Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per PFT: Scott Campbell Out as Senior Personnel Executive

OVCChairman

@SWFLSkins well, that is certainly looking at the bright side of it all, which I’ve mentioned myself, and ignoring some of the legitimate concerns one can have, but I’m not going to reiterate those. All I’ll say is I hope you’re right. :) 

And if Doug is an integral part of elevating someone like Kyle to GM or just giving the expert personnel guys final say in personnel? That’d be awesome and it’d remove much of those concerns.

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My fear about Doug when hired was that he would be the defacto personnel guy but my suspicion was that was unlikely to happen.  It seems like by all accounts, Doug isn't the defacto personnel guy so for me then he's in the right lane.   Great person.  Respected.  Integrity.   And if he keeps the morale up and facilitates a good vibe and pitches in some with the personnel to lending an extra helping hand -- then he's a good asset IMO.

The thing that I am confused about and this relates to Doug is I've heard now a couple of times the Redskins are understaffed scout wise compared to many teams.  I thought that was one of the things that was fixed and that was done by Doug?

Yup. It’s pretty simple for us. We just want an organizational structure where the best personnel people are hired and enabled. Whatever that title is, we want them having the ability to make the ultimate decision. That doesn’t negate it being a group effort which seems to be a common misinterpretation of our position. 

So long as Doug is a part of making that happen I’m happy. And, like you said, the concern back then was that he didn’t have much in the way of solid qualifications to be in charge of personnel... but it doesn’t seem like he’s really making those decisions versus just facilitating between those who do. That’s good. 

As for adding to the scouting staff, do people still say it? Last offseason they finally did which was a good thing (though the one concern was they all came from organizations not necessarily known for bringing in great talent). @SWFLSkins posted an article stating that was part of Doug’s plan, so if that’s the case that’s a major positive for Doug. 

I see SWFL quoted you with that part again, lol, so never mind. ;) 

SWFLSkins:

Thanks.  Yeah I am aware of that article.  That's why I mentioned that I thought Doug fixed it.  But its come up now a couple of times recently the scouting is still understaffed.  Unless I am missing something in that article it says that expanded staff but it doesn't do tit for tat with the league.

If i recall Califan did some research on it, that's why i asked him in my previous post. If I recall he pulled the numbers.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

SWFLSkins:

Thanks.  Yeah I am aware of that article.  That's why I mentioned that I thought Doug fixed it.  But its come up now a couple of times the scouting is still understaffed.  Unless I am missing something in that article it says that expanded staff but it doesn't do tit for tat with the league.

If i recall Califan did some research on it, that's why i asked him in my previous post. 

This is interesting if someone looks at it now. 

When I had done it a few years back, my research showed that we were definitely understaffed in terms of the actual scouts on the ground, but that we had way more executives. We were essentially “top heavy”. Too many Chiefs and no Indians. 

I was pleased they added scouts last offseason, but I don’t know what it did in terms of our average in comparison. Such a shame we even have to discuss this. Should never have been the case in the first place. A sports organization that is top 10 worldwide and top 3 in the NFL in terms of revenue generated, and they’re lagging behind in things that don’t have a cap? Absolutely shameful it’s taken this long for fixes to occur. 

6 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

This is interesting if someone looks at it now. 

When I had done it a few years back, my research showed that we were definitely understaffed in terms of the actual scouts on the ground, but that we had way more executives. We were essentially “top heavy”. Too many Chiefs and no Indians. 

I was pleased they added scouts last offseason, but I don’t know what it did in terms of our average in comparison. Such a shame we even have to discuss this. Should never have been the case in the first place. A sports organization that is top 10 worldwide and top 3 in the NFL in terms of revenue generated, and they’re lagging behind in things that don’t have a cap? Absolutely shameful it’s taken this long for fixes to occur. 

Yeah this is my 2nd button next to having a personnel guy running personnel.  Its ironic in a way because some of the strongest posts defending Bruce has centered on the draft.  The thing is I 100% agree the lifeblood of the team is the draft. But its not the only thing.  But specific to the draft -- I recall reading the Eagles are loaded with scouts or at least that's the perception with the MMQ guys who say they see a ton of Eagle scouts everywhere as to pro days, etc.   Steelers reputation wise spend a lot on scouting.    And its not just about having one stud at the top but a team of talented guys.

My top desire to build an organization -- personnel stud running personnel -- and be on the forefront on spending on scouting. That's it.    We've struggled for example for decades to find WR talent in the draft.  The Steelers on the other hand hit with just about every WR they draft.  Coincidence?  I doubt it.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-eagles-ravens-scouts-20180122-story.html

Rise of Eagles a reminder of how many quality evaluators Ravens have lost

the departures have seemingly taken a toll and could go a long way in explaining why the Ravens haven’t drafted as well lately under general manager Ozzie Newsome.

While Eagles executive vice president of football operations Howie Roseman deservedly gets most of the credit for building one of the league’s deepest rosters, his staff includes former Ravens scouts Joe Douglas, the Eagles’ vice president of player personnel; Andy Weidl, the assistant director of player personnel; Ian Cunningham, the director of college scouting; and T.J. McCreight, a player personnel executive.

...The Eagles’ ascent this season provides a reminder of how many good scouts the Ravens have lost.

The Ravens certainly have other strong evaluators, but it’s never easy to lose so many scouts who are familiar with the attributes that the front office and coaching staff are looking for in players.

13 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

@SWFLSkins well, that is certainly looking at the bright side of it all, which I’ve mentioned myself, and ignoring some of the legitimate concerns one can have, but I’m not going to reiterate those. All I’ll say is I hope you’re right. :) 

And if Doug is an integral part of elevating someone like Kyle to GM or just giving the expert personnel guys final say in personnel? That’d be awesome and it’d remove much of those concerns.

Yup. It’s pretty simple for us. We just want an organizational structure where the best personnel people are hired and enabled. Whatever that title is, we want them having the ability to make the ultimate decision. That doesn’t negate it being a group effort which seems to be a common misinterpretation of our position. 

So long as Doug is a part of making that happen I’m happy. And, like you said, the concern back then was that he didn’t have much in the way of solid qualifications to be in charge of personnel... but it doesn’t seem like he’s really making those decisions versus just facilitating between those who do. That’s good. 

As for adding to the scouting staff, do people still say it? Last offseason they finally did which was a good thing (though the one concern was they all came from organizations not necessarily known for bringing in great talent). @SWFLSkins posted an article stating that was part of Doug’s plan, so if that’s the case that’s a major positive for Doug. 

I see SWFL quoted you with that part again, lol, so never mind. ;) 

I was as down on the team and Jay as much as anyone last year. I don't wanna get carried away and predict a SB run, lol. I do see and hear some systemic changes that certainly appear the team is heading on the correct course.

The fact that Bruce did not run lead on the draft or post draft speaks volumes, as well as what he said when the Oakland job was floating in the media. He is now on stadiums and stuff. Campbell moving on is another indicator of structural change within. 

And yes I would be highly interested to see what the scouting dept. looks like currently and what any future plans are. 

Hated to do it, but the journalist in me had to go to the original source.......Not a JR fan, even have a milk carton with his name on it. Got into a tweeter beef with him and he mentioned me on the radio in a not so glowing fashion. 

Allowing for my admitted variance in this calculation, the rough order of size of team scouting departments (again including supervisors, pure scouts, vaguely titled “personnel executives”, and scouting assistants, but not including scouting coordinators and administrative personnel) is:

Largest: Browns

Next largest: Lions, Falcons

Third largest: Redskins, 49ers, Patriots, Jaguars, Colts, Buccaneers, Cardinals, Texans

Middle: Eagles, Cowboys, Giants, Vikings, Packers, Bears, Panthers, Rams, Bills, Dolphins

7 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Based on Doug's interview yesterday I think he has a lot more say than many of us thought.  He gave a lot of specifics when it comes to process and how he arranged the trade with Denver.

Was the Denver the trade me made to recoup our 3rd round pick? 

What's weird is that I remember hearing somewhere that Doug wasn't really in the loop on the trade for Alex Smith. Seems to run contrary to him taking a more active role but it's also possible I remember incorrectly.

4 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Was the Denver the trade me made to recoup our 3rd round pick? 

What's weird is that I remember hearing somewhere that Doug wasn't really in the loop on the trade for Alex Smith. Seems to run contrary to him taking a more active role but it's also possible I remember incorrectly.

Check out the video.

Doug Williams Interview from 5/14

https://www.theteam980.com/inside-the-locker-room/

On 5/13/2018 at 12:41 PM, thesubmittedone said:

@Califan007 Wow, where’d you get that quote from? That was a long, long time ago, lol.

I remember those ridiculous days. Guess who was a part of fostering that “overwhelming villainy” that fans blindly jumped into? :/

Bruce Allen. And it happened after that multiple times. 

So not sure that quote is the best one to use from me to make your point. :ols:

yeah, it was during one of our migraine-inducing debates lol...and my point was about how we as fans here on ES react, not about who's to blame for us deciding to act the way we did/do. Would be just as easy to blame Shanahan for his rep and our perception of him like we blame Allen for his, and would be just as easy to blame local media for our seriously negative perception of Allen--they went full force into the "egotistical, jealous wannabe who will use Scot's past drinking issues to kick a great man out of Redskins Park because he coudn't handle not getting the credit" narrative. But none of that excuses any of our actions. 

Archived