Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andy Reid better than Gibbs?

I was listening to Sirrius Radio today in my car and they finally were talking about the Redskins. After a few calls from people, an Eagles fan called in and spoke about Reid, particularly how

- Reid has handled things this offseason compared to Gibbs;

- He said that Gibbs couldn't handle problem players;

- that Reid has a successful program in Philly;

- that Reid was better at adjusting his offense, whereas Gibbs just gave up last year;

I wanted to call in and just profanely denounce these statements, but I had already called in once and the show was about to end. So I just called my dad and we had a good laugh.

I kind of give Andy Reid a lot of credit for opening up the Philly offense this year and seeming to really try catering to McNabb's strengths more. But, this is something he FINALLY did after years of showing an odd unwillingness to adjust much at all.

Reid is not a coach known for his ability to adjust his offense. He largely ran the same structured system for years in Philly until last year when he finally opened it up and became a really dangerous group.

Gibbs was known for adjustments both in games, in seasons and between years. It's why he could win with Riggins and the Posse. Last year Gibbs didn't give up. He simply broke things down to their most elemental level. He demanded the players do SOMETHING well and repeat it, before putting more back in. He did this after constant mistakes were found to be killing us.

So, he put the offense into the basic elements and built from there. One reason most of us were so encouraged with the second Eagles game in particular is because as unimaginative as that offense was in the game, there was a toughness and sense of purpose we haven't seen from the Redskins in a very long time.

Gibbs also showed great skill dealing with the players last year by convincing even the most unhappy to sit quiet through their displeasure instead of airing it. I don't put too much stock in people worrying about Gibbs' ability to deal with personalities.

No matter what he does as a coach, his ability as a human being will only improve.

Man, I'm tempted to take away half of Reid's wins cause he did it at a time when the whole NFC East was rebuilding and such. And to open it up even more, the whole NFC is pretty lame right now. So he had the ability to beat teams when they were at their worse.

Gibbs had to go through the NFC when it was in its HAYDAY. He was a part of that 15 year run of all NFC Super Bowl Champs. I wonder how many teams that Reid faced that actually went over .500 the last 4 years.

I won't knock Andy Reid, he is obviously a really good coach. But he has not even come close yet to the accomplishments Gibbs has had in Football.

I just think we are the media whipping boys right now and it seems that people are having fun taking pot shots at a "legend".

I like Andy Reid. He's made the Eagles look more like the Washington Redskins than the Washington Redskins have looked over the past 10 years. He's a solid coach. And I get the feeling he doesn't put up with a lot of nonsense.

But he's no tactician. The last 5 minutes of that Superbowl was some of the worst playoff coaching I've ever seen. Granted, he can't control all aspects of whats occuring on the field, but the near total sense of urgency displayed by him and his offense, and the clumsy beyond belief clock management in the waning minutes didn't reflect well on him.

I'm not sure Andy Reid ever wins a closely contested playoff game against a savvy counterpart.

Andy Reid is a great coach. Period. He has proven himself at being very adept at getting his players ready to play with attention to detail and good game-planning for several years.

However, when all the chips have been moved to the center of the table, Joe Gibbs has demonstrated a far superior ability at stepping up his game.

Legends don't let opportunities slip through their hands. Gibbs gets to a Super Bowl or NFC Championship game, he wins. Until Reid starts doing the same more consistently, there will always be a gap between himself and the best of the best.

I agree with you Art and I give credit to Reid for the run that Philly has had the last few years and the consistency his team brings year after year. However, to write Gibbs off is a mistake. Last year was his first year back from coaching. Give Gibbs a year to get going. A year to develop players and a year to implement his offensive system. A year to adjust his offense to fit his players. Let’s wait until the end of this upcoming season before we pass judgment. I have faith that Gibbs will adjust to the 2005 version of the NFL. The question one should also ask is if the Sins, Pukes and Gints all improve and start challenging Philly, how will Philly, and Reid, adjust? As another poster said, Philly has enjoyed a nice run with a NFC East and NFC division full of non-winners. What happens when teams in the NFC start winning?

Make no mistakes about it, Reid seems to be one of the best coaches in the NFL right now.

Make no mistakes about this either, he won't be remember much if he never wins a SB. And he won't be remembered like Gibbs if he doesn't win Three.

I believe andy reid is a very good coach and has had much success. But to say he is better than gibbs is out of the question. we all know gibbs had won 3 titles, and andy as a head coach has not won any, but he has won a superbowl with the packers.

Obviously it seems that we all have respect for Reid and what he has been able to do over the past few years.

But again as Blakman211 pointed out, Gibbs was winning when the NFC was dominant. I believe it was Denver who finally broke the streak of NFC wins in the SB and unfortunately it was the Raiders that won last in the AFC prior to that. Some would argue that the Bills was a dynasty of sorts based on the fact that they got there 4 times in a row.

If Reid somehow gets the Eagles to win a few SBs, then people will put him in the Tom Landry, Bill Parcells, Bill Walsh, Joe Gibbs, Bill Belichick, etc., group of coaches.

Until that time he will be a good coach much like Mooch, Cowher, Marv Levy, etc.....

IMO.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

Right now, in the salary cap era, Reid is better. He has proven it. But, I'm sure this thread will be full of talk of Superbowls from a decade ago.

Westy, Salary cap or not the Eagles havent been able to get it done. This is a fact.

Look at Gibbs as a first year HC and compare him to Reid his first year as HC. I am pretty sure that the Eagles were only 5-11 that year, and either 11-5 or 10-6 the second year.

Are you saying that a coach of Gibbs magnitude doesnt have the opportunity to experience the same type of turn around, or that he simply cant ?

Originally posted by Voice of Reason

When you consider legacy and past accomplishments, Gibbs is obviously the better coach. However, if I'm to choose Andy Reid or Joe Gibbs as the coach of my football team in 2005, I'll take Reid.

Thats Bull. If I had to choose between a team thats already developed and a team thats not, then of corse I'm going to choose the already developed team. Wait til Gibbs has had some time with the Redskins before you say how bad he is.

If I'm building a team, I want a coach that can adjust. Thats the thing that Gibbs excelled at. If Reid wants to change things, he does so by finding a new player. And hows Reid handling this thing about T.O. wanting more money? At least when Coles complained, Gibbs handled it so that now its over and done with, not lurking in the background serving as a distraction.

People act like Gibbs coached Lacrosse back in the 80's. Man, football is football.

Originally posted by blakman211

Thats Bull.

People act like Gibbs coached Lacrosse back in the 80's. Man, football is football.

I agree with you for maybe the first time on this board.

:cheers:

As an Owner (In Nascar) he was able to win and put the pieces together, as a coach he has shown that he can do the same. The thing that we should be looking forward to is that he refuses to fail and refuses to accept mediocrity.

EDIT: And Football is Football. Agreed.

"So, he put the offense into the basic elements and built from there. One reason most of us were so encouraged with the second Eagles game in particular is because as unimaginative as that offense was in the game, there was a toughness and sense of purpose we haven't seen from the Redskins in a very long time."

^^^ great point. and very true.

I think Reid is is a great coach though...

a better coach than Gibbs was last season...but that doesn't really say much.

When Reid has championships and is a Hall of Famer. Holler back.

Is it even fair to compare a coach that has been coaching for a while in this era of football against one that just got back to it with 1 year behind him? and base those years against Gibbs' one year back? really.

Lets make this more even...Gibbs' entire Career as a head NFL coach..vs Reid's.

Pretty easy call to make now huh^^^

Originally posted by Westbrook36

Right now, in the salary cap era, Reid is better. He has proven it. But, I'm sure this thread will be full of talk of Superbowls from a decade ago.

And why shouldn't it? Are Super Bowls not the actual final prize of the NFL? At least we can talk about a decade ago. You my friend can not talk about anytime ago.

Gibbs has only had one year in the salary cap era and it was with an inherited team. Take Gibbs first three years in the league against anyones. Best begining to a career ever. 8-8, SB, SB loss.

Whether Andy Reid is a better coach NOW than Gibbs is questionable. However, to compare Reid to Gibbs in terms of legacy or accomplishments, is not only a stretch, but it's also stupid.

Thank you for your objectivity. I won't dispute anything about your post, but rather applaud it for impartiality.

Archived