Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

Whereas with David Edwards the initial comp would be ... more or less, Jon Runyan. For Jonah Williams it's close to Joe Thomas. Or I should say, size and movement skill wise it resembles Thomas. In similar exposition, Edwards has such a pronounced frame and length it would be hard not to mention that one thinks of Joe Jacoby when looking at him. 

Watching this live, probably have a worse view than TV.  I have been zoning in on a few guys. And got mega man crush on Mack Wilson. He anticipates well, wraps up well when he tackles, looks really fast for a guy who weighs 240. A rare Mike who can hit and cover.

Even before the INT, I was impressed with Thompson. The dude is all over the field. Fast and anticipates well. I recall almost no draft buzz about him, though.

21 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Jonah Williams is a legit offensive line talent, with great balanced and movement skills. He moves effortlessly.  

Yeah he's a very good runner.  He's not as twitchy as Dalton Risner but he looks a little bit bigger.  He's a truck when he gets to pull.  Reminds me of Lane Johnson as a runner.

The footwork on his kick step and slide is a little choppy and mechanical, such that his balance through the rep isn't as good as an elite player's at the position.  And his hand game definitely needs work.  He gets outfoxed by handsy defensive ends and they'll beat him with power counters and push pulls.  But he's a tenacious one who will stick to a guy even when he's beat and use his size to keep the QB from getting hit.

He plays the game with engagement and enthusiasm and he's a competitor.  High end size-speed athlete at the position.  I see a guy whose a little bit raw but has the competitive make up and the athleticism to be a high end left tackle.  Top ten talent IMO, but he might get pushed down a bit in the first round because of the depth of talent along the lines this year.  Looks like this is the year to get a lineman if you're picking in the first half of the first round.

Not overly impressed with what I've found of Max Scharping.  Looks stiff and he falls off way too many blocks.  He doesn't dominate his competition like a potential first round caliber lineman from a small conference should.  I think he's too tall and upright to translate naturally to guard too.  This guy looks like a mid round swing tackle whose going to take years of technical seasoning to be able to trust with a starting job.

Breer/MMQ

1. From an NFC college scouting director: “There’s an argument that two of the top five best running backs (for next year) are in the state of Oklahoma: Justice Hill (Oklahoma State) and Rodney Anderson (Oklahoma).”

2. It was no secret that Ohio State had three potential first-rounders starting on its defensive line (Nick Bosa, Chase Young, Dre’Mont Jones), but some within the program quietly have grown a belief that they could have one at quarterback too. Not sure if it’s time to go that far yet, but Dwayne Haskins was impressive Saturday.

3. From another scouting director: “Ole Miss has the best wide receiver group in college football.” A.J. Brown is seen as a first-round prospect, and had seven catches for 93 yards and a touchdown in the Rebels’ win over Texas Tech, but he was only one of four receivers with four or more catches.

4. By the looks of it, LSU’s assembly line of defensive backs is still churning, as that secondary keyed the Tigers’ handling of Miami. And Greedy Williams is more than just a really cool name.

5. Ed Oliver is a bad man.

6. Get ready, because we’re going to be talking a lot about Penn State’s Trace McSorley over the next few months. I’m not sure the Baker Mayfield comps carry much weight, but I know Trent Dilfer—who had him at the Elite 11 camp—was very impressed and said so in the draft QB story we did in July.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/03/khalil-mack-trade-aaron-donald-contract-monday-morning-quarterback

On 8/29/2018 at 7:29 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Another year drafting Bama for the front 7 in the first two rounds would not disappoint me at all.

I think we are good in the front 7 in all honesty. We are going to need a CB, Guard and Safety in no particular order. I was disgusted with the Apke pick. The guy wasnt any good at PSU either.

16 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He plays the game with engagement and enthusiasm and he's a competitor.  High end size-speed athlete at the position.  I see a guy whose a little bit raw but has the competitive make up and the athleticism to be a high end left tackle.  Top ten talent IMO, but he might get pushed down a bit in the first round because of the depth of talent along the lines this year.  Looks like this is the year to get a lineman if you're picking in the first half of the first round.

Do you believe Jonah Williams can play guard in the NFL?

Archived