Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2018 Flex Scheduling and Playoff Tracker Thread

kleese

For all the talk of how bad the East is, through 11 games two teams from the division would be in if they playoffs started today (Cowboys/Redskins). 

All NFC games have been played for the week and all teams have now played 11 games. With five remaining, both the division and wild card are very much on the table. And while the Eagles game is certainly very big, it is not a must win given the state of the playoff race. 

For now, let’s concede the South to NOLA, the West

to the Rams, and the North to the Bears (although that one is still in play and Bears aren’t out of wild card woods yet). Let’s also eliminate all teams that need to make up at least two

games on us. 

That leaves:

Vikings 6-4-1

Cowboys 6-5

Redskins 6-5

Seahawks 6-5

Panthers 6-5

Eagles 5-6

That is six teams fighting for three spots...one of the East teams will win division of course.

Of those teams, the Seahawks have the easiest schedule, although they do play the Vikings and Chiefs. Minnesota has a tough road... at New England, at Seattle, at Detroit, hosting the Bears. Carolina also has a pretty tough schedule with both games against the Saints still to come. 

For me when it comes to the Redskins my goal is simple: stay in it to a level where you control your destiny heading into week 17. The minimum requirement for that would be to go 2-2 over the next four with at least one win against the Eagles or Giants. If they do that, it is likely they will enter week 17 at 8-7 with a chance to play themselves in. That isn’t a lock, but it’s better than a 50% chance.

This week, we have some obvious rooting interests:

—Saints over Cowboys

—Patriots over Vikings

—Bucs over Panthers

—49ers over Seahawks

The first two on that list are clearly posisble if not likely. I also think Tampa (at home) will have a fighting chance against Carolina. I wouldn’t hold my breath rooting for SF to knock off the Seahawks in Seattle.

13 minutes ago, kleese said:

That leaves:

Vikings 6-4-1

Cowboys 6-5

Redskins 6-5

Seahawks 6-5

Panthers 6-5

Eagles 5-6

I know this sounds strange, but I would be rooting for the Seahawks. The Panthers have 2 games against the Saints. It's also possible that maybe the Falcons or Browns might beat them = 8-8. We want the Seahawks to beat the Vikings. After the Vikings lose against the Pats, their last game is against the Bears = 8-7-1 (we'd still have to win 3 though). But it's possible they might lose to the Dolphins = 7-8-1. Eagles have probably the toughest with the Cowboys, Rams, Texans = 7-9. I think we'll be alright at 8-8 depending on what happens with the Vikings. Would have been nice if the Packers came thru tonight.

I wrote this on the 'Around the NFL' board, but it applies here too:

If the season ended today, the Redskins would be a wild-card team.

The Redskins have a very good record against the NFC at 6-3, and are still tied for the division lead in the NFC East. The tie-breaker things don't matter till the end of the season.

The Redskins are actually in good shape, playoff-wise. Whether they stay in good shape is up to them.

:815:  :eagles_suck:

Massive win for Cowboys (props to them, that D is nasty). And obviously a massive “loss” for Redskins and Eagles. This changes things quite a bit because when playing with the variables I think most had the Saints game chalked up as a loss for Dallas. The Cowboys become the CLEAR favorite to win the East now and the game on MNF now has even more importance. 

My personal feeling as a fan is that a lot of the luster has been taken off our game now— I think Dallas won the division tonight. 

10 minutes ago, kleese said:

Massive win for Cowboys (props to them, that D is nasty). And obviously a massive “loss” for Redskins and Eagles. This changes things quite a bit because when playing with the variables I think most had the Saints game chalked up as a loss for Dallas. The Cowboys become the CLEAR favorite to win the East now and the game on MNF now has even more importance. 

My personal feeling as a fan is that a lot of the luster has been taken off our game now— I think Dallas won the division tonight. 

Yup. Redskins are crashing and burning before our eyes. This is worst case scenario especially with our injuries on offense.

15 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Soooo....go eagles for these next two games then 😂😂 

Yep, we should actually convince ourselves of that. Will make Monday Night much more enjoyable.... Fly Eagles Fly...

Also, this is why I need professional help... as the Cowboys ran out the clock I did think..”well at least now it’s likely the Saints will still have something to play for in their games against the Panthers...”

48 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

And here we are, again, trying to tease out a futile playing spot, again, after starting out really hot, again.

God I hate this team sometimes.

Yep, if 'X' and 'Y'  lose 2 games, and 4 other teams somehow lose 3 of their 4, and if lightning strikes the Pope then the Redskins are in.

These scenarios always come up, when all Gruden and the team had to do was take care of their own business; but noooo, they have to make it all dramatic; the Redskins games should be on during the week with Days of Our Lives and As The World Turns, because they are a soap opera team.

It was right in their hands for the taking, but poor play calling and poor execution, with some flat-footed wannabe LBers and an offense that quite frankly a squad of ESers could put up a gamely fight against doesn't equate into victory much less a shred of confidence.

1 minute ago, skins island connection said:

Yep, if 'X' and 'Y'  lose 2 games, and 4 other teams somehow lose 3 of their 4, and if lightning strikes the Pope then the Redskins are in.

These scenarios always come up, when all Gruden and the team had to do was take care of their own business; but noooo, they have to make it all dramatic; the Redskins games should be on during the week with Days of Our Lives and As The World Turns, because they are a soap opera team.

It was right in their hands for the taking, but poor play calling and poor execution, with some flat-footed wannabe LBers and an offense that quite frankly a squad of ESers could put up a gamely fight against doesn't equate into victory much less a shred of confidence.

Well in fairness we aren’t at that point yet. We might be headed there but we are not there yet. We still control our own destiny...if we win out we have about a 90% chance to win division and a 100% chance we’d be in playoffs. If we go 4-1 we have about a 95% to make playoffs. The difference now is that our division chances if we finish 3-2 are diminished. 

If wr split the next two and sit at 7-6 with three to go we will still be in control of our fate. We aren’t in the “if this and that” zone unless we lose to the Eagles AND Giants. 

At least the good news is with the Panthers faltering, both wild card spots are very much in play between, at least presently, the Skins, Eagles, Vikings, Panthers, and Seahawks. And its not like the Cowboys or Bears have clinched anything yet (Chicago is in very good position for at least a playoff spot, even if they are caught by the Vikes). 

Hopefully the Skins can go AT LEAST 9-7 and then let the chips fall where they may. But once we hit 8 losses, I'm pretty much done. If you can't win more games than you lose, you don't deserve the postseason....but that's just me. 

That game has me pretty much ignoring the division title now. We no longer have control over catching Dallas. We could win out and still be tied with them at 11-5/5-1. 

But...until Monday night at least...we control our own destiny to get into the playoffs. So, if we can steal a win in Philly and then beat the Giants at home, we will be in GREAT shape (8-5) to get the 5 or 6 seed. 

25 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

At least the good news is with the Panthers faltering, both wild card spots are very much in play between, at least presently, the Skins, Eagles, Vikings, Panthers, and Seahawks. And its not like the Cowboys or Bears have clinched anything yet (Chicago is in very good position for at least a playoff spot, even if they are caught by the Vikes). 

Hopefully the Skins can go AT LEAST 9-7 and then let the chips fall where they may. But once we hit 8 losses, I'm pretty much done. If you can't win more games than you lose, you don't deserve the postseason....but that's just me. 

9-7 should do it I think, everyone plays everyone

The one thing to look for (besides hoping we win at least 3 games) are the Vikings. We want them to lose as many as possible and we might get in by a half a game. The other WC is going to be the Seahawks. They have the easiest of all remaining games. They're going to have at least 9 wins. The Eagles have probably the toughest remaining games. Even if we're tied with the Panthers, we're in. The only team that I feel could knock us out are the Vikings. So, to me it really comes down to just 2 things... Redskins win at least 3 (of course win them all), and the Vikings lose at least 3. Of course anything can happen if the 10-1 Saints can lose to the Cowboys.

16 hours ago, hail2skins said:

8-8 teams have made the playoffs.  Hell, the Panthers and Seahawks won their divisions one year with a 7 win record.

Better enjoy this misery year because the next 2-3 years are going to be brutual.

On 11/26/2018 at 12:29 AM, kleese said:

For all the talk of how bad the East is, through 11 games two teams from the division would be in if they playoffs started today (Cowboys/Redskins). 

The worst thing this league or teams can do is think the NFC East is bad. They are not bad at all, they have been hurt, big difference. Bad teams can't play toe to toe with division leaders, as the Redskins did just that against a red hot Texans team, and did it missing 6 starters on offense. That's over half the offense! We are getting Chris Thompson back at the right time for sure, and he will make a huge difference on an offense that can already move the ball and score against very good defenses. If Manusky gets our defense in order, and play up to what they can and should, look out, this team will run the table.

31 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

The post I responded to made it seem like it was FAR more than once every 10 years.

There was at least two other seasons as well, but yeah thats true it doesn’t happen too often.

Didn’t the team go like 8-0 or 8-1 in 1999 or somewhere around then? Before going on a losing streak? 

Archived