Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS: China's behavior monitoring system bars some from travel, purchasing property

AsburySkinsFan

China's behavior monitoring system bars some from travel, purchasing property

By 2020, China plans to give all its 1.4 billion citizens a personal score based on how they behave. Some with low scores are already being punished if they want to travel. Nearly 11 million Chinese are not allowed to fly and 4 million are barred from trains. Next week, the program will start expanding nationwide.

The government says it is trying to "purify" society by rewarding people who are trustworthy and punishing those who are not, reports CBS News correspondent Ben Tracy. So like the credit scores most Americans have based on how they handle their finances, Chinese citizens are getting a social credit score based on everything from whether they pay their taxes on time to how they cross the street to what they post online.

When Liu Hu recently tried to book a flight, he was told he was banned from flying because he was on the list of untrustworthy people. Liu is a journalist who was ordered by a court to apologize for a series of tweets he wrote and was then told his apology was insincere. 

"I can't buy property. My child can't go to a private school," Liu said. "You feel you're being controlled by the list all the time."

The list is now getting longer as every Chinese citizen is being assigned a social credit score, a fluctuating rating based on a range of behaviors. It's believed that community service and buying Chinese-made products can raise your score. Fraud, tax evasion and smoking in non-smoking areas can drop it. If a score gets too low, a person can be banned from buying plane and train tickets, real estate, cars and even high-speed internet. 

"It's a good thing," one Chinese woman said. "There should be punishment for people who can't behave."

China's growing network of surveillance cameras makes all of this possible. The country already has an estimated 176 million cameras. It plans to have more than 600 million installed by 2020.

more at link

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/china-social-credit-system-surveillance-cameras/

6 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Holy Moly that pretty much is the episode of Black Mirror with Bryce Dallas Howard.  "Nosedive" I believe it is titled.

First thing I thought of as well.  Also the only episode of Black Mirror I've ever seen.  I mistakenly thought that episode was the pilot.

9 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

So... how unnerving is it this is the country that is going to replace us as the the premier superpower this century?

Not any more unnerving than all the other effed up stuff that government does.

1 hour ago, Zguy28 said:

Not any more unnerving than all the other effed up stuff that government does.

I'm going to start a separate thread on this at some point, but I feel like we've set the tone for a 21st Century Superpower and if we don't re-evaluate our position, China is going to use that against us once they reach our level.  In the immediate sense, this is their problem, in the future, it could be a lot of other peoples.

31 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

It could be an influence here as more Chinese buy rental properties here, and use their criteria here. 

That's concerning.

I think what’s the most concerning thing about this is that it could actually WORK!

They are using positive reinforcement to acheive desired behavior which absolutely works. What better way to create “model” behaving citizens than to reward them for the behaviors that yoh want to see and withholding those favors in response to less desirable behaviors?

You still have your freedom to choose, but now there really is a response that is fairly immediate. This is textbook conditioning.

Archived