Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TSN: Inside Dish: Cowboys' 3-4 doesn't sit well with Ellis

bubba9497

Inside Dish: Cowboys' 3-4 doesn't sit well with Ellis

http://www.sportingnews.com/exclusives/20050704/629617.html

Cowboys right end Greg Ellis is not happy about the shift to the 3-4 because it forces him to play heads-up against tackles who outweigh him by 30-40 pounds. Ellis is at his best lined up on the outside shoulder of the tight end, where he can use his quickness and take advantage of angles to make plays against the run or pressure the quarterback.

Ellis is a leader on defense and won't be a problem in the locker room, but for the 3-4 to work in Dallas, all of the players must buy into the scheme. . . .

Former Jets offensive coordinator Paul Hackett was vilified in New York for his conservative play calling, but the critics sometimes forgot that he took his marching orders from coach Herman Edwards. Now, with new, aggressive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger on the staff, the question becomes: Will Edwards let him run his own show?

If Edwards treats Heimerdinger the way he handled defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson last season, the answer will be yes; Edwards gave Henderson, who was in his first season as a coordinator, plenty of space. Edwards should have no problems giving freedom to an experienced coach such as Heimerdinger. . . .

Don't put too much stock into reports that the Raiders are interested in trading wide receiver Jerry Porter for Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens. Such a move would be difficult to pull off because of salary cap reasons on both sides, and the Raiders have too much invested in Porter.

Also, team owner Al Davis is fond of Porter and already traded for wideout Randy Moss. . . .

The first few weeks of July will be crucial for the Chargers as they begin negotiations with their two first-round picks. Six of the team's past eight first-round picks have not reported to training camp on time.

And certainly things with outside linebacker Shawne Merriman, the No. 12 pick, have not gotten off to a good start with him choosing to sit out offseason workouts. Agents around the league predict Merriman will miss at least two weeks of camp. The signing process should go quicker with defensive tackle Luis Castillo, the No. 28 pick. . . .

The Bills will keep a close eye on rookie center Duke Preston during the preseason. The team sees Preston as the eventual successor to veteran starter Trey Teague, who is entering the final year of his contract. If the team believes Preston is ready to take over as the starter next year, 2005 might be Teague's last season in Buffalo. . . .

This is a critical season for two former Cardinals first-round choices. Wendell Bryant, the 12th overall pick in 2002, is battling to hang on to a job as nose tackle Russell Davis' backup. Calvin Pace, the 18th overall pick in 2003, is hoping to back up ends Bertrand Berry and Chike Okeafor. Coach Dennis Green didn't draft either player and won't hesitate to cut them if he doesn't think they are improving. . . .

Saints coach Jim Haslett is miffed about the lack of progress in negotiations on a long-term contract extension. Haslett, who has two years left on a five-year extension he signed in 2002, says he was promised a new deal during a January summit meeting with GM Mickey Loomis and owner Tom Benson. Seven months later, Haslett still is waiting for the deal to be final.

Haslett's best strategy might be to roll the dice and hope for a long-overdue breakout season from his team, then force the front office's hand at the end of the year when he would have more leverage.

Originally posted by TimFolk

Who's gonna start on the Dallas front line? I know Fergueson will be the NT, but what about glover is he moving over to DE?

Nope. He will stay in the middle when they play the 4-3 and when they are in the nickle.

BP says he will still see roughly 60-70% of the defensive snaps.

Which is what he wants so he can stay fresh for the course of the entire season.

As for the D-Line, nothing is set in stone right now, but it looks to be Ellis, Fergueson, and Spears.

But that could change during T.C.

Originally posted by frankbones

Who are the 4 LB's going to be? I assume Ware and Noogie will start. Refresh me on the other two

Most likely Bradie James and Kevin Burnett/Scott Shanle...... Al Singleton, Keith O'neil, Kalen Thorton and a converted Eric Ogbogu will also compete.

I kind of disagree, I think Dallas will have a formidible D-line this year (:puke: ). If they control the line of scrimmage and J.Jones continues as he has, Dallas could cause some trouble next season.

Damn, I hate to see it.:doh:

I just think Dallas's defense is going to get worse before it gets better. There is going to be an adjustment period with the 3 - 4. Also, it seems like they are going to be counting on some rookies and older guys this year.

The defense can't get any worse than it was last season. They were so bad last year even the skins could move the ball on them. With Zimmy's "occupy and engage" scheme gone I think they will be much improved.:eaglesuck

Originally posted by GSF

I just think Dallas's defense is going to get worse before it gets better. There is going to be an adjustment period with the 3 - 4. Also, it seems like they are going to be counting on some rookies and older guys this year.

There will be some adjustment to the 3-4 but Parcells doesn't like the undersized 4-3 that we've played since he's been in Dallas. Depth along the D-line is an issue he's addressed as well. Ellis, Glover and the rest of the D-line would wear down late in games. Even when Zimmer fielded a good defense we were always low in sacks and turnovers so change COULD be very good. Yes, we will be counting on rookies and veterans :rolleyes: . Dallas will probably use the 3-4 base 60-70% of the time and Parcells has used the 3-4 about 95% of his coaching career. Should be interesting.;)

Originally posted by THEHEREAFTER

There will be some adjustment to the 3-4 but Parcells doesn't like the undersized 4-3 that we've played since he's been in Dallas. Depth along the D-line is an issue he's addressed as well. Ellis, Glover and the rest of the D-line would wear down late in games. Even when Zimmer fielded a good defense we were always low in sacks and turnovers so change COULD be very good. Yes, we will be counting on rookies and veterans :rolleyes: . Dallas will probably use the 3-4 base 60-70% of the time and Parcells has used the 3-4 about 95% of his coaching career. Should be interesting.;)

I think Ware, Spears, and Canty were great draft picks for you guys, but I wouldn't expect them to carry the defense right away. Glover and Ellis are getting up there in age a little bit, and not well suited for the 3 - 4. Teams are going to pound it on you guys, and I don't see you stopping anybody.

Originally posted by Gfunk703

Feel free to post other articles hating on any moves Dallas has made or is planning on making this offseason. :)

It is something of a point. The majority of press, at least on a national scale, about Dallas this offseason has been positive. Parcells is taking over and doing it his way, but no real mention of what he's been doing the last two years.

The Cowboys defense struggled last year, but, now they are moving to the 3-4 so no worries has certainly been the message. The Cowboys enter the draft with everyone knowing they want defensive linemen types and they get them, so, GREAT work.

It has been a pretty positive bit of coverage Dallas has seen this offseason. I'm SURE there are articles less positive or presumptive of success out there. I just think they are less common than you might expect given the offseason Dallas has had.

Originally posted by Gfunk703

Feel free to post other articles hating on any moves Dallas has made or is planning on making this offseason. :)

http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/0520.html

NFC East

Eagles [13-3]

Giants [9-7]

Redskins [8-8]

Cowboys [6-10]

Philadelphia Eagles - This team is still the cream of the crop in the NFC. They are the big dog until someone knocks them off. Losing Freddie Mitchell is going to help them. He is a walking migraine. They put the franchise tag on Corey Simon, which, to me, is a good move. The biggest question is Terrell Owens. If he plays, the Philadelphia Eagles will have the inside track to the NFC crown again. If he doesn't? This is going to be an interesting season.

N.Y. Giants - Plaxico Burress is going to be really good for Eli Manning. The offensive line has improved, though not greatly. Their defense is still weak. If this team steps up, they could make the playoffs. Coach Tom Coughlin is a good coach, and as long as he doesn't punish players for being 5 minutes early, this team could rally around him and have a good year. They might even pass up the Philadelphia Eagles, IF, T.O. is a no-show.

Washington Redskins - For the first time since Daniel Snyder has taken over, the Washington Redskins haven't signed anyone that has been drafted. They have a decent team, though I am not sure why they traded back into the first round for Jason Campbell. But if Mark Brunell was my back up, I probably would have done the same thing. The biggest question involving the Washington Redskins is, how bad is the legal system going to hurt their defense? Sean Taylor has a court date the day after the first game of the season on felony charges, and he has been excused from off season workouts. And LaVar Arrington is flirting with disaster from his party where a security guard got shot. This is not the Joe Gibbs that I remembered.

Dallas Cowboys - I think that this will be the year that we see a real life Celebrity Death Match between Jerry Jones and the Tuna. The two main players that the Dallas Cowboys brought in, Anthony Henry and Jason Ferguson, Henry was bad in Cleveland, and Ferguson had back surgery. Terrence Newman has yet to show he was worthy of a top 10 pick two years ago, and Drew Bledsoe is as still as the Statue of Liberty in the pocket. This is going to be a long year for Dallas Cowboys fans. But look at it this way, at least you still have the Cheerleaders.

Shall I continue?:)

Archived