Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are we witnessing the new age of Sports in D.C.?

footballhenry

For the past decade, our nation's capital has been riddled with lackluster seasons, crushing defeats, and dwindled hopes. As a hardcore Redskin fan, I remember actually crying at the age of 11 after the Redskins lost a game, which sadly began to be the norm. There was no baseball in D.C. throughout the 90's and early 21st century. There was no winning in basketball, the Wizards/Bullets made the playoffs just once (correct if im wrong) in over a decade. The Redskins dropped off the NFL radar ever since Joe Gibbs left in the early 90's, only making the playoffs once since then. There has been no winning in Washington D.C. for far too long. We have had no baseball team, no winning basketball team, and no winning football team. I suppose the Washington Capitals (hockey) could be looked at as a positive, but I see it as a negative. For is it really a GOOD thing when the best thing your city can muster is a hockey team?

Things began to turn last offseason, and I felt it at the time. It was when Joe Gibbs walked back as the Redskins Headcoach. I didn't predict a winning record last year, I took a more realist approach, and though I wouldve liked to been proven wrong, I was right. Gibbs needed a little time, but thats the least we as fans could've given the man.

Now with the Preseason sprinting towards us, I see the light more than ever. I dont see anymore doom and gloom, I dont see the hopelessness of sports in D.C. The Washington Wizards made the playoffs, and had an amazing season even making the second round of the playoffs. Washington now has a baseball team, the Washington Nationals, who are surprising everyone with their heart and determination and currently at the top in the standings. It has been a good year for D.C. sports, and I think we are truly seeing a new age of sports in D.C.

We have the Wizards making 'smart' effective moves in free-agency. We have the NATS playing their hearts out ensuring a bright future here. And we have the Redskins having an extremely productive offseason. Mark it down now, this year 2005 was the turning point for D.C.

Wizards went from 25-57 in '03-04 to 45-37 in '04-05

Nationals went from nonexistant in 03-04 to 52-38 currently

Redskins were 6-10 last season but WILL improve (prediction 10-6)

After witnessing virtually NO happiness in sports for the 10+ years I have been watching, it is very nice to see some good things starting to happen. Its something we all can look forward to. A new age has begun

:cheers:

Nats are crashing (balked in GW run tonight, lost 7 of 9, 5 of 7 in the division), so I wouldn't expect playoffs from them.

What will be interesting to me is how the area will embrace the Wizards because they will, barring any major injuries, atleast make the playoffs this year, perhaps win another series.

I hope that the Nats can atleast stay above .500 and the Wiz continue to make noise in the East so we can get a new outlook on teams in this area.

Originally posted by footballhenry

For the past decade, our nation's capital has been riddled with lackluster seasons, crushing defeats, and dwindled hopes. As a hardcore Redskin fan, I remember actually crying at the age of 11 after the Redskins lost a game, which sadly began to be the norm. There was no baseball in D.C. throughout the 90's and early 21st century. There was no winning in basketball, the Wizards/Bullets made the playoffs just once (correct if im wrong) in over a decade. The Redskins dropped off the NFL radar ever since Joe Gibbs left in the early 90's, only making the playoffs once since then. There has been no winning in Washington D.C. for far too long. We have had no baseball team, no winning basketball team, and no winning football team. I suppose the Washington Capitals (hockey) could be looked at as a positive, but I see it as a negative. For is it really a GOOD thing when the best thing your city can muster is a hockey team?

Things began to turn last offseason, and I felt it at the time. It was when Joe Gibbs walked back as the Redskins Headcoach. I didn't predict a winning record last year, I took a more realist approach, and though I wouldve liked to been proven wrong, I was right. Gibbs needed a little time, but thats the least we as fans could've given the man.

Now with the Preseason sprinting towards us, I see the light more than ever. I dont see anymore doom and gloom, I dont see the hopelessness of sports in D.C. The Washington Wizards made the playoffs, and had an amazing season even making the second round of the playoffs. Washington now has a baseball team, the Washington Nationals, who are surprising everyone with their heart and determination and currently at the top in the standings. It has been a good year for D.C. sports, and I think we are truly seeing a new age of sports in D.C.

We have the Wizards making 'smart' effective moves in free-agency. We have the NATS playing their hearts out ensuring a bright future here. And we have the Redskins having an extremely productive offseason. Mark it down now, this year 2005 was the turning point for D.C.

Wizards went from 25-57 in '03-04 to 45-37 in '04-05

Nationals went from nonexistant in 03-04 to 52-38 currently

Redskins were 6-10 last season but WILL improve (prediction 10-6)

After witnessing virtually NO happiness in sports for the 10+ years I have been watching, it is very nice to see some good things starting to happen. Its something we all can look forward to. A new age has begun

It does seem to me that there is a change in the wind. Baseball is back, Joe Gibbs is back, hockey is coming back & the Wizards went to the 2nd round of the playoffs for the first time in 26 years. Yes, there is a shift in Washington area sports. Hopefully, we'll be able to take Boston's luck from them. ;) The Nats COULD make the playoffs this season, although, I don't expect it. I'm just thrilled to have a baseball team I can root for. I agree. A new age in Washington sports has begun.

Originally posted by TODD

Nats are crashing (balked in GW run tonight, lost 7 of 9, 5 of 7 in the division), so I wouldn't expect playoffs from them.

Well, baseball is a game of streaks. The Nats have had a lot of good streaks in the first half of the season. Right now, they are in a losing streak, but I wouldn't expect that to last.

That balk you mention was total BS. It's like, if the team is from Washington, the umpires or refs are required to screw us out of games. What an azzhole.

Originally posted by BIGGS_DADDY

I hope the nats do make it to the playoffs. That would be one more thing that I could rub in the faces of these philly fans.

Yeah, aren't they like 6 1/2 games back or something like that right now? Yeah, they suck.

Ya know, it's weird, but until we had baseball in Washington, I could have cared less about the sport. Now, the Nats are my 2nd love, behind the Redskins. I have become ridiculously fanatical about them. Go Skins, Go Nats, Ef the rest!

Originally posted by CowboyzSuckAzz

Yeah, aren't they like 6 1/2 games back or something like that right now? Yeah, they suck.

Ya know, it's weird, but until we had baseball in Washington, I could have cared less about the sport. Now, the Nats are my 2nd love, behind the Redskins. I have become ridiculously fanatical about them. Go Skins, Go Nats, Ef the rest!

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same way. Even when I was a kid, I could never convince myself to root for the O's. I guess it was the natural disdain I have in my heart for everything baltimore.

wow. it's amazing how nobody in d.c. mentions the united. they have won 4 soccer championships in a row (or something like that) and people don't give them any love. well all of d.c.'s sports teams are gonna do great next season, imo.

A timely post. I was thinking the same thing a few days ago. It seems that after a long, long draught, positive things start to happen to an area's sport teams. It would'nt surprise if we had a clean sweep in a year or two. I am concerned about the Terps though.

Originally posted by SkinsandTerps

Didnt the United win 3 MLS Championships in a row ?

they were monster in the first seasons of MLS. and they've been pretty nice lately with adu and stuff. i think they won it all last year or the year before.

Originally posted by mooby

wow. it's amazing how nobody in d.c. mentions the united. they have won 4 soccer championships in a row (or something like that) and people don't give them any love. well all of d.c.'s sports teams are gonna do great next season, imo.

D.C. has a pro soccer team?

;)

Originally posted by themurf

I refuse to be Charlie Brown again this year and get my hopes up, only to have the football pulled away at the last minute.

I want the 'Skins to be a contender, but I'm being cautiously optimistic for now.

Aw....come on Brian.....I know we've done you wrong in the past. But things are different now. We'd never pull that football away at the last minute. That was wrong, and we all understand that now.

So come on.

We're all ready for you. Lets see what you can do. Laces out my friend, laces out. Don't worry about a thing :)

1017kr.gif

It will take some time, still.

Its nice to be a "4 sport town"

The Wizards should be making the playoffs consistantly for the next few years. The Caps have a ways to go. And honestly, none of us really know what to make of the Nats.

The flagship though is the Washington Redskins. And when they do well, nothing else really matters

Originally posted by SkinsHokieFan

The Wizards should be making the playoffs consistantly for the next few years.

Well, the Wizards need to get much better defensively, and so far this offseason, they have gotten worse, so I wouldn't buy those playoff tickets yet. They have a nice foundation, but they still need to get over years of mediocraty.

Jason

All though this is a DC thread, don't forget about the Orioles... They are playing great and in contention. O's fans have suffered for a long time... and only one real good year to speak of in a while that was ruined by Jeffery.

And for many sports fans like myself, the O's are still the hometown team to root for.

LOVE to see an O's vs Nat's Series.!

Man, I'm not a fan of soccer, but its harsh to see so many people disrespecting the DC United, the one team that has NOT let the region down consistently.

For the record, the United have one NINE major league titles (ok, a number of these titles were not MLS titles, but in international play) But if memory serves me, they won back-to-back MLS titles, appeared in the 3rd MLS title game, and have won 2 more MLS titles since that time.....

C'mon folks, show the DC United some love. They are, after all, our home town boys!!!

Archived