Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Riggo VS Gibbs???

I had a hilarous time today listening to Sirrius Radio. I just posted about the Andy Reid caller. Well there's another story about Riggins.

THere were a few callers today talking about the Redskins. It made me happy since we were finally getting some attention. The problem was that it was all negative. The announcers (Riggo included) were saying that Gibbs didn't have faith in Ramsey; that the game was too fast for Gibbs; that Gibbs didn't do his job because fans thought that he was signed to win immediately and he didn't win immediately; etc

So a few callers called in and talked about how the Redskins get no respect from the media. One caller questioned how everyone has us clearly behind Dallas and NY this year. THe announcer responded that we could win anywhere between 4 and 9 games this year, but probably 6.

The next caller talked about how the pick of Campbell just shows that Gibbs is not just here for the one and done as people thought. He's trying to rebuild the team and it takes time. He questioned why other teams get a new coach and there is nothing wrong with the team is given a grace period, whereas Gibbs wasn't.

But I called in and talked about Ramsey VS Cambpell and said that there's nothing wrong with competion. I gave a little chatter about Schreoder and Williams and the possibiltiy of Ramsey leaving after next year.

Then when I hung up, and mind you this was after three consecutive Redskins callers just dogging them on how they cover the Redskins, Riggins starts to talk about Redskins fans who think he's anti estabilshment because he says a bad word about Gibbs. I think the way he said it was "'I'm just telling the fans opinion from my point of view."

Then Riggo comes with this 5 min speech beginning with "GIBBS FIRED ME!" He didn't sound bitter, but kinda had a bit of a streak like Ima get you back you SOB. It was hilarious. I love Riggins carefree nature.

If I remember correctly Riggo took a bow and walked out of RFK out of his own choice.

I know Gibbs is known for telling a player to hang em up, but I had never heard that he had that conversation with Diesel. Who frankly can rip anyone he wants, and I won't much mind, he won us our first SB(obviously the Line didn't hurt) and was certainly one of the five best Redskins ever probably. Mark May on the other hand, doesn't have this kind of leniency with me.

Originally posted by Darth Tater

bhayesp,

Joe Gibbs did have that conversation with Riggo. He failed to get the message even when Rogers was brought in. According to Riggo though Riggo knew he was fading, he really did not know what else to do but play football.

I appreciate the heads up Darth. Did this talk happen before the Oakland SB? Because I know that Riggo gave a curtain call after the NFC Championship that year, and it seems strange if Gibbs told Riggo he was done, in the middle of a march to the SB.

Problem with Riggins nowadays is that he spends all his time in NY pursuing his acting career and has zero inside info on Gibbs and the Skins and yet he's trotted out as some sort of expert on Joe Gibbs and the Redskins organization.

He's as qualified to discuss today's Redskins as Wise, Kornheiser and Jenkins are for the Post, since all 4 of these "experts" don't step foot inside Redskin Park.

When he's the "class clown" he's fine.

But when he tries to be serious and actually offer some insight and analysis, he's worthless.

Riggins problems back then might very well equate to Taylors problems of today in a broad sense that is. Does it really matter, what he thinks Riggins is alright by me, Hes a wild card, like Taylor, takes all kinds. I enjoy his comments on what it was like when he was on the team, other than that hes knows little more than you or I on what goes on in Redskins Park these days.

Detroit Marucci (sp) is the perfect example of this. They handle them with kid gloves. Its open season on Gibbs, and sometimes I wonder if there is some kinda grudge against him from his past.

Skins were pretty dominate there for awhile, and he might have made a few enemies beating the crap out of everyone for so long you know.

Originally posted by jimster

this is the question I'm still waiting for one of these "experts" to answer.

You guys are being a little too hard on Riggins here.

I am a die hard Redskins fan.

But the facts are:

The franchise has stunk since Gibbs

left except for our playoff year.

They have had no direction since Snyder

came.

They stunk under Schotty, Spurrier, Gibbs.

So why would they get any respect now.;

I LOVE MY REDSKINS but its time to put up some W's.

I remember reading about the Gibbs/Riggo meeting in the Post at the time it occurred. Basically Gibbs told Riggo that he thought that he had lost a step and Riggo said that he disagreed. Riggo has since said that Gibbs saw what he refused to see and always jokes that Gibbs fired him.

But. . . I think that while Riggins respects Gibbs, he is not going to say all is roses when they are clearly not. His opinion is that the drafting of Campbell signals an insecurity that Gibbs has with Ramsey. He is right about that. While I don't believe that Campbell will play this season, that is just my opinion, as Riggins has his.

Riggins questioned Norv and Martyball earlier than many others. He saw things in Spurrier that he clearly did not like at all, and said so. He had doubts about last season, and once again he was right. Of course, it would refreshing if Riggo were wrong for a change, and if he is, I suspect that he will be man enough to admit it.

Not trying to get religious, but it's hard for a Christian to get much respect from the media or society in general. My fellow bros and sis's know what I'm taking about. If you see another coach that is as open about his Christian beliefs as Gibbs is, there'll be haters there, too. :2cents:

I think it's important to remember that even though we adore our Washington Redskins, they truly have not "earned" any "respect" from ANYONE for a LONG time. If someone in the media disses the Skins, they do it because the Skins have sucked the big one and until they win more games than they lose, this will continue.

Here's to silencing the critics in '05/'06.

(Oh- and John Riggns is a traitor!!)

Originally posted by Chachie

I think it's important to remember that even though we adore our Washington Redskins, they truly have not "earned" any "respect" from ANYONE for a LONG time. If someone in the media disses the Skins, they do it because the Skins have sucked the big one and until they win more games than they lose, this will continue.

Here's to silencing the critics in '05/'06.

(Oh- and John Riggns is a traitor!!)

Couldn't have said it better myself...winning stops all of the "hate" direct towards the 'skins...it is all on the players and coaching staff to get the skinsi n gear and get back to the winning ways we were all accustomed to in the 80s and early 90s.

Originally posted by joe

But. . . I think that while Riggins respects Gibbs, he is not going to say all is roses when they are clearly not. His opinion is that the drafting of Campbell signals an insecurity that Gibbs has with Ramsey. He is right about that. While I don't believe that Campbell will play this season, that is just my opinion, as Riggins has his.

But, that's only part of the story. Yes, Gibbs probably doesn't have full confidence in Ramsey, but there are other reasons for the pick. Gibbs didn't have a developmental QB on the roster. (Hasslebeck is the kind of guy you like as a backup, but not as a potential starter.) Also, they obviously like the kid's skills, and saw the opportunity to be able to draft him. There is also the fact that if things don't work out with Ramsey, they will be ahead of the curve.

But, the media seems to want to focus only on Gibbs not having much confidence in Ramsey, which is not the whole story here.

Jason

Archived