Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Forget EA Sports

FARAPS

Im pissed off with this bulls**t that EA sports bought exclusive rights with the NFL. First of all i thought ESPN football was way ahead of madden in graphics and gameplay. the only thing madden had on ESPN was franchise mode in my opinion. I thought ESPN 2K5 was the best football game ive ever played and it was only $19.99 for christ sakes! finally a company stepped up and made a quality game a more fair price for its consumers. Sure they did it to keep up with madden but it was still a noble thing in my opinion.

and what does madden do in response to ESPN making a better game at a more afordable price? do they decrease their price and try and work at making a better game? noooo they just basically buy out ESPN and gain a monopoly. This sucks because you never want one game to gain a monopoly in a genre of sports, because they have no one to work against and therefore dont have any competition to try and make a better game against. even if they slacked off a little bit it wouldnt matter because madden is the only choice now.

now while i dont think EA will slack off with their madden games, im still pissed off because i was a huge ESPN football fan and i think its pretty lame that they got bought out while having in my opinion a far superior game.

im probably going to get slammed by some people who are loyal to madden but im not saying madden is a bad game or trying to insult anyone. im just stating my opinion and if i offend anyone then i apologize. i welcome any and all opinions.

Originally posted by RDSKNfaithfull

Espn was $19 for a reason:puke: Players were morphing all over the field:puke: Gameplay on NCAA is better than both anyway and its made by EA so keep up the good work:cheers:

umm ESPN was way more realistic than madden. not only did it have better graphics but it didnt have superman hits every play. the hitstick is fun to use but its stupid being able to make highlight reel hits ever play, just not realistic.

hahaha sorry dude, but i cant share your disgust. I cant say im happy that EA has a monopoly on NFL games since monopolies result in inferior products down the line generally. I am pleased that Madden is the survivor however, because 2k5 was garbage. Had some good ideas, but the player movements and models look fake to me, and the the gameplay was just weird.

Im also very pleased with the ESPN deal they made, and i hope they use it wisely to really make an amazing football sim.

Originally posted by LivestrongSkins

Relax dude its not the end of the world. Heres something to cheer you up... :boobies: A nice pair of twins always does the trick :laugh:

well... that does make me feel a little better :)

I'm not gonna take sides but there were several features of the espn game that I would love to see incorporated into madden. The morphing comment above is a joke in that the running game in espn was much more realistic than in madden. Juking with the stick in espn depended on the pressure you put on it on how hard the runner cut and it is awesome and real.

I didn't play madden much last year until I heard that there would be no more espn this year.

I hope that ea can learn from being out matched somewhat last year.

ESPN football was far, far superior in Graphics and Gameplay than Madden. In addition, online leagues were awesome.

Madden has a top notch franchise mode. I cannot stand the gameplay after playing Espn. There is simply no comparison.

To make matters worse, this years Madden looks to be a roster update.

Geez.

Originally posted by FARAPS

umm ESPN was way more realistic than madden. not only did it have better graphics but it didnt have superman hits every play. the hitstick is fun to use but its stupid being able to make highlight reel hits ever play, just not realistic.

I didn't find ESPN's running system with the charge-up thing to be all that realistic, but maybe that's just me. ESPN wasn't bad, but overall I don't feel it was as playable as Madden, and for me just wasn't as fun. I loved that it was $20 (at a price where I could buy it and try it out with little remorse), and I'm sad to see that there is going to be a lack of competition. Frankly however, I would probably only have bought Madden this year anyway.

As a side note it's worth mentioning that EA didn't approach the NFL with the intention of squashing the competition (although I'm sure they were happy to do so). The NFL auctioned off the rights to the highest bidder and EA won. If ESPN had outbid EA, there'd be no Madden this year.

P.S. EA, please take a cue from ESPN's challenge system and fix your woefully outdated one.

Originally posted by Ken

To make matters worse, this years Madden looks to be a roster update.

A roster update with a new passing system, improved AI and more realistic play by both the receivers and the defensive backs in terms of situational awareness.

If everything they say is true, anyway.

ESPN's presentation was way ahead of Madden and I love its running game a lot more than Madden's. I am disappointed this happened, but there are a few things that should be pointed out.

1. The NFL is the one who decided it would sell the exclusive rights and those rights were offered openly. EA had the money and needed to protect its #1 franchise, so it bought them. Sure it benefits EA, but the NFL has the blame here for selling exclusive rights.

2. VC was going to raise the price up again for 2K games, we will still see it happen with its other sports franchises. Maybe they won't go all the way back to $49, but the $19 price was to just get EA players to try their game. No matter how good ESPN 2K4 was, it still sold about a 10th of what Madden sold.

3. VC is going to make a football game next year(rumor) based around Legends of the game. They are signing some Hall of Famers (who are no longer included in the NFL license) and people expect the game to be highly modable. Meaning you will like be able to import user graphics to be able to "Skin" the game as an NFL title. This could not be accomplished in one off season, that is why the 2K football series it taking at least a year off.

Lastly, passionate fans are going to keep the 2K5 rosters up to date, so you really don't need a new football game to play this upcoming season.

Originally posted by dfitzo53

improved AI and more realistic play by both the receivers and the defensive backs in terms of situational awareness.

Great, more traveling faster than humanly possible/teleporting by the AI to break up a pass. w00t.

Espn was $19 for a reason:puke: Players were morphing all over the field:puke: Gameplay on NCAA is better than both anyway and its made by EA so keep up the good work:cheers:

i don't see why people love ncaa vs madden so much. i like the game but it seems kinda dated to me. the only thing that's cool is the option.

Both games have their pros and cons. I'm really looking forward to the next gen Madden game -- all my geek friends in the game industry say EA have been focusing most of their energy on that (and sadly that Madden 2006 is really nothing more than a roster update. Again).

it was $19.99 to try to get people, including me, that were all over madden's nuts to try the game. i tried, and a couple of other million other people did too. if you thought the game blew, thats ur opinion, but the price tag was so that people would actually stop being so close minded and try aonther game for once.

Well before you go railing on EA for "buying out madden" get yoru facts straight. Kilmer already said it but, the NFL went to EA and Take 2 (makers of the 2K series) and told them they wanted to sell the license. EA just made the better offer.

And if you dont like it, then dont buy it and dont buy NCAA. Im sure EA will be heart broken because of it. Im sure a good portion of the people that say this is BS, are going to turn around and go get madden and play it. If you hate EA so much dont buy thier product.

Archived