Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who wrote the bigger/better Masterpiece? Tolkien or Rowling?

footballhenry

Guest Gichin13
Originally posted by Ancalagon the Black

The first Potter book is a children's piece through and through. They don't get really good until the third one. I would suspend judgement if I were you until reading at least the third, fourth, and fifth.

That said, my vote DEFINITELY goes to Tolkien.

Hmm, why am I not surprised LOL!

You simply shouldn't be allowed to mention Rowling and Tolkien in the same sentence unless you are beginning a sentence like "Rowling owes much to....."

Oh, come on. Yes, Tolkien would be my choice as well, but Rowling is truly brilliant and is clearly underappreciated( on this board anyway)

Originally posted by iheartskins

I think it comes down to, without Tolkein, there is no Rowling. Tolkein (albiet arguably) created the genre.

I'd buy that Tolkien brought the genre to its highest flowering, but he didn't create it. Check out the legend of King Arthur for example.

Guest Gichin13
Originally posted by smsmith40

Phillip Pullman's Northern Lights

Is that the trilogy with Amber Spyglass in it? If so, those books were really good. Of course, here I am pushing 40 and apparently liking kids books:cool:

yeh, Tolkein popularized the fantasy realm, and made different definitions to teh creatures (elfs, goblins, orcs, trolls, etc...). Rowling has written her books well, especially the 3rd one, that book is just genius, soo many things happen, and yet you keep thinking they are in another book due to all the events.

I think Harry Potter holds a candle to Chronicles of Narnia, both are aimed for childrens readings, granted CS Lewis has written a lot of other stuff. However, Tolkein still takes the cake as he wrote for adults, and it was picked up by children, which I think is harder than adults picking up a kids book.

Originally posted by redman

I'd buy that Tolkien brought the genre to its highest flowering, but he didn't create it. Check out the legend of King Arthur for example.

to be a complete smarta**: The Epic of Gilgamesh dates back to like 2100 BC maybe even earlier.

sorry did an essay on it for an ancient history class...

Originally posted by Mr. S

yeh, Tolkein popularized the fantasy realm, and made different definitions to teh creatures (elfs, goblins, orcs, trolls, etc...). Rowling has written her books well, especially the 3rd one, that book is just genius, soo many things happen, and yet you keep thinking they are in another book due to all the events.

I think Harry Potter holds a candle to Chronicles of Narnia, both are aimed for childrens readings, granted CS Lewis has written a lot of other stuff. However, Tolkein still takes the cake as he wrote for adults, and it was picked up by children, which I think is harder than adults picking up a kids book.

CS Lewis also wrote the Screwtape Letters, something I'm almost positive Rowling(whatever her beliefs) would be utterly incapable of creating.

Originally posted by Gichin13

Is that the trilogy with Amber Spyglass in it? If so, those books were really good. Of course, here I am pushing 40 and apparently liking kids books:cool:

I've read the first two of that trilogy, 'The Golden Compass' and 'The Subtle Knife', both of which were great reads. I haven't read the third one yet; I'll have to get on that. :)

Guest Gichin13
Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

CS Lewis also wrote the Screwtape Letters, something I'm almost positive Rowling(whatever her beliefs) would be utterly incapable of creating.

That theme of Christianity also runs underneath the Narnia books. I think Screwtape Letters is brilliant. I bought another similar book of CS Lewis that I have yet to read, need to get through that one ...

Guest Gichin13
Originally posted by Ancalagon the Black

The Screwtape Letters? Overrated. Almost as overrated as the dreadful Space trilogy.

first time I have disagreed with you Ancalagon -- I really liked it, but I admit it has been quite a long time since I read it.

I will agree, however, that his space books are annoying. I started trying to read a couple of them and could not get past the first chapter

Originally posted by Gichin13

first time I have disagreed with you Ancalagon -- I really liked it, but I admit it has been quite a long time since I read it.

I will agree, however, that his space books are annoying. I started trying to read a couple of them and could not get past the first chapter

I read both Screwtape and the Space books when in elementary school and liked them lots. I pulled them out again freshman year in college to have a look and read through them all. Screwtape stood up better than the Space trilogy did, but not *much* better. I'm wondering if nostalgia is clouding yours or Ghost's judgement...or whether freshman aporeia was clouding mine.

Originally posted by jrockster77

I've read the first two of that trilogy, 'The Golden Compass' and 'The Subtle Knife', both of which were great reads. I haven't read the third one yet; I'll have to get on that. :)

The trilogy isn't called 'Northern Lights', though, its the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy.

Bah to this whole thread.

Tolkien's books are so incredibly boring, it's a labor to get through them.

I know what I need to put here, a 50 verse song that adds nothing to the story!

And he created the language elvish. Boy, that really makes a difference!

The Harry Potter series is a remarkable demonstration of character development, its pacing is leagues ahead of anything Tolkien the Verbose ever wrote (a friend of mine put it best - sometimes a leaf is just a leaf), you actually give a crap about the characters, and rather than being a chore to read, is a joy. I actually get upset when I'm finishing a Harry Potter book, especially when it's the first time I've read it, because I know the story is coming to an end. When I got to the end of LOTR, I was relieved.

Oh, and the 7th book, which will undoubtedly be the best, hasn't even come out yet.

No contest.

Archived