the press is just in excersise in CYA.

They only thing I've seen them critical of in the latest articles is his not connecting on long balls a lot. One article suggested that timing between reciever and QB is not a factor in the deep ball. How stupid is that. You have to throw to a different spot based on the speed of the receiver. Those are the lowest percentage plays that are called.

Even if he doesn't hit a lot of them, if the receivers can get past the DB's, it forces the defense to play off some. This will open up the running came and intermediate crossing patterns. All we have to do is hit the deep ball on occasion to keep the defenses honest.

By the end of training camp, he should be synched up much better with the receivers and be hitting them downfield more. Based on the overthrows, I'd say he's being cautious to prevent int's.

IMO, it is a strong indicator that he is being looked upon after this year to start. With an incentive based contract, many of which start taking place in 06', it is hard to believe otherwise. If Campbell's camp didnt think Campbell could realistically have a chance to hit the incentives, I think he would of held out longer looking for more guaranteed money. I guess we will see how it plays out, but i dont see Ramsey in a Redskins uniform for too much longer. :2cents:

Believe nothing you read in the Post as a general rule. However, here, they are right and you did misunderstand it. The contract has heavy incentives based on playing time and playing ability. That means if Ramsey plays well and Campbell doesn't play, he gets no incentives. If Campbell does play, and plays well, he does.

The point is based on contract, it would benefit the Redskins NOT to play Campbell for a couple of years assuming others are holding the job down.

I disagree with those who feel that Ramsey only has one year. Ramsey is contractually locked up through 2006 and his fate will be determined by both the '05 and '06 seasons. If he continues to complete 62% of his passes in '05 and his net yards per attempt improves to 6.3 or above, there is no way he won't continue to be the QB in '06.

Peyton Manning completed 67% of his passes last year. Tom Brady only completed 60%. 62% is good, PR just needs to improve his distance by a yard or two.

Originally posted by KingTaylor21

Even if Ramsey has a great breakout season. It will be his last in Washington. No way the Skins took Campbell and traded those pics to have him sit next year... So i think Ramsey will be traded good season or abd.

Lets be realistic...if Ramsey had a phenominal year and looked to be a top rated qb...no way gibbs just lets him walk because he drafted a qb.

True enough ... personally the Cambell pick is an indication that we will be loosing Brunell next year .

Every team needs 2 QBs on the roster who can play . The reason we took Cambell this year and not waited till next year to adress the QB situation is because Gibbs wants a certian comfort level with his QBs and this way we get to be a year into the QB development.

Ýf Ramsey plays well this year Ý can imagine him being locked up long term anc compeating with Cambell for years to come. Rember Ramsey was a Snyder pick after all Spurrier didnt want him.

Originally posted by Califan007

Rich Tandler said he's been unimpressed with Ramsey so far, tho...

I was thinking the same thing.

Let's see Patrick during the first couple of preseason games before we start saying one way or the other how he's done after another offseason.

Personally, if he can be accurate on everything from dump passes to the 20+ yard outs, then I'm not going to be all that worried about his relative inaccuracy on deeper balls. Those deep passes are mostly valuable as a threat that the defense has to account for anyway, which can open things up underneath.

Archived