Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I don't get Harry Potter?

boobiemiles

The books are great! The hype is mainly cause of all the kids who started to make it popular. I have had just as many talks about Harry Potter with adults as I have with children at toys r us. People lined up just to get the copy right away, but before people lined up as supply did not meet demand, now it probably exceeds it. People line up now more for the activities that go on, Barnes and Noble had a lot of activities according to my friend who had to work last night.

If you guys actually try and read the books, you wont be able to put them down, then again, you have to have some inclination to reading and the fantasy genre.

I'll make one serious comment regarding the movies. I appreciate that they are very well done, since its obligatory/mandatory that my kids drag me to every damn one.

Unlike many kids movies these days, they are very well done, great special effects, good acting, and entertaining. What more can you ask for? Beats the latest Disney fare (usually starring Hillary Duff!) any day of the week....

As for the books....never read one :)

The books are quite good reads. I'm struck by the fact that the maturity level of each book tracks well with the age of the protagonist.

SWMBO picked up the book this morning. She was at a Border's to pick up a different book, and although she wanted to grab the Potter novel, they were sold out (except for the $60 leather-bound version!). A fellow patron told her to go next door to the Best Buy, of all places, selling the Potter book 30% off.

Originally posted by Fred Jones

I will add that the author, who was living in a car before she started writing the books, is a little greedy and does not like Americans.

From an all British cast for the movies too her numerous comments in public have convinced me that she just does not like Americans.

Yeah, not to mention her outright thieving from Tolkien (among other things)

Oh, apparently in this book there might be some subtle political commentary. Heard about something involving the British Prime Minister awaiting the phone call of the "wretched man who was President of a distant country."

Hey could be President Kang, overlord of Slobovia, but with some other things I've heard from her--probably not.

Originally posted by Mr. S

If you guys actually try and read the books, you wont be able to put them down, then again, you have to have some inclination to reading and the fantasy genre.

Actually I love fantasy, and I love reading. My mom bought me some of the books years ago, but I couldn't get into them. I just didn't like them. Don't have a specific reason, but I suppose it just wasn't for me. Haven't seen a Harry Potter movie to this day either...

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

Oh, apparently in this book there might be some subtle political commentary. Heard about something involving the British Prime Minister awaiting the phone call of the "wretched man who was President of a distant country."

Hey could be President Kang, overlord of Slobovia, but with some other things I've heard from her--probably not.

I love the politics of Harry Potter. The ethos underlying the story is fundamentally libertarian.

for those of you who have seen the movies, but not read the books, they books are much better than the movies. the movies could never match the books because it would be a 12-hour movie per book. if you like the movies, just try the books.

as for the british cast... this book takes place in brittain, dummies. if i wrote a book that took place in america, i'd choose american actors, unless i had foreigner parts to be filled.

Originally posted by luckydevil

I love the politics of Harry Potter. The ethos underlying the story is fundamentally libertarian.

If you say so, you have a link to that argument?

I see a bunch of kids whose actions never actually impact the world, just their mythical magical enclave.

"We've got save Hogwarts!" Well, whoo-dee-damn doo. We'll all survive if some tykes from Hogwarts get killed or eaten.

cmon EVERYONE has stolen from Tolkien. (George Lucas, especially)

Its pretty hard to have a Fantasy story and not use Tolkein.

cmon EVERYONE has stolen from Tolkien. (George Lucas, especially)

Its pretty hard to have a Fantasy story and not use Tolkein.

I see a bunch of kids whose actions never actually impact the world, just their mythical magical enclave.

"We've got save Hogwarts!" Well, whoo-dee-damn doo. We'll all survive if some tykes from Hogwarts get killed or eaten.

Obviously you've only read the first few books and/or seen the movies. The 4th, 5th, and 6th books get into the overall wizarding world much more, especially the 5th. The essential underlying political themes are about the government trying to save its own hide. I suppose you could force connections with the war in Iraq, but the essential politics are about propaganda, government control of media, education, etc.

As for the "dreadful man from a distant country" line, these are the PM's thoughts, not necessarily Jo Rowling's.

Originally posted by NYSkins1

As for the "dreadful man from a distant country" line, these are the PM's thoughts, not necessarily Jo Rowling's.

but the PM is imaginary, not real. :)

rowling wrote it.

that's like saying that quenton tarantino doesn't really like gratuitous use of the "n" word, jules does.

Originally posted by dviands

please point me in the direction of lucas stealing from tolkien.

what's up w/ this thread title?

Borrowing and stealing are different things, but I wrote a paper on the parallels.

Maybe I'll post it as a separate thread one day.

Vader is Gollum. Gollum went under the mountain in the darkness and the story ends when the mercy that was shown him results in him being alive to topple over teh edge.

Vader is shown mercy by Luke, Vader's darkness under the mountain is his own suit of armor and mask.

And Vader, unlike Gollum, makes the decision to cast the Ring, er Emperor, into the fire aka reactor.

The entire empire's spirit collapses once the Emperor's dark side energy is released, just as Barad-dur and all of Sauron's works collapse physically.

Sting, Frodo's sword that glows blue, is given to him by his Uncle Bilbo, his 'father figure.' Luke is 'given' the sword of Anakin, his father, and that is a blue lightsaber.

Mumakils=Elephant Walkers(AT-ATs)

Borrowing and stealing are different things, but I wrote a paper on the parallels.

Maybe I'll post it as a separate thread one day.

Vader is Gollum. Gollum went under the mountain in the darkness and the story ends when the mercy that was shown him results in him being alive to topple over teh edge.

Vader is shown mercy by Luke, Vader's darkness under the mountain is his own suit of armor and mask.

And Vader, unlike Gollum, makes the decision to cast the Ring, er Emperor, into the fire aka reactor.

The entire empire's spirit collapses once the Emperor's dark side energy is released, just as Barad-dur and all of Sauron's works collapse physically.

Sting, Frodo's sword that glows blue, is given to him by his Uncle Bilbo, his 'father figure.' Luke is 'given' the sword of Anakin, his father, and that is a blue lightsaber.

Mumakils=Elephant Walkers(AT-ATs)

i think that good vs. evil and redemption are common themes.

people make parallels all the time. hell, some people thought watoo represented jews.

your parallels here are interesting, but they are yours, and not lucas', imo.

You have to read the books. Bureaucracy and regulation are often ridiculed and criticized. In fact, many have compared the Harry Potter seriers to Atlas Shrugged

Here is one link from a leftist perspective. You have to pay for the link. Harry Potter, Market Wiz

http://www.janegalt.net/blog/archives/004254.html

http://catallarchy.net/blog/archives/2003/07/05/harry-potter-and-the-free-market/#comments

http://www.hazlitt.org/bookofthemonth/harrypotter.html

http://www.reason.com/links/links070203.shtml

-------------------

Oh and heaven forbid that somebody criticize the president of the United States. The horror

Originally posted by dviands

i think that good vs. evil and redemption are common themes.

people make parallels all the time. hell, some people thought watoo represented jews.

your parallels here are interesting, but they are yours, and not lucas', imo.

Well, Star Wars came out of Lucas' head, most def. But I do think the groundwork came from Tolkien's writings. Many probably do not realize the significant impact Tolkiens books have had on fantasy and even sci-fi. He set the standard, and while good v.s. evil IS a universal theme it was not presented in such complex fashion until Tolkien wrote Lord of the Rings. Lucas, Rowling, among countless others, most def owe part of their stories/ideas to Tolkien. Its the same as Hulk Hogan in the wrestling industry, or Michael Jordan in basketball. The sports, per se, would not be the same without them. Just as athletes owe homage to past icons, so do epic directors, and writers of our time. Tolkien is and forever will be THE standard of excellence:)

Archived