Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are we witnessing the new age of Sports in D.C.?

footballhenry

Originally posted by Khun Kao

Man, I'm not a fan of soccer, but its harsh to see so many people disrespecting the DC United, the one team that has NOT let the region down consistently.

For the record, the United have one NINE major league titles (ok, a number of these titles were not MLS titles, but in international play) But if memory serves me, they won back-to-back MLS titles, appeared in the 3rd MLS title game, and have won 2 more MLS titles since that time.....

C'mon folks, show the DC United some love. They are, after all, our home town boys!!!

Actually I dont think that its the people here that are being so harsh but rather the media. I say this because many of us (myself included) simply did not or do not know of DC United's success. This is because it is simply not covered to great extent at all. I know its because soccer is not a very popular sport here in America but the fact remains that part of that is due to the lack of coverage by the media.

Originally posted by slinky

All though this is a DC thread, don't forget about the Orioles... They are playing great and in contention. O's fans have suffered for a long time... and only one real good year to speak of in a while that was ruined by Jeffery.

And for many sports fans like myself, the O's are still the hometown team to root for.

LOVE to see an O's vs Nat's Series.!

Yeah, I like the O's too but Baltimore and D.C. are at odd ends right now. Especially with the Nats back in town. Furthermore it wouldn't look right for a thread to be about "D.C. Sports are back! oh and Baltimore O's too!!!":laugh:

Originally posted by Khun Kao

Oh, and as an afterthought, in response to 'slinky'....

The Orioles no longer count. I'm sorry, but to me they are now the enemy, just like the Ravens!

GO NATS!!!!

I'll always be an O's fan. Yea Angelos is an a**hole, but he's a business man . The O's are contending for 1st place and their attendance is down from last year...

The O's have one of the most exciting players in baseball in Miguel Tejada and with everyone healthy have one of the most lethal hitting lineups in baseball. (cept for Blow-sa)

I've been amazed at what the Nats have done in the toughest division in baseball; they've done it with defense, clutch hitting, and pitching. They've been outscored this year and yet their 15 games over .500. just amazing

For me to actually follow the Nats each game, though, their gonna have to be at least 2-3 generations away from being the Expos.

Baseball is a little different; rivalries are always within the division. Unless of course we see an Oriole-National World Series. Now that would be somtin.

The Nats only needs to go .500 in the second half to make the playoffs if they just improve their offensive production it would be fun.

5 Team Town??

How about the DC Divas??

:rolleyes:

And NAVY will win the service cup agin when they Spank Army

I think having the Nationals here has created the most excitement this city has seen in years. As I'm sure everyone already knows the buzz around town is huge. They've brought a little respect back and proved this city can support more than the just the skins. Hopefully when the Caps and Wizards come back in the fall they’ll spend some money again and develop the great potential they have and keeping moving DC in the right direction.

Even though I'm personally a diehard Nationals fan, I still see the O's as a hometown team, and I still follow them. I understand that DC fans hate Angelos, but I''ve followed the O's for to long to dislike them. Nothing would make happier than to see them beat out the Sox and Yankees for that division.

As for the wnba, who cares...

Originally posted by mooby

wow. it's amazing how nobody in d.c. mentions the united. they have won 4 soccer championships in a row (or something like that) and people don't give them any love. well all of d.c.'s sports teams are gonna do great next season, imo.

But, but, but....its soccer!!!! :puke:

Originally posted by Mooka

I'll always be an O's fan. Yea Angelos is an a**hole, but he's a business man . The O's are contending for 1st place and their attendance is down from last year...

The O's have one of the most exciting players in baseball in Miguel Tejada and with everyone healthy have one of the most lethal hitting lineups in baseball. (cept for Blow-sa)

I've been amazed at what the Nats have done in the toughest division in baseball; they've done it with defense, clutch hitting, and pitching. They've been outscored this year and yet their 15 games over .500. just amazing

For me to actually follow the Nats each game, though, their gonna have to be at least 2-3 generations away from being the Expos.

Baseball is a little different; rivalries are always within the division. Unless of course we see an Oriole-National World Series. Now that would be somtin.

I'm an O's fan as well. But they aren't going anywhere until they cut that fat, waste-of-space, would get shelled in a little-league game no-talent bum Ponson. As soon as they realize he's terrible and trade him, they'll be alright.

Originally posted by SkinsForLife260

Md terps have been holding our sports town up.

I do hope we make the playoffs.

Each year i think we will be good.

I dont want to say anything this year to jynx it.

I like the Terps to an extent but no... by winning a lot in football? NO! by making the NIT?!? HELL NO!

Sorry that just isn't justified

Originally posted by CowboyzSuckAzz

The Terps? :doh: Dear God, we have had problems here.

F*** the turtle.

I guess I wasn't the only guy that choked on that statement. The Nats are struggling but are still holding on to a 1.5 game lead. A few wins (they're coming home soon) will right the ship. There is no reason that they can't make the playoffs. Imagine that. The playoffs at RFK! Sounds good. Playoffs at FedEx sounds even better.

Originally posted by TheLongshot

Well, the Wizards need to get much better defensively, and so far this offseason, they have gotten worse, so I wouldn't buy those playoff tickets yet. They have a nice foundation, but they still need to get over years of mediocraty.

Jason

I disagree. We let hughes take the ridiculous contract thus freeing up space. We got a budding star and a upgrade at the backup pg position in exchange for a non factor.. Butler can defend both the 2's and the 3's and at 6'7 230 can defend the post. People forget we had jared jeffries starting last year. Once we get donyell marshall here he will be a huge upgrade to jared in the starting 5. in 25 minutes a game last year he averaged 9.9 boards. Thats big time productivity. What we sacrifice in hughes 3 steals we make up in efficient shooting and hey maybe caron actually passes the ball on the break.

The skins set the tone in this town though. If the skins do well it makes for happier wizards and nationals fans. :D

Anyone who was an O's fan before the Nats came and are no longer an O's fan.. then shame on you. Nothing wrong with liking the Nats but if it was a Nats vs Os World Series and you root for the Nats, then you plain suck. I will rooot for Nats but never above my beloved O's/

slinky....

I agree. I *used* to be an O's fan, but began disliking them a few years ago. I completely gave up about 2 years ago. Now with the Nats in town, its a moot point.

On a side note, I am not a true Baseball fan. I really don't like watching it that much. I am simply trying to be supportive of the home team. Baltimore never really felt like the home team to me....

Originally posted by mooby

wow. it's amazing how nobody in d.c. mentions the united. they have won 4 soccer championships in a row (or something like that) and people don't give them any love. well all of d.c.'s sports teams are gonna do great next season, imo.

Thing is, most people don't care about Soccer. I know I don't.

Archived