Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Flex Scheduling and Playoff Tracker Thread

kleese

On 10/22/2018 at 9:20 PM, kleese said:

—Our week 16 game vs Titans is one of 4 designated as a possible Saturday game that week. It’s our game, Giants/Colts, Ravens/Chargers, and Dolphins/Jaguars. Two of those games will be Sat and two will be Sunday. It won’t necessarily be the two best games as it’s possible the NFL could “save” one for a better spot on the Sunday schedule. The league will decide this by week 8 or 9 I believe.

I read your post initially and was still like "Naaah, we won't get flexed to a Saturday game".  Welp, I was wrong.

14 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yeah I’m sure the league will take that into affect :D it’s one home night game, if we still have a good record by then, you can definitely afford to let your daughter go to a night game on a school night :P 

just messin with ya though, i didn’t go to most night games on a school night back when i had tickets. Hoping for your sake it stays a 1 pm start :) 

I want to take her because she is 16 and has never been to an NFL game before 

However she enjoyed the Capitals game but that however is inside a climate controlled arena 

As far as the playoff race goes for this week I suppose it all depends on your perspective and your goal:

If you think the Redskins can win 12+ games and truly challenge for the 1-2 seed in the NFC then the Rams and Saints winning is a bummer. If you are thinking the Redskins are more in that 9-11 win range then seeing the Packers and Vikings lose is a good thing. Obviously we want to focus on the division, but there is no shame in at least keeping tabs on the wild card. 

As far as possible FLEX goes for the Texans game; things got a little more murky today. Jags lost and they don't look good. They also aren't much a draw. At 3-5 (they don't play again until decision has to be made) they appear to be an unattractive host for SNF. Maybe the Steelers are strong enough to carry that match up and the NFL keeps it where it is, but I am thinking it's becoming more and more possible that game gets flexed. And it it does, Texans/Redskins would be on the radar... as a matter of fact, if both teams win this upcoming week, I'd actually predict we'd get the nod if a flex was made. I still think it's unlikely, but something to eyeball at least.  

17 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

This move is awesome, it’s the one game I’m definitely going to with my sons. Saturday flex is perfect!

The tailgater in me says, "yeah!!!" 

The fan in me says, " ****! Another short week for the Skins" 

In the last 6 games, of the season, 3 of them are short weeks.

Dallass

VaGiants

Titans

Not cool...

53 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

The tailgater in me says, "yeah!!!" 

The fan in me says, " ****! Another short week for the Skins" 

In the last 6 games, of the season, 3 of them are short weeks.

Dallass

VaGiants

Titans

Not cool...

flip side is there's an extra day on the other side of it. either way, I'm excited to scratch another stadium off the list and hopefully watch some seriously meaningful football in December!

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

flip side is there's an extra day on the other side of it. either way, I'm excited to scratch another stadium off the list and hopefully watch some seriously meaningful football in December!

For two of the games yes (11 day break between Dallas game and eagles MNF game, and then 8 days between the game against the titans and the game against Philly week 17). The time between the giants game and the jaguars game is the same as a normal practice week.

Skins want to make the playoffs, then just keep winning. 10-6 seems very realistic. 

The one division that seems most likely to have 2 playoff teams is the South.  New Orleans and Carolina.

It is possible that second wild card team can be had with a 9-7 record.  I see Seattle, 2 of the 3 North teams that don't win the division( Bears, Packers, Vikings), and possibility either Philly or Washington battling for that 2nd wild card spot.  The Eagles could get back into the race.  I just feeling the NFC East only is sending the division winner.

We will have a better picture in about 2-3 weeks.  If the Skins win 2 out of the next 3, then we are in a good position.  IF we lose, 2 out of the next 3; then we are letting things slip away.

Stay tuned.

I just realized something. We currently hold the 3rd seed in the nfc. If the rams beat the saints (2nd seed currently) and we find a way to beat the falcons, we could be in a fight for the 2nd seed the rest of the season and a 1st round bye week in the playoffs...so far the only other 5 win team is the panthers, and they play the Bucs this weekend. At some point i think we’d have to start hoping the panthers (and saints) lose a couple games. 

We do hold the tiebreaker against the panthers though. The saints, not so much 

35 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I just realized something. We currently hold the 3rd seed in the nfc. If the rams beat the saints (2nd seed currently) and we find a way to beat the falcons, we could be in a fight for the 2nd seed the rest of the season and a 1st round bye week in the playoffs...so far the only other 5 win team is the panthers, and they play the Bucs this weekend. At some point i think we’d have to start hoping the panthers (and saints) lose a couple games. 

We do hold the tiebreaker against the panthers though. The saints, not so much 

Yep, I'd say the odds of catching the Rams are slim, real slim. I think our best case is to finish 6-3 the rest of the way and end at 11-5. I think 5-4 and landing at 10-6 is more likely. So unless you think the Rams could potentially finish 3-5 down the stretch I'd say they probably aren't worth worrying about and they actually become a team we root for most weeks. Now, while the Saints own the tie-breaker with us, we own it with Carolina.... so let's just say Redskins, Panthers, and Saints all finish 11-5. If the Panthers win the tie-breaker with Saints, then they would be the division winner... Saints would be wild card, and we would be ahead of Panthers based on head to head. Obviously if we finish in a one-way tie with NOLA we lose the tie-breaker. For now, I'd say root against both the Saints and Panthers especially when they play other teams that don't figure to be in the wild card race. 

My prediction this year is that one wild card team in NFC will be 9-7. 

8 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Skins want to make the playoffs, then just keep winning. 10-6 seems very realistic. 

The one division that seems most likely to have 2 playoff teams is the South.  New Orleans and Carolina.

It is possible that second wild card team can be had with a 9-7 record.  I see Seattle, 2 of the 3 North teams that don't win the division( Bears, Packers, Vikings), and possibility either Philly or Washington battling for that 2nd wild card spot.  The Eagles could get back into the race.  I just feeling the NFC East only is sending the division winner.

We will have a better picture in about 2-3 weeks.  If the Skins win 2 out of the next 3, then we are in a good position.  IF we lose, 2 out of the next 3; then we are letting things slip away.

Stay tuned.

I think of it like this...

Split the next 4 (Falcons, Bucs, Texans, and Cowboys) and also split with Philly. That seems realistic and leaves us at 8-5 with Titans, Jags, and Giants left. 

What's really sad, we will have to pay attention to this post; to see who we need to win/lose.  Odds are strong, we won't be completely controlling our playoff destiny; if that's even in the cards this year. 5-3 to 5-7, seems like a possibility.  That's probably a better shot of that happening than us finishing 5-3 to go 10-6.  10-6 is a realistic goal but who believes that we actually can do that. 8-8/9-7 is probably the more realistic expectation for a Gruden coached team.

Ok so obviously cheer against Dallas tonight. As for next Sunday night eagles vs dallas? No matter if we win or lose against the Bucs, i think we’d have to want dallas to win. (i need to wash my mouth out with soap just typing those words!!!).  We’d have to think about which one of the two poses a bigger threat the rest of the season, and to me, that’s Philly. So any game they lose helps a lot. 

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Ok so obviously cheer against Dallas tonight. As for next Sunday night eagles vs dallas? No matter if we win or lose against the Bucs, i think we’d have to want dallas to win. (i need to wash my mouth out with soap just typing those words!!!).  We’d have to think about which one of the two poses a bigger threat the rest of the season, and to me, that’s Philly. So any game they lose helps a lot. 

Agree, and I actually don’t care if Dallas wins tonight either. I kind of want them to be undefeated at home when we go there on Thanksgiving... law of averages trends in our favor. Sort of like how I am

haopy we will catch the Texans on a six game win streak coming off their bye—- that’s a good set up for us. 

The bottom line for me is that the script is flipped. Three of the first eight were on the road, but five of the last eight will be. And none of the five away games will feature teams as bad at the Cardinals and the Giants were.

Next two games are fairly critical but I'm going to guess 9-7 at this point. And even though it'll obviously be nice if that last game means something, I don't relish our chances against Philly at either the Linc or FedEx, and down here will be Linc South.

Officially no schedule change for Redskins in two weeks. For those that don’t like night games you should be happy we lost.... Steelers/Jags did get flexed out and was replaced by Vikings/Bears... I think had we beaten the Falcons that our game with Texans very well may have ended up on SNF. And now Bears fan can cry like we did two years ago... a SNF game followed by Thanksgiving on the road... and in their case it’s the early game to boot. 

So now we know for sure that our next four games will be staying exactly where they are— and the odds of either the Giants or Jags games moving is very, very slim (it wouldn’t be to Sunday Night obviously just an outside chance of a start/network change to accommodate other possible moves. The final game of year against Eagles remains unknown and will all depend on significance. But between now and week 17 I think you can pretty much bank on our schedule remaining as is. 

Archived