Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NG: Why is America running out of water?

China

Why is America running out of water?

In March 2019, storm clouds rolled across Oklahoma; rain swept down the gutters of New York; hail pummeled northern Florida; floodwaters forced evacuations in Missouri; and a blizzard brought travel to a stop in South Dakota. Across much of America, it can be easy to assume that we have more than enough water. But that same a month, as storms battered the country, a government-backed report issued a stark warning: America is running out of water.

Within as little as 50 years, many regions of the United States could see their freshwater supply reduced by as much as a third, warn scientists. Of all the freshwater basins that channel rain and snow into the rivers from which we draw the water we rely on for everything from drinking and cooking to washing and cleaning, nearly half may be unable to meet consumers’ monthly demands by 2071. This will mean serious water shortages for Americans.

Shortages won’t affect only the regions we’d expect to be dry: with as many as 96 out of 204 basins in trouble, water shortages would impact most of the U.S., including the central and southern Great Plains, the Southwest, and central Rocky Mountain states, as well as parts of California, the South, and the Midwest. And if 50 years seems like a long way off, the reality is much sooner: shortages could occur in 83 basins as early as 2021. With 40 out of 50 states expecting water shortages, it’s time to start thinking about where our water is going.

Click on the link for the full article

Klamath water crisis ‘couldn’t be worse’ on Oregon-California border

The water crisis along the California-Oregon border went from dire to catastrophic this week as federal regulators shut off irrigation water to farmers from a critical reservoir and said they would not send extra water to dying salmon downstream or to a half-dozen wildlife refuges that harbor millions of migrating birds each year.

In what is shaping up to be the worst water crisis in generations, the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation said it will not release water this season into the main canal that feeds the bulk of the massive Klamath Reclamation Project, marking a first for the 114-year-old irrigation system. The agency announced last month that hundreds of irrigators would get dramatically less water than usual, but a worsening drought picture means water will be completely shut off instead.

• Sad 2

US West Prepares for Possible First Water Shortage Declaration

The manmade lakes that store water supplying millions of people in the U.S. West and Mexico are projected to shrink to historic lows in the coming months, dropping to levels that could trigger the federal government's first official shortage declaration and prompt cuts in Arizona and Nevada.

The U.S. Bureau of Reclamation released 24-month projections this week forecasting that less Colorado River water will cascade down from the Rocky Mountains through Lake Powell and Lake Mead and into the arid deserts of the U.S. Southwest and the Gulf of California. Water levels in the two lakes are expected to plummet low enough for the agency to declare an official shortage for the first time, threatening the supply of Colorado River water that growing cities and farms rely on.

It comes as climate change means less snowpack flows into the river and its tributaries, and hotter temperatures parch soil and cause more river water to evaporate as it streams through the drought-plagued American West.

The agency's models project Lake Mead will fall below 1,075 feet (328 meters) for the first time in June 2021. That's the level that prompts a shortage declaration under agreements negotiated by seven states that rely on Colorado River water: Arizona, California, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Stunning new photos reveal depths of 'historic' California drought

A heat wave is currently baking a parched Northern California, worsening the extreme drought that Gov. Gavin Newsom has already described as "historic."

Once-wet lake beds have turned to dust, the snowpack in the Sierra is nonexistent and water shortages are already hitting home. And fears are growing for a potentially devastating wildfire season after 4.1 million acres of California were ravaged by flames in 2020. 

In Fresno and Merced counties, farmers are making tough decisions, abandoning thousands of acres of lower-value, high-water crops like almond and asparagus fields, for more valuable produce.

"It's a really sad day," Fresno County's Joe Del Bosque told the Bay Area News Group, after destroying 100 acres of organic asparagus to divert precious water to more valuable melons. "The water is so uncertain this year. We didn't think we'd have enough to carry it through."

Elsewhere, Lake Tahoe's waters are so low some boats can no longer launch, while Lake Oroville's water level dropped down to 695 feet in January, its second-lowest point in recorded history.

Newsom has declared a drought emergency in 41 of California's 58 counties. More than 37 million Californians live in these drought areas, according to the U.S. drought monitor.

ratio3x2_1200.jpg

In an aerial view, houseboats are dwarfed by the steep banks of Lake Oroville on April 27. 

ratio3x2_1200.jpg

A truck drives on the Enterprise Bridge over a section of Lake Oroville on April 27.

ratio3x2_1200.jpg

In an aerial view, rows of almond trees sit on the ground during an orchard removal project on May 27, 2021 in Snelling. 

ratio3x2_1200.jpg

Dry, cracked earth is visible as water levels are low at Nicasio Reservoir on May 28.

It's a major problem that no one is aware of.  Water is a precious nutrient and commodity.  Once humanity runs out of water we will die - which is bound to happen at some point, whether it be 100 years from now or 10,000 years from now.  Eventually we will have to start desalinating ocean water - which occurs in other parts of the world already such as the Middle East.  From what I have heard, however, that is very bad for the environment for numerous reasons, mostly being that the process is incredibly energy intensive and increases greenhouse gas emissions.  The desalination plants also produce salty water waste and toxic chemicals.  It is also incredibly expensive.  Basically we are screwed 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

Good thing I save my pee in jugs. All of you losers have been flushing that liquid gold down the potty, soon I will have the piss market cornered! 

Bear Grylls approved.

1b5ocr.jpg

• Haha 2

Drought ravages California's reservoirs ahead of hot summer

Each year Lake Oroville helps water a quarter of the nation’s crops, sustain endangered salmon beneath its massive earthen dam and anchor the tourism economy of a Northern California county that must rebuild seemingly every year after unrelenting wildfires.

But now the mighty lake — a linchpin in a system of aqueducts and reservoirs in the arid U.S. West that makes California possible — is shrinking with surprising speed amid a severe drought, with state officials predicting it will reach a record low later this summer.

While droughts are common in California, this year’s is much hotter and drier than others, evaporating water more quickly from the reservoirs and the sparse Sierra Nevada snowpack that feeds them. The state’s more than 1,500 reservoirs are 50% lower than they should be this time of year, according to Jay Lund, co-director of the Center for Watershed Sciences at the University of California-Davis.

Over Memorial Day weekend, dozens of houseboats sat on cinderblocks at Lake Oroville because there wasn’t enough water to hold them. Blackened trees lined the reservoir’s steep, parched banks.

But the impacts of dwindling reservoirs go beyond luxury yachts and weekend anglers. Salmon need cold water from the bottom of the reservoirs to spawn. The San Francisco Bay needs fresh water from the reservoirs to keep out the salt water that harms freshwater fish. Farmers need the water to irrigate their crops. Businesses need reservoirs full so people will come play in them and spend money.

And everyone needs the water to run hydroelectric power plants that supply much of the state’s energy.

If Lake Oroville falls below 640 feet (195 meters) — which it could do by late August — state officials would shut down a major power plant for just the second time ever because of low water levels, straining the electrical grid during the peak demand of the hottest part of the summer.

On 6/2/2021 at 5:03 AM, abdcskins said:

It's a major problem that no one is aware of.  Water is a precious nutrient and commodity.  Once humanity runs out of water we will die - which is bound to happen at some point, whether it be 100 years from now or 10,000 years from now.  Eventually we will have to start desalinating ocean water - which occurs in other parts of the world already such as the Middle East.  From what I have heard, however, that is very bad for the environment for numerous reasons, mostly being that the process is incredibly energy intensive and increases greenhouse gas emissions.  The desalination plants also produce salty water waste and toxic chemicals.  It is also incredibly expensive.  Basically we are screwed 

What you're saying is the anti-vaxxer movement has some merit.

• Haha 2

So...my question is how does this compare to the drought California had about 4 or 5 years ago?

Have they started to remind everyone that southern California is arid and that watering grass is not allowed? 

Or am I the only one that remembers this? You have all of those rich Hollywood/ ultra wealthy people growing grass in an area that really doesn't have the water for grass...plus you have very water intensive crops in an area that is not known for it.

From what I remember southern California grows lots of water intensive crops and is not a water intensive area...

If I'm remembering this wrong at all please correct me. I just remember going to San Diego and the restaurants wouldn't even serve water due to the drought. 

1 hour ago, Xameil said:

So...my question is how does this compare to the drought California had about 4 or 5 years ago?

Have they started to remind everyone that southern California is arid and that watering grass is not allowed? 

Or am I the only one that remembers this? You have all of those rich Hollywood/ ultra wealthy people growing grass in an area that really doesn't have the water for grass...plus you have very water intensive crops in an area that is not known for it.

From what I remember southern California grows lots of water intensive crops and is not a water intensive area...

If I'm remembering this wrong at all please correct me. I just remember going to San Diego and the restaurants wouldn't even serve water due to the drought. 

You are correct, such a massive amount of water is spent watering lawns in Socal.  I live here and I see sprinklers on all the time, sometimes in the middle of the day which infuriates me.  If you are going to waste water at least do it early morning or late evening where the water won't evaporate instantly.  Grass is not meant to grow in Southern California, period.  The city had a rebate type program where if you put in gravel or wood chips or something you got some money, but you have to provide tons of info and paperwork and it isn't worth the hassle imo, at least for me.  I put in a bunch of drought tolerant plants and landscape.  Then you have people hosing down their cars every single day in their driveway, I don't get it really.  I go months without washing my car.  It's just a damn car.  

Then you have the problem of farmers in the Central Valley using tons of water growing crops.  Engineers need to figure out a more efficient and less wasteful irrigation system, or farmers need to grow crops that don't require so much water.  I mean I love pistachios, but do we really need them?  It takes some sacrifices to sustain this planet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, China said:

One month later and the drought in northern California (near San Fran) is visibly worse per the map (compare to above):

20210601_usdm.jpg

So, I ask, is the drought in NoCal due to demand in SoCal?

I am honestly curious because I heard that from one of the customes I deal with out there.

3 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Drought has to do with normal rainfall vs observed rainfall so it has nothing to do with demand. 

Here is a graphic for 2021 Jan to march observed vs Normal

https://ggweather.com/seasonal_rain.htm

Fair enough...

But...even in a drought you don't need to run out of water....like the title says...

Drought? Stop wasting water...

In SoCal? Don't grow grass...don't grow crops that are water intensive...don't wash your car....

Better?

1 minute ago, Xameil said:

Fair enough...

But...even in a drought you don't need to run out of water....like the title says...

Drought? Stop wasting water...

In SoCal? Don't grow grass...don't grow crops that are water intensive...don't wash your car....

Better?

If you go up to the post with all the pictures you can see that they're already cutting back on crops.  One of those pictures is almond trees that are being destroyed and not farmed because of the water shortage.  The article also mentions farmers abandoning asparagus due to the water shortage as well.  Don't be surprised when the prices of some of these crops grown in California goes up because there is less of it being produced.

4 minutes ago, China said:

If you go up to the post with all the pictures you can see that they're already cutting back on crops.  One of those pictures is almond trees that are being destroyed and not farmed because of the water shortage.  The article also mentions farmers abandoning asparagus due to the water shortage as well.  Don't be surprised when the prices of some of these crops grown in California goes up because there is less of it being produced.

Ah ok. Yeah I did mention that in some of my posts to correct me if I was wrong.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Honestly I have no problem if price goes up on certain crops because the alternative is MUCH worse.

Apparently people are already reduced to thoughts and prayers.  

Utah governor asks residents to join him in 'weekend of prayer' for rain

Utah Gov. Spencer Cox (R) is asking residents to join him in a "weekend of prayer" for rain amid a statewide drought emergency.

“By praying collaboratively and collectively, asking God or whatever higher power you believe in for more rain, we may be able to escape the deadliest aspects of the continuing drought,” Cox said in a video on Friday.

The governor said the current lack of water has the potential to damage crops, hurt wildlife and cause deadly wildfires.

“I’ve already asked all Utahns to conserve water by avoiding long showers, fixing leaky faucets, and planting water-wise landscapes. But I fear those efforts alone won’t be enough to protect us,” Cox said in a press release.

• Sad 1

Hoover Dam, a symbol of the modern West, faces an epic water shortage

Hoover Dam towers more than 700 feet above Black Canyon on the Arizona-Nevada state line, holding back the waters of the Colorado River. On top of the dam, where visitors peer down the graceful white arc of its face, one of its art deco-style towers is adorned with a work of art that memorializes the purposes of the dam.

In five relief sculptures by Oskar Hansen, muscular men grip a boat’s wheel, harvest an armful of wheat, stand beside cascading water and lift a heavy weight overhead. Words encapsulate why the dam was built, as laid out in a 1928 law: FLOOD CONTROL, NAVIGATION, IRRIGATION, WATER STORAGE and POWER.

Eighty-six years after its completion in 1935, the infrastructure at Hoover Dam continues doing what it was designed to do: holding water and sending it coursing through intake tunnels, spinning turbines and generating electricity. The rules for managing the river and dividing up its water – which were laid down nearly a century ago in the 1922 Colorado River Compact and repeatedly tweaked – face the greatest strains since the dam was built. 

The effects of years of severe drought and temperatures pushed higher by climate change are striking along Lake Mead’s retreating shorelines near Las Vegas, where the growing “bathtub ring” of whitish minerals coats the rocky desert slopes.

Since 2000, the water level in Lake Mead, which is the reservoir formed by Hoover Dam and holds the title of the largest reservoir in the country, has dropped about 140 feet. It is just 37% full, headed for a first-ever official shortage and sinking toward its lowest levels since it was filled. 

f04cd40c-cbef-4609-b6c7-ee0dad1b358a-cen

Edited by China

On 6/6/2021 at 1:05 PM, China said:

Apparently people are already reduced to thoughts and prayers.  

Utah governor asks residents to join him in 'weekend of prayer' for rain

Utah Gov. Spencer Cox (R) is asking residents to join him in a "weekend of prayer" for rain amid a statewide drought emergency.

“By praying collaboratively and collectively, asking God or whatever higher power you believe in for more rain, we may be able to escape the deadliest aspects of the continuing drought,” Cox said in a video on Friday.

The governor said the current lack of water has the potential to damage crops, hurt wildlife and cause deadly wildfires.

“I’ve already asked all Utahns to conserve water by avoiding long showers, fixing leaky faucets, and planting water-wise landscapes. But I fear those efforts alone won’t be enough to protect us,” Cox said in a press release.

Wait until the rain dancing starts...