Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS: Deadly school bus stop crashes highlight "huge problem" with distracted driving

China

5 hours ago, RansomthePasserby said:

Some responsibility does fall on bus drivers here too. You don’t just throw on the lights in the morning rush hour and assume people are going to see it and stop. Especially early in the morning when people haven’t fully woken up yet. They should instruct bus drivers to tell kids to wait until traffic has actually stopped before they cross onto the road.

The lights and stop sign aren’t a magical force field that protects kids from 3 tons moving at 45 MPH. 

No. The bus is required to turn on lights (yellow as it slows down, and red when stopped). It is the responsibility of drivers to see the lights and stop. It isn’t ****ing hard. People are just too damn important to follow the rules. 

The responsibility is on the city/county to not have kids cross roads to board a bus. The bus routes should be such that the bus is on the same side as the stop. No kid should ever cross a street at the bus stop (wait for the bus to stop, then cross in front of the bus to board). 

1 minute ago, Popeman38 said:

No. The bus is required to turn on lights (yellow as it slows down, and red when stopped). It is the responsibility of drivers to see the lights and stop. It isn’t ****ing hard. People are just too damn important to follow the rules. 

The responsibility is on the city/county to not have kids cross roads to board a bus. The bus routes should be such that the bus is on the same side as the stop. No kid should ever cross a street at the bus stop (wait for the bus to stop, then cross in front of the bus to board). 

I completely agree, it is absolutely the responsibility of people driving their cars to stop when a school bus has its lights on. That’s the law. What I’m saying is even though that’s the law, you can’t expect people to obey it. Roads are probably the most dangerous “every day” thing we interact with, it’s not safe to tell kids to step out onto a road with moving traffic.

School districts can plan stops better, kids can do things to lessen the chance of accidents, but the responsibility falls on the dumbass drivers who can't obey a simple, unequivocal traffic law.  (Btw, probably not the best idea in the world to get behind the wheel if you aren't fully awake).

I'm sure shooting victims may have had a better chance at survival if they wore a bullet proof vest.  I'm still gonna blame the ****er who pulled the trigger.

47 minutes ago, bearrock said:

School districts can plan stops better, kids can do things to lessen the chance of accidents, but the responsibility falls on the dumbass drivers who can't obey a simple, unequivocal traffic law.  (Btw, probably not the best idea in the world to get behind the wheel if you aren't fully awake).

I'm sure shooting victims may have had a better chance at survival if they wore a bullet proof vest.  I'm still gonna blame the ****er who pulled the trigger.

Absolutely, the blame falls on the people who aren’t obeying the law, but once we’ve assigned blame it’s already too late. I work as a traffic engineer, sometimes we have to go out on the road for inspections or field observation. No matter how much planning we do and how many laws, flashing lights, signs, cones, reflective vests and helmets, etc., we put out there, we still have to respect the fact that tired, distracted, fallible humans are operating 3,000 lb machines at high speed. There’s a certain amount of responsibility that falls on people working near roads, including school bus drivers, that goes beyond “well, the law says they can’t run over me.”

I guess I’m coming at it from a “how do we not die in the first place” not “who do we blame after we’re dead” perspective. 

It’s not the best idea to get behind the wheel before you’re fully awake, but people do it on a daily basis because they have to go to work in the morning. 

4 hours ago, c slag said:

The auto manufacturers could install one of those machines that you have to breathe into to get your car to run as standard equipment like a seat belt

They could probably make something as well that would not let the car run until the phone is turned off 

Of course people would find a way around it like sitting on top of the buckled seat belt for example 

To things, if we're serious about putting breathaliyzers in every car, we really need to look no further then what we are already doing in regards to circumventing that.  I've known people to have them, its not nearly as simple as it sounds.  

https://www.intoxalock.com/ignition-interlock-devices/faq/

There's also no way for a car to know what a phone is doing unless directly connected to it in someway, typically via bluetooth.  There's no way in God's green earth I'm going to step in a car that can just figure out all the cell phones in the car, figure out who's driving, and automatically connect and disable functionality.  We're basically talking about a brute forced bluetooth pairing, hacking the phone, just to see what you are doing with it, a direct privacy violation of the highest order.  

Focus needs to be on the driver instead of trying to figure out who the driver is.  I like the idea of an app that can sense bluetooth pairing with a phone and automatically disable non-driving essential apps and send auto-replies to multiple messaging apps that someone is driving.  IT could start as an app and then eventually be a feature like airplane mode.

7 hours ago, twa said:

would making it so kids don't need to cross the street help?

Asking people to pay a-f'n'tention is more realistic then teleportation right now.  Kids have to cross the street in most cases.

On separate note, I'm not buying the too tired to drive discussion at all.  The 9-5 thing has been a workforce tradition in this country for a while now, the distracted driving deaths having been going up with correlation of these technologies that can distract us while driving.  The stop signs on the school buses typically stick out the side and are flashing when picking up kids, ignoring it has nothing to do with being tired, nothing, its just being an asshole.

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Asking people to pay a-f'n'tention is more realistic then teleportation right now.  Kids have to cross the street in most cases.

Last I looked buses have wheels.:)

Perhaps adding a entrance on the left and the bus moving over if adjusting routes is too difficult.

9 minutes ago, twa said:

Last I looked buses have wheels.:)

Perhaps adding a entrance on the left and the bus moving over if adjusting routes is too difficult.

Ok, you lost me.  You talking about kids at a bus stop having to cross the street to get on the bus because the bus is on other side of the street?  I have never seen a school bus make kids do that, if it has to go through an entire culdesac to simulate a u turn and get on right side of the street it will, school bus stops are even planned for which side to stand on to help with this.

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Ok, you lost me.  You talking about kids at a bus stop having to cross the street to get on the bus because the bus is on other side of the street?  I have never seen a school bus make kids do that, if it has to go through an entire culdesac to simulate a u turn and get on right side of the street it will, school bus stops are even planned for which side to stand on to help with this.

I don't think we live too far apart and I see them cross the street all the time.

21 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I've never seen it in person, but apparently fairly common.  While not absolving the reckless driver, it is piss poor planning by the school district.

17 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I don't think we live too far apart and I see them cross the street all the time.

3 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I've never seen it in person, but apparently fairly common.  While not absolving the reckless driver, it is piss poor planning by the school district.

That is annoyingly too easiably fixable.

Buzz I'm back in NOVA now, but in Portsmouth especially never did that from I could tell, especially for elementary school.  

I can believe every school system being different, but I never went through that growing up in NOVA.

22 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Buzz I'm back in NOVA now, but in Portsmouth especially never did that from I could tell, especially for elementary school

I see it on the side roads, not necessarily neighborhoods, a lot.  Dont know what school level they are.

PS, I cant believe you left town and didnt tell me.  I thought we were bro's.

57 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

they certainly do here, of course half of them stand and walk in the street, despite the nice sidewalks I pay for.

37 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

PS, I cant believe you left town and didnt tell me.  I thought we were bro's.

We are, we have talked about it, but I shoulda pm'd you.  I actually spend more time with friends in area now coming down then I did living there because I was working and studying so much, that's huge reason I had to go, I was rushing.

30 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

We are, we have talked about it, but I shoulda pm'd you.  I actually spend more time with friends in area now coming down then I did living there because I was working and studying so much, that's huge reason I had to go, I was rushing.

No worries.  We get along here but I wouldn't consider us at the "bro's" level that you tell me when you are moving.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't mind meeting up one day.  You're one of the posters here I respect more.  We often disagree but at least listen to each other.  I was just ribbing you.  Hope that isn't harsh.

On 11/3/2018 at 6:48 PM, Renegade7 said:

That's what the story cited is talking about. The bus stops, the kids had to cross a lane of traffic in front of the bus, and then board the bus. It happens all the time, especially in the more rural areas just outside suburbia. From the original post:

The string of deadly incidents began on Tuesday, when a 9-year-old girl and her twin 6-year-old brothers were struck and killed by a pickup truck while crossing the street to board their school bus in Rochester, Indiana. Another child who was injured had to be airlifted to a hospital. The pickup truck driver has been charged with three counts of reckless homicide.

A day later, a 9-year-old boy in Baldwyn, Mississippi, was struck and killed while crossing the street to board a school bus.

The problem is the kids have to cross a lane of traffic.  Cars behind the bus aren't as big an issue because they just hit the bus (not saying that isn't bad, but kids don't normally die from this).

My wife drives a bus, and once they stop and put the lights on and the stop sign out, they have zero control over what happens outside the bus. And most buses have a dash cam that looks both in and out mounted towards the top of the windshield. See the video of the moron driving into a flood: 

• 3 months later...

Video shows driver apparently use sidewalk to pass school bus: report

A motorist in Brooklyn, New York, drove onto a sidewalk this week to apparently get around parked school buses and came within inches of school children being dropped off, according to a video obtained by a former New York State assemblyman.

Dov Hikand released the video Wednesday and called for authorities to look into the incident.

Click on the link for the full article

City streets don't have a lot of room. City blocks don't have a lot of parking space.
If you live there, you know this. You either should avoid these streets or sit tight and wait. (looks to me like a NY license plate,, pretty good bet he's aware of city driving.)

This guy needs to be hauled out of that car and flogged, and that teacher needs to have a few fingers shaken at him, too. 

Dude. step  over and try to stop the car from pushing the little boy. Smack his hood, something.

~Bang

Poor planning on the driver's part. A dozen other routes they could take, easily. 

that person needs their head kicked. Unfortunately i only see it as the further depth to which we travel in which we hate each other more and more every day, fear each other more and more every day, and have less concern for anything other than the self more and more every day.

~Bang

Archived