Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Personal Analysis on Offense (kind of long)

D'Pablo

This is for projected starters:

QB: Ramsey has not shown a thing. What troubles me about him is that he hasn't gradually raised his play, but rather played really well in spurts. He is definately short for a pocket passer which affects his ability to see the big play developing. Everyone has seen him miss the open receiver down field. He would be best served by having one large consistent possession receiver (not necessarily a gamebreaker) ala Plaxico Burress. Remember, Ramsey doesn't have too much touch on his passes, so a receiver with some big hands would do him well. Notice how Cooley thrived alongside Ramsey. Durability seems to be a concern with Ramsey too as he takes a lot of big hits. I realistically foresee a 2,700 - 3,000 yard, 17 TD, 11 INT, 63 Completion% season for him.

WR: Moss has great agility and quickness which serves him well on his routes. His hands have yet to be tested, though, as he has had some cream puffs tossing the ball to him. Pennington in the pros and Dorsey in college. With Ramsey, passes need to be pinpoint because they are usually lasers. This is where Moss's size works against him along with blocking DBs on running plays. Also, Moss will be asked to go deep a lot, which means he will be stressing his fragile hamstrings often. Durability will be a concern. I foresee a 60 reception and 800-900 yard season for him.

Patten is used to the intermediate out routes from his time in NE. If Ramsey can perfect this pass, then he will certainly have an everydown target. I expect Patten to be clutch on third downs, but his YAC will be lagging. He will probably be Ramsey's go to option because of his reliability and his knowledge of the game. His blocking will be an enormous boost for the run game allowing for Portis to finally bounce it to the outside. Once again though, he lacks the bulk and height to be a possession guy. I foresee a 45-55 reception and 550-700 yard season for him.

Jacobs has really bulked up in order to take on the smallish corners of the NFL. He is an unknown at this point and probably has a very small arsenal of moves to get by defenders. Patten should become a positive mentor in this department. Once he has proven he can produce, I expect that he will become a starter and Patten moved to the slot. Although Jacobs has speed, he is the only top 3 receiver on the skins with size, a priority for a NFL starter. If Jacobs is as advertised, he should be utilized almost exactly as Coles was last year (a solid possession guy who could develop into more). One thing that Jacobs has going for him is his experience with cannon armed QBs (Ramsey and Grossman). I foresee a 40-50 reception and 500-700 yard season for him.

H-Back: Cooley was a welcomed surprise last season. He is essentially a possession receiver posing as a blocker. That, unfortunately, is not necessarily a good thing. His blocking got significantly better as the season wore on, but it still wasn't on par with the Doc Walkers of the past. If our receivers struggle, I expect Cooley's production to dwindle as well because he will get additional attention. This plus his suspect speed does not add up well. On the plus side, his route running and size make him an ideal Ramsey target. I expect a 30-40 reception and 500-600 yard season for the big guy.

HB: Portis's added weight over the offseason will help only two parts of his game, blocking and endurance. Portis is going to need some serious help from his O-line, which greatly contrasts with the one he had in Denver. Only Samuels and Thomas have similar playing styles to those in Bronco-ville. Everyone else is bulky and they rely more on strength and girth to get by as opposed to quickness and positioning as in Denver. This means Portis must evade more defenders behind the line of scrimmage. Thus, Portis has the most to gain from Bill Musgrave's arrival. When he was in Denver, I would estimate that 30% of his running plays developed out of the shotgun, where he could see on-coming rushers. He was an excellent receiver in the flat, but never will be in Washington due to some of Ramsey's inadequacies. His best receiving play last season was a deep post, which is kind of weird for a RB. Despite the added weight, Portis will still suffer a beating from being the feature back in a one back offense. This means injuries and games missed. I expect 1350-1500 yards rushing and 250-350 yards receiving. He should make the probowl on name recognition and improved production.

TE: Royal became a great red zone target toward the end of last season. He is supposed to be very athletic although we haven't seen much of this in his limited PT. I don't expect much PT this year either. He'll probably come in during red zone situations where another big receiver will be needed. His blocking is suspect as is his overall effort at times. At times, though, he seemed like another reliable Cooley on the field. I would expect a 200-300 yard receiving year from him.

O-Line: Samuels seemed like world beater when he played alongside Dave Szott in 2001. Since then, there has been a giant rotation at the LG position, which I believe has adversely affected his play. Generally, Samuels's strongest games have been when Dockery picked up his own. Samuels will never have elite size for a LT, but he certainly has the athleticism and wing span. This is kind of odd considering his toughest competition has been speed rushers. The additon of mother in the weight room should help him with his injury-proneness and endurance issues. Added strength should be a nice perk too. Expect Samuels to have a stellar probowl season this year.

Dockery has the size, but lacks the strength and focus. Bugel has called him out a couple of times on his mental lapses, and perhaps Dockery finally gets it this season. When he is on, he is friggin' on. The guy made pro-bowler Kevin Williams look like a rag doll. With age comes maturity and with maturity, comes fewer mental gaffes. Dockery has had the gift of starting from day one and having played in two extremely different systems, one pass happy and one rush happy. Mother should improve Dockery's strength issues this season too as it seems everyone on the team is getting more and more chiseled. Dockery's outlook is bright because he looked all-world toward the end of last season and he should build on that.

Rabach is supposed to be the anchor for our line. He became a full time starter last season at center for the first time. This worries me even if he did do an admirable job. With a lack of experience at center, he may have trouble adjusting to a new offense. There has been conflicting reports about his ability to pull effectively. After watching tape, he improved as the season wore on but he was still only average. With the Ravens, he played on a seasoned line including Mulitalo and Ogden, so he may have had it easy with his work load. Fortunately, he has much more size and athleticism at center than anyone we've had for the last five years. His adjustment should be made easier with a fellow alumni in Raymer showing him the ropes. Rabach should be solid.

Thomas is just solid. He is definately better at pass blocking than run blocking, but he does a good to great job at both. At times he was forced to compensate for our weakness at center and right tackle, which caused a drop off in his own game. His technique was probably the most sound of anyone on the line last season. Rabach and Jansen will lessen the burden on Thomas, and his game will improve as a result. The improved offseason conditioning program should help him with his run blocking this season too. Thomas should be a probowler.

Jansen is critical for the skins. His stable great play became a staple for the team, and when he was lost for the season, so was a great deal of confidence in the O-Line. Fortunately, adequate backups are being developed for spot duty along with the age defying Ray Brown. With Jansen's knee injury, his footwork may become a bit erratic. This unfortunately is a big part of his game as he isn't the most athletic of tackles (otherwise he'd being playing on the blindside). So long as Jansen is solid, he will be a great improvement over the fill ins from last year (no offense to Brown, as he did the best he could out of position). Jansen should also improve Ramsey's standing with the offensive line considering their friendship. Jansen will be somewhere between very solid and great depending on his recovery.

What do you think?

I see the o-line having a big improvement. All the starters will be back this year making it what 2 or three years together with the exception of the Rabach. Granted new system but now over a year old, two training camps together, they should know whats going on.

Ramsey everyone is showing some kind of doubt in him. Why?

Last year he was supposed to be the savior. Hes sporatic because the coaching has been spradic. Again year 2 same system, modified I am sure to fit his abilities. As long as hes thinking (and not to much) he will fine. Hes got alot of good advice coming his way.

Portis I expect some real good running because of the oline.

have no worries about him or any backups.

The recievers to me are interesting bunch. You got some small guys with speed, and a couple big targets. I think there is some kinda mixture they are looking for to cover all the field. Cooley production alone last year makes him a serious concern for def. and will allow more production from the WRs. I see a well balanced attack.

Good post.

I believe everything rests with the OL. Ramsey, if he gets the time he will be very solid at least. Portis will be able to run because finaly we have receivers with speed to spread the field. I am sorry people Coles wasn't the receiver we wanted with that toe. Moss is a playmaker. He can take a catch to the house. Coles can't do that anymore. As will all teams injuries will play a part in the offense because after our starters we have many question marks. Just look what happend last year when we lost Jansen. If however the OL stays healthy we have a very legitimate shot at Phlly's division title. I trully believe that.

When did Jansen suffer a knee injury? I suspect little adverse effects from the repaired Achilles tendon.

Barring injury, Royal will be used plenty... not just in goal line situations.

Too cliche, national-media-esque on your assessment of Ramsey. When given a real opportunity (ie not the one down hail maries he's been asked to perform from time to time or the other desperate situations like the first Giants game he's been inserted into) he has always, ALWAYS been impressive.

Oh man, achilles tendon... sorry, I was up kind of late writing this. I wouldn't see my assessment of Ramsey as media-esque as I've seen game film of every game he has ever played in. Ramsey's best games have been where he has played with a great deal of mediocrity then had to make up for it in the last 2-3 minutes. Just because I didn't praise Ramsey doesn't mean I should be clumped in with the stupid sports writers of america. After all, I'm not rooting against him.

I'm an optimist so this reads a bit pessimistic. Plus, your opening, contradictory comments regarding Ramsey certainly do seem national media-esque as TerpSkins points out. Which is it? Has Ramsey shown nothing, or has he played well in spurts?

The key to success is the play of the O line. Jansen and Rabach should make a huge difference and I feel this point is understated.

Also, I'll have to re-read your post, but I saw nothing about Coach Gibbs tinkering with the Shot-Gun. It's not so much the formation, but Gibbs willingness to adjust which is illustratrated.

I wasn't trying to rag on you, D'Pablo, about your assessment of Ramsey... but it did seem to over-simplify things a bit which is why I called it cliche. You sort of alluded to that by saying he played well in spurts, but as red zone pointed out, that is in direct contradiction to saying he has shown nothing.

In my opinion, if you take out garbage time (such as the plays where he was inserted just for a hopeless hail mary) and a few of his first few games as a rookie, Ramsey has played very well and pretty consistently. He's had receivers with serious dropsies (especially Coles last season) and some big time protection problems. Even in the first Giants game last season, despite the bad interceptions, we started coming back when he was in the game. We actually looked like we were going to score every drive he started in that game... and we may have even come back and won that game if it weren't for a few bad drops by receivers.

My take on Ramsey:

He's a guy who has shown a tremendous amount of toughness and a strong arm. He also has shown patience here and there to let things develop on their own.

On the down side, he needs to work on his touch passes. When things start to get away from him, he starts to force things, making mistakes. Sometimes, will hold the ball too long, and not know when a play is dead.

I think, with good offensive line play and a good running game, Ramsey can be a very fine QB right now. If he gets better at some of these other things, he could be great.

Jason

Originally posted by D'Pablo

This is for projected starters:

QB: Ramsey has not shown a thing. What troubles me about him is that he hasn't gradually raised his play, but rather played really well in spurts. He is definately short for a pocket passer which affects his ability to see the big play developing. Everyone has seen him miss the open receiver down field. He would be best served by having one large consistent possession receiver (not necessarily a gamebreaker) ala Plaxico Burress. Remember, Ramsey doesn't have too much touch on his passes, so a receiver with some big hands would do him well. Notice how Cooley thrived alongside Ramsey. Durability seems to be a concern with Ramsey too as he takes a lot of big hits. I realistically foresee a 2,700 - 3,000 yard, 17 TD, 11 INT, 63 Completion% season for him.

man if we had those passing stats last year we would've been in the playoffs. With average QB play this team can go very far.

Originally posted by red zone

I'm an optimist so this reads a bit pessimistic. Plus, your opening, contradicory comments regarding Ramsey certainly do seem national media-esque as TerpSkins points out. Which is it? Has Ramsey shown nothing, or has he played well in spurts?

The key to success is the play of the O line. Jansen and Rabach should make a huge difference and I feel this point is understated.

Also, I'll have to re-read your post, but I saw nothing about Coach Gibbs tinkering with the Shot-Gun. It's not so much the formation, but Gibbs willingness to adjust which is illustratrated.

Not a completely contradictory statement in that Ramsey has not shown he can be a consistent NFL starter (injuries or really bad games). I must have written a pretty thorough analysis to have people nitpicking at my choice of syntax. It is my fault, however, for not making it a bit clearer. My logic is that it takes a great deal of time to become a good QB unless you're Marino or Manning. Right now, Ramsey is striving for serviceable, or in other words, to become the glue of the team. One thing I do find contradictory is to say Ramsey holds on to the ball for too long (universal fact) and then say he doesn't have time to pass. The shotgun will help Ramsey, but only in the sense that he'll see the field a bit better. It won't give him much more time than before.

That said, I'm not being pessimistic regarding Ramsey. As someone previously stated, with the numbers I predicted for him, we would have been in the playoffs last season. Remember, our receivers aren't world beaters. Right now, anything more positive than what I predicted would be based on potential and not past production. It has been a two seasons since Moss had a 1000 yard season, Patten has never exceeded 800 yards receiving, and Jacobs has not produced at all.

Jansen and Rabach are huge difference makers and I thought I had alluded to how their additions will affect the play of their fellow line-mates and Portis. Contrary to popular belief, however, our pass protection was decent last year. On game tape, Brunell and Ramsey had between 3-5 seconds pretty consistently to throw the ball. They still didn't produce up to their expectations. I expect the largest contributions for Jansen and Rabach to come in the run game (which Jansen has commented that he enjoys more). Living between DC and Baltimore has allowed me to see a great deal of Ravens footage, and Rabach is also more of a run first lineman. He won't, however, be a liability in pass protection as Raymer and Friedman were at times.

As for the shotgun, I think it vastly opens up our offense, but not in the popular sense. The run game will improve because it suits Portis, but this won't make Ramsey much better. Ramsey will improve with his audibles, but this won't positively affect his deep accuracy or ability to create touch passes.

Ramsey is a stand up and genial guy. He shows a lot of heart and toughness. These are the things that will propel him to the top if it ever happens. This season we should just hope for one solid season and baby steps in overcoming his deficiencies.

Ok a note on Ramsey, How can you say he doesn't have touch on his passes after watching the second half of last season?

I mean to me, he showed enough in those games to display the fact that he is a much different QB then he was under Spurrier. When Ramsey came in as relief for Brunell he was still Spurrier's QB, but by the time Ramsey got a hold of the offense and felt comfortable, he seemed to command it pretty well, and seemed to have no problem showing the shorter softer throws.

Ramsey is deffinatly very inconsistant. After almost every great play he makes, he immedialty makes a completly boneheaded play. Everything else in between is decent. Other then his really great throws and his really bad decisions, he gets the ball in the right area but so many of his throws are high or behind his reciever, which stops plays, and is a part of why we had so few big plays. Yes I know we didnt throw too many long bombs down the field, but we also never had Coles catch a ball that was led perfectly about a half foot ahead of him right at number level so he could catch it at full stride and easily pick up 5 10 or even 15 YAC. When the WR has to jump or slow down to catch a ball behind them, or dive for a ball it kills a play at the point of the catch because they have no momentum and they become an easy target.

The line is obviously a key factor, Ramsey needs time to throw. When he can step up he can get off a pretty decent pass, but its gonna all come down to Ramsey. If the ball is there Moss will catch it, Patten will catch it, Cooley catches everything anyway, Jacobs can catch and will get a chance to finally. The ball just needs to be there. If Moss or Patten get a perfect pass with just a little seem we will see what having small fast recivers can do for you.

Originally posted by SamSneed36

Ramsey is deffinatly very inconsistant. After almost every great play he makes, he immedialty makes a completly boneheaded play. Everything else in between is decent. Other then his really great throws and his really bad decisions, he gets the ball in the right area but so many of his throws are high or behind his reciever, which stops plays, and is a part of why we had so few big plays. Yes I know we didnt throw too many long bombs down the field, but we also never had Coles catch a ball that was led perfectly about a half foot ahead of him right at number level so he could catch it at full stride and easily pick up 5 10 or even 15 YAC. When the WR has to jump or slow down to catch a ball behind them, or dive for a ball it kills a play at the point of the catch because they have no momentum and they become an easy target.

The line is obviously a key factor, Ramsey needs time to throw. When he can step up he can get off a pretty decent pass, but its gonna all come down to Ramsey. If the ball is there Moss will catch it, Patten will catch it, Cooley catches everything anyway, Jacobs can catch and will get a chance to finally. The ball just needs to be there. If Moss or Patten get a perfect pass with just a little seem we will see what having small fast recivers can do for you.

It still seems Ramsey is being judged/punished for the QB he was under Spurrier, when even then he showed flashes of brilliance.

Once again, watch the second half of last season, and tell me how you can even justify regurgitating the same criticisms of him that people said during the Spurrier years?

Originally posted by NoCalMike

It still seems Ramsey is being judged/punished for the QB he was under Spurrier, when even then he showed flashes of brilliance.

Once again, watch the second half of last season, and tell me how you can even justify regurgitating the same criticisms of him that people said during the Spurrier years?

Actually I have 4 4 of the last 6 games of the season on Tivo, and Ive watched them all about 5 or 6 times each this offseason. In my post I said he makes some really good throws, or "flashes of brilliance" if you must. But I said he is INCONSISTANT, he makes a great throw but then he gets intercepted by the Dlineman of the Vikings, or he tosses up a pick in the second eagles game when all he had to do was throw it away and let Hall tie it up for pver time when he clearly had the momentum. Or even smaller things, like all the High passes he threw in the Giants game, which was a great game for Ramsey, but of course against a very injured Giants team with no offense and no Strayhan.

Im not saying Ramsey is crap, I used to think that, but my opinion of him has gone up, but he still kills his own drives with poor dicisions and throws. He is still a threat to throw away a game on one play. Hes still very inconsistant.

You guys know a lot more about Ramsey than I do, so don't take this like I'm lecturing you or anything, but I noticed that he used to have a high yards per completion, but a low completion percentage, and last year, it was exactly the opposite. He got his completion percentage up, but the yards per completion dropped. It'll be interesting to see if he can get the best of both worlds this year - complete over 60% of his passes, and keep the YPC up. That might be difficult to do right out of the box with 40% turnover on the OL, and 100% turnover at WR.

The other thing is, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't with Ramsey. If he throws for 3,000 yds and 20 TDs this year, you wasted 3 draft picks on Campbell, who might only see the field in relief until you deal him to some other club. If Ramsey blows, you've got a new rookie QB to break in, and that's probably postpone your playoff hopes.

Originally posted by flashback

You guys know a lot more about Ramsey than I do, so don't take this like I'm lecturing you or anything, but I noticed that he used to have a high yards per completion, but a low completion percentage, and last year, it was exactly the opposite. He got his completion percentage up, but the yards per completion dropped. It'll be interesting to see if he can get the best of both worlds this year - complete over 60% of his passes, and keep the YPC up. That might be difficult to do right out of the box with 40% turnover on the OL, and 100% turnover at WR.

The other thing is, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't with Ramsey. If he throws for 3,000 yds and 20 TDs this year, you wasted 3 draft picks on Campbell, who might only see the field in relief until you deal him to some other club. If Ramsey blows, you've got a new rookie QB to break in, and that's probably postpone your playoff hopes.

Funny, what you're saying as a damned if you do and damned if you don't also reads as the Redskins being in a win-win situation. If Ramsey is good, the Redskins win. It doesn't matter what the pick was with Campbell. If Ramsey is bad and the Redskins can't win, there's a legitimate prospect in reserve who will have most of at least one year to sit back and learn the league and system before being asked to play.

There's no question this is hedging one's bets a bit, but, you now increase your chances of success out of this crucial position and protect yourself somewhat better against failure. If Campbell is just not any good AND Ramsey is no good, then our playoff hopes are going to take a serious hit.

Originally posted by red zone

I'm an optimist so this reads a bit pessimistic. Plus, your opening, contradictory comments regarding Ramsey certainly do seem national media-esque as TerpSkins points out. Which is it? Has Ramsey shown nothing, or has he played well in spurts?

The

Playing well and spurts and showing nothing are the same thing as far as I am concerned. Give me a player that only plays well in spurts and I will show you a player that has shown me nothing.

That being said I hope Ramsey really steps up this year and shows something.

:logo:

I think this is a reasonably sound evaluation. Where I might question you is your thinking Ramsey will end up between 2,700 and 3,000 yards with around 17 TDs. Rarely in life do projections work, but, here a projection can be of great benefit to us.

Ramsey started and played seven full games. He came in as a reserve in two others, so he played, roughly, 8 full games -- maybe a hair more, but roughly. He played in a scaled back offense with some concerns up front and questionable receiver play. Yet, in roughly have the season he still managed 1,665 yards and 10 TDs. I think it's pretty hard NOT to see him play a full season and manage around 3,200 yards. The question is whether a year in the system and greater security will allow him to put it together a bit more and manage superior play of around 3,500 yards and 22 or so TDs, which would put the Redskins in contention.

I don't know the answer there. Additionally, I do not believe it's correct to say Ramsey would be better paired with bigger receivers. His throwing arm is such that he's far better served with quicker guys who can get just enough of a step to allow Ramsey to dart the ball in to him. A weaker armed QB needs bigger receivers to protect against a soft arm. A big-armed QB probably will fit nicely with the quickness available to him.

Big OR small, the receivers have to create space and be reliable, something they were not last year.

That's exactly the point of view that I can expect from the haters media. The criticism will continue to rain down regardless.

The flaw in that argument is, if Ramsey "blows" and we had taken say a WR or DE with that other #1, what are we left with? Mark Brunell? Are you going to tell me that Bledsoe or Jeff Garcia would have been the answer to our prayers? Even if I stopped laughing and gave them the beny of the doubt - they'd be an answer for 1-2 years tops. Then what? Trading up was a bad idea? Ok...so let's say we never traded up and had our #1 next year...do you take a rookie with the #1 in 2006? He's one year behind where Campbell would be if you do. It's also possible that we would be sitting in no-man's land at #14 which is too far out of the lottery slots where the Matt Leinarts get picked. Now you are looking at reaching or taking a 2nd or 3rd rounder or dipping into that free agent QB pool which has pretty much never been the answer expect for Rich Gannon.

Originally posted by cscmtp

no offense, but you sound really neagtive about the Skins. I wouldn't be shocked to learn if you were really a cowgirl in Skins, i mean Sheeps, clothing....

I take a lot of offense to that. Our passing game is not going to dramatically improve overnight unless we add a Randy Moss or TO. We didn't do that, but rather traded potential for moderate production (Moss is still more potential than production). A 3000 yard season for a QB would be pretty good for someone that has never surpassed 2200 yards. Of course, you seem like the kind of fan that wants to hear that we're going to become the #1 offense next season and go 16-0. Fair enough, I was once like that too. Going 9-7 with moderate production on offense would suffice for me. I think our defense has a legitimate chance at being #1 because of our improved offensive production. All in all, I could see us being the 17th ranked offense and 1st ranked defense and be okay with it. This would realistically mean we're playoff bound.

Originally posted by D'Pablo

I take a lot of offense to that. Our passing game is not going to dramatically improve overnight unless we add a Randy Moss or TO. We didn't do that, but rather traded potential for moderate production (Moss is still more potential than production). A 3000 yard season for a QB would be pretty good for someone that has never surpassed 2200 yards. Of course, you seem like the kind of fan that wants to hear that we're going to become the #1 offense next season and go 16-0. Fair enough, I was once like that too. Going 9-7 with moderate production on offense would suffice for me. I think our defense has a legitimate chance at being #1 because of our improved offensive production. All in all, I could see us being the 17th ranked offense and 1st ranked defense and be okay with it. This would realistically mean we're playoff bound.

This time last year some were still lamenting not taking Winslow to create what was the perfect offense on paper. Now, we're saying the offense can't possibly be a lot better unless we sign someone of elite stature. That's just not the right shift to make. Coaching matters. The defense drastically improved because it was coached well and added the right parts. The offense will play well if it is coached well and added the right parts. It had the wrong parts and was not coached well last year.

If Gibbs is right about what he needs to make it go with the people he has and he added the right people, there's no reason to believe Gibbs won't produce a highly ranked offense, which he always did the first time around. As I've said, if Ramsey answers the bell, suddenly the team has a top runner, great offensive line, explosive, 1,000-yard receiver, a capable threat on the interior at the TE/HB position and a fine QB.

Adding Moss or Owens is meaningless if Ramsey can't get more consistency. If he can, he's as apt to do it with the people he has now as they fit what he can do nicely.

Archived