Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was Reagan the greatest American ever?

Ancalagon the Black

Originally posted by Henry

Reagan? What IS it with Reagan? I realize he an popular President and did some good, but I don't get this love affair some people have with the guy. This rush to name every other building, road or airport after the man and diefy him. I just don't see it.

There is a conscious effort by several conservative activist groups, in particular the one led by Grover Norquist, to "deify" Reagan. By doing so, they believe that they will cement his conservative views into the political fabric (kind of making him a "founding father") and the result will be that it will be more difficult to challenge conservative principles in the future.

I wish I had a link, but I read about it several years ago.

Almost exactly what Liberal Groups did after FDR.

Same principle applies. If you make his ideas more than just ideas, but rather, the fabric of our society; it becomes harder for those opposed to them to fight them.

FDRs social programs are ingrained in our society now. And even with as much power as the GOP has right now, they cant seem to get rid of them.

I remember reading the same thing Predicto and I thought the same thing about claiming Reagan as some type of deity. Just goes to show what the mind of a right wing conservative thinks about when they are sitting around contemplating how to mess with anyone not conservative.

I will reiterate that George Washington should be number one. I do like Ben Franklin, Abraham Lincoln and James Madison as honorable mentions.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Almost exactly what Liberal Groups did after FDR.

Same principle applies. If you make his ideas more than just ideas, but rather, the fabric of our society; it becomes harder for those opposed to them to fight them.

FDRs social programs are ingrained in our society now. And even with as much power as the GOP has right now, they cant seem to get rid of them.

Exactly. FDR was on our dimes pretty fast after he died.

I'm not sure that the deification of FDR was as calculated as the current efforts with Reagan, but the result is little different.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

I'm sure it'll draw flames but MLK probably shouldn't be top 5.

No, you'll get flamed for your usual blabber ghost ;)

In many ways, we can NEVER have a man like THomas Jefferson or George Washington again. Politics has become so divisive, and in a particular way, that even time really can't heal the rift. Reagan got some credit upon his death from some who probably surprised themselves. But he's never going to get the love from Democrats that they reserve for FDR or 'leftists' because he was so anti-leftist.

The reason time can't heal the rift is because of the BS rhetoric causing it. Why is the word "libral" bad? Because people say it is?

You do this all too often Ghost, and I will admit I do it sometimes, but I try not to. You stereotype all leftists and democrats as evil commie SOBs. It is in almost every one of your politically motivated posts, and it is rhetoric like you use, which is the reason this country is so devisive.

When you have people in the White House falsely claiming that democrats didn't support the war in Afghanistan, it leads to hatred. When you have posters who continue to equate democrats to leftists and commies it creates hatred, when you have an administration which will do whatever it can to maintian power, and face absolutely no recourse for calling out people as traitors, it draws devisiveness. When you have the otherside comparing a concentration camp to Gitmo, you get devisiveness. It comes from both sides, and this crap has got to stop.

As for Reagan, the greatest American ever???? Sorry, but not even close. Lets not forget the scandals that he was either a part of, or allowed to happen under his watch. The first was Iran-Contra and the second was the Savings and Loan fiasco. He was also senile in his second term, and he was not all there mentally. This isn't even mentioning the fact that he took an ally approach to Iraq giving Hussen missles and technology. He is one of the main reasons Iraq was in such a mess.

Now, was he a good president, yes he was. I still like Dubya's dad better, at least he had the kahonies to do what was necessary, something Reagan never did, and neither did Clinton for that matter.

For my vote, I would put the best American on this list.

1. Franklin

2. Jefferson

3. Washington

4. MLK

5. Edison

Chom, hindsight is a *****. I doubt if Regan knew that Iraq was going to turn into such a mess he'd have done that.

Anyway, the founding fathers and MLK would make my top 5, although it's hard to say which founding father would come before another. Nobody in the past 20 years that I could think of that would deserve it.

"When you have people in the White House falsely claiming that democrats didn't support the war in Afghanistan, it leads to hatred."

It's easy to hate when set up a straw man like that.

Rove didnt claim Democrats didnt support the war.

George Washington could have been king, but he chose otherwise. that would put him at the top of my list. But at least it wasn't someone like Dr. Phil, who I understand was in the top 100. And, I didn't vote so I can't complain

Originally posted by joe

George Washington could have been king, but he chose otherwise. that would put him at the top of my list. But at least it wasn't someone like Dr. Phil, who I understand was in the top 100. And, I didn't vote so I can't complain

Whoa, Dr. Phil made the list? Who'd take diet advice from that fatass?

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff

Whoa, Dr. Phil made the list? Who'd take diet advice from that fatass?

Here's the actual list. It's the "100 Greatest Americans". Half of the names on here are a disgrace.

Abraham Lincoln

Albert Einstein

Alexander Graham Bell

Alexander Hamilton

Amelia Earhart

Andrew Carnegie

Arnold Schwarzenegger

Audie Murphy

Babe Ruth

Barack Obama

Barbara Bush

Benjamin Franklin

Bill Clinton

Bill Cosby (William Henry Cosby, Jr.)

Bill Gates

Billy Graham

Bob Hope

Brett Favre

Carl Sagan

Cesar Chavez

Charles Lindbergh

Christopher Reeve

Chuck Yeager

Clint Eastwood

Colin Powell

Condoleezza Rice

Donald Trump

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Eleanor Roosevelt (Anna Eleanor Roosevelt)

Ellen DeGeneres

Elvis Presley

Frank Sinatra

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Frederick Douglass

George H. W. Bush

George W. Bush

George Lucas

George Patton

George Washington

George Washington Carver

Harriet Ross Tubman

Harry Truman

Helen Keller

Henry Ford

Hillary Rodham Clinton

Howard Hughes

Hugh Hefner

Jackie Robinson (Jack Roosevelt Robinson)

Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis

Jesse Owens

Jimmy Carter

Jimmy Stewart

John Edwards

John Glenn

John F. Kennedy

John Wayne

Johnny Carson (John William Carson)

Jonas Edward Salk

Joseph Smith Jr.

Katharine Hepburn

Lance Armstrong

Laura Bush

Lucille Ball

Lyndon B. Johnson

Madonna (Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone)

Malcolm X (Malcolm Little)

Marilyn Monroe

Mark Twain (Samuel Langhorne Clemens)

Martha Stewart

Martin Luther King Jr.

Maya Angelou

Mel Gibson

Michael Jackson

Michael Jordan

Michael Moore

Muhammad Ali (Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr.)

Neil Alden Armstrong

Nikola Tesla

Oprah Winfrey

Pat Tillman

Dr. Phil McGraw

Ray Charles

Richard Nixon

Robert Kennedy

Ronald Reagan

Rosa Parks

Rudolph W. Giuliani

Rush Limbaugh

Sam Walton

Steve Jobs

Steven Spielberg

Susan B. Anthony

Theodore Roosevelt

Thomas Edison

Thomas Jefferson

Tiger Woods

Tom Cruise

Tom Hanks

Walt Disney

Wrights Brothers (Orville & Wilbur Wright)

Seriously that list is unbelievable.

Time to start stockpiling water and canned goods because the end of days is coming.

Donald Trump

Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis

John Edwards

Madonna

Michael Jackson

Michael Jordan

Dr. Phil McGraw

Sam Walton

Tom Cruise

Did they pull names out of a hat?

Archived