Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your Favorite Moment as a Redskins Fan

Taylor 36

OK, I was lying in bed last night thinking about some of the things that I would like to see happen this upcoming season. It quickly turned into me thinking of some of the great plays and moments that I have had as a fan of this team.

So, I was wondering what everyone else here would say is their favorite moment as a Redskins fan. It could be a play, a game, a season, or whatever.

For me, I think I would have to say (and believe me this was tough to come up with just one) my favorite moment as a fan was on January 30, 1983. The Skins had just wrapped up Super Bowl XVII. It was awesome that my team had finally won a Championship in the Super Bowl era, but what makes this my favorite moment was the excitement my father had. He was jumping up and down like a schoolboy. He even had a few tears build up in his eyes. I saw them there, but he'd never admit it. I would give anything to see my dad like that again.

Anyway, there are so many great moments, plays, and games in our team’s history. Which is your favorite?????

Definitley being in the middle of that seat cushion-tossing fiasco in the (1991?) NFC Championship when we slammed the Falcons. I asked my dad if I could throw my cushion and he told me not to and that I'd thank him later. Thing is still up on the wall in my laundry room.

Freakin' awesome. One of the most influential experiences in my life.

I can't remember the game or the DB that did this, but someone might be able to refresh my memory. John Riggins was running for a long TD with one man to beat. A CB and he was closer to the side lines. He hit Riggo and bounced off of him as Riggo crossed the goal line.

Mine is undoubtedly the ride that was the 1991 season.

I have been a fan my whole life but I really only started to understand football in the mid-1980s. I knew that the Skins won SBXVII but I didn't really experience the whole season. Then 1987 occurred and that was magical...but if you recall, people were saying things to the effect that Gibbs could only win SBs in strike years.

Anyway, 1991 rolled around and we were just so dominant from start to finish, it was a dream season.

The one game that sticks out in that season is vs. the Cowboys in Dallas. It was a MNF game in week 2 and they were kicking the snot out of us for a while. I believe we were down 21-10 before we turned it on to beat them 33-31.

Anyway, I was only 14 or 15 so I remember almost every play from that season!

BTW...GREAT THREAD!

This will probably sound generic by the time this all over with, but my favorite moment as a Redskins fan has to be the NFC Championship game at home against Dallas. The stands were rocking with B&G, bouncing up & down & the ONLY thing you could here (even over the announcers) was ":wewantd: :wewantd: :wewantd:." It still gives me goosebumps hearing it in my head & thankfully, it is a defining moment in our history, so whenever I feel the "need" to hear it, I just throw in my "History of the Redskins" tape & watch as the Cowboys march to their ultimate doom that season. I remember Randy White & Tom Landry saying later that they could hear it in their locker room. I always like to think that hearing the fans chanting ":wewantd: " MUST have gotten into their psyche. They were walking into a warzone & they knew it. I think that has to be my favorite moment as a Redskins fan. The 12th Man at their...at OUR best.

I'm glad that the 2nd game against Dallas will be at home this year. The last few seasons (5, I think??), the home Dallas game has been the first meeting with them & then the game that would actually mean something has been in Dallas. Hopefully, come week 15 this season, it will mean something again & we will once again serenade those pansies from north Mexico with chants of:

:wewantd: :wewantd: :wewantd: :wewantd: :wewantd: :wewantd: :wewantd:

My favorite memories of the redskins were going to rfk as a child with my dad. I can vaguely remember superbowl SB26. i was only 7 years old then. i just remember watching one half with my dad and the second half with my mom. those were some good times.

Man, their has been sooo many, so I will share 2, 1 from the past, and 1 my the last few years.

My favorite play of all time was Riggins 4th and 1 run in Super Bowl XVII, but my favorite moment would be when the Skins beat Dallas in the 1982 NFC Championship. That was very special because of my hatered for the Cowgirls.

My most recent moment was when I heard that Joe Gibbs was coming back to coach our Skins. I called my mom (she's a huge Skins fan too) and told her that Gibbs was coming back. She said "It's to early in the morning for your BS." I then told her to turn on the 4-letter word (ESPN) and I will hold on.

A few moments later, I hear my mom in the background yell out "YES" and she came back to the phone and said, "I will never dought you again about anything you say about the Redskins."

D. Green's punt return in the playoffs against the Bears

D. Green knocking down the last second pass against the Vikings for the NFC Championship

The entire 1991 season, everytime I thought things couldn't get any better, they did.

The second quarter of the super bowl when Doug Williams came back in to relieve Jay Schreoder and went off!!!

The whole world had to hear "Hail to the Redskins" over and over and over again in the second quarter.

And Denver, the fans, the anouncers nobody could do anything about it.

"My most recent moment was when I heard that Joe Gibbs was coming back to coach our Skins. I called my mom (she's a huge Skins fan too) and told her that Gibbs was coming back. She said "It's to early in the morning for your BS." I then told her to turn on the 4-letter word (ESPN) and I will hold on. " - Skinsfan44

I had the exact same thing happen with my dad. I called him at like 5:45 in the morning to catch him before he left for work. He asked me what I was smoking.:laugh:

"Five minutes before opening day kick-off 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, etc . . . (you get the idea)

Right before it all starts... man I get such a rush." - Digger

I understand completely.

:cheers:

Going to see my first game at RFK. My dad had always told me that his seats were in the "loudest endzone in the NFL." It was more than amazing to experience it first hand.

I don't remember the outcome...although I am pretty sure we won. I just remember Testaverde and the Bucs were backed up in our endzone and MAN was it loud. Three and out... Sheer Magic.

Mine is the 2nd quarter of Super Bowl XXII. 35 points. Doug Williams. Timmy Smith. Ricky Sanders for 80. Holy crap there wasn't a finer quarter of football EVER played by any team before the Super Bowl era or in the Super Bowl era. Come on. 35 points?!?!? Mindboggling.

1972 NFC Championship

Washington 26

Dallas 3

There have been so many great memories before, and since, this game.

But for me, it was the first "Big Game" as a fan. Against our arch rival, that team spawned from Satan himself, and we stomped their a$$.

That was the first time I remember being so happy I wanted to cry.

Of course, I did after the next game.:doh:

Anyway, I'm still thinking my best memory hasn't happened yet, but this one will do.

For now. :cool:

Archived