Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another Scool shooting, this time closer to home: St. Mary's MD

gbear

So should we consider having a program to get guys laid to alleviate / short circuit their impulses that get subsumed into violence ? 

And before anyone makes a snarky reply, would that really be the worst idea you've heard?

I wanted to insert a meme, but it has a banned obscenity.

Male on FB:

Female privilege is getting to claim a headache to avoid sex.

Female response:
Female oppression is having to claim physical illness to avoid sex because men won't take a simple ****ing "no" for an answer.

Female oppression is men being so entitled that they think being denied sex is oppressive.

I don’t have any sources because I believe I heard this on the news, in passing, but is this the actual account of what happened???

Boy walks into school and shoots girl in the head and then the bullet deflects and goes into another student.  Then boy shoots himself fatally in the head.

No police officer shooting at all?

Just checking because of all the right wing nutting about a good guy with a gun and all.

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I don’t have any sources because I believe I heard this on the news, in passing, but is this the actual account of what happened???

Boy walks into school and shoots girl in the head and then the bullet deflects and goes into another student.  Then boy shoots himself fatally in the head.

Just checking because of all the right wing nutting about a good guy with a gun and all.

That is the official account

Except the officer shot the boy... in the hand.

So the question now bad guy realizes he was bad and now becomes good guy with a gun? 

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Great-Mills-High-Shooter-Shot-by-School-Officer-Killed-Self-Police-477984883.html

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Pretty much the story I've been told. I also heard that the SRO's shot actually struck the gun in the Austin's hand. Not sure if he was a crack shot and trying to remove the gun from use or what.

36 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

A hand with a gun with the potential of moving is a harder target than torso/body mass. It's why torso shots are taught for self defense.

Yeah... the whole shoot the gun out of the hand is a movie thing. 

Unless you’re a well trained sniper with tons of time to analyze the dude in the chair outside the whitehouse 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Yeah... the whole shoot the gun out of the hand is a movie thing. 

Unless you’re a well trained sniper with tons of time to analyze the dude in the chair outside the whitehouse 

Then what do you think he was aiming at? The guy is going to kill himself anyway, what, are you gonna kill him first? Why shoot at all then?

11 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

Then what do you think he was aiming at? The guy is going to kill himself anyway, what, are you gonna kill him first? Why shoot at all then?

I would assume the only thought going through his mind was to eliminate the threat. Meaning kill the boy in this case. He probably just missed. I doubt very seriously he was aiming at the gun and I doubt even more he was aware the boy was about to shoot himself. He was just thinking of not getting shot - and if we are lucky - saving as many lives as he could. 

Just now, twa said:

Because he can change his mind quickly and shoot others

Xactly

43 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

You're operating on a different level with hindsight information. This is the biggest problem I have whenever there's a police shooting, people seem to forget they have such a benefit.

Officers are, generally speaking, trained to shoot when there's a thread that justifies deadly force, and to shoot until the threat is stopped.

You don't shoot to kill. You don't shoot to injure. 

You shoot to stop a threat that has justified deadly force. Full stop.

Shooting a handgun is hard enough when there is no pressure. Add in the pressure of the other person having a gun, having already shot someone... oh and by the way you're in a school hallway... and we have an issue with school shootings... that's a lot of pressure. You're trained to only aim for the biggest target possible - the torso.

There's no shooting them in the legs to keep them from fleeing. There's no shooting them in the hand to drop the gun. There's no shooting them in the head.

There's no guessing that he's just going to off himself, or guessing anything.

He's a threat. He has a gun. He already shot a student (that later died). 

You aim for the torso and you shoot until the threat is neutralized.

The fact that he hit him in the hand/gun is just how it happened.

We have examples of snipers shooting guns out of hands - like the guy in front of the white house when I was young. Those are rare and require very specific circumstances (a long stand off with a clear shot and a sniper who had all day to evaluate the shot and take it when he felt the most comfortable)

Also worth pointing out - you're trained to care more about what's behind the target than the target.

The target was in a school hallway.

You take zero chances. In fact, you prefer not to shoot at all. But he felt he had to, and based on the info I have I agree with that assessment (i'm just dumb regular dude on the internet so that doesn't really mean much.) 

Asking anything more is ridiculous to me, because to me asking more requires being completely unrealistic about what it takes to fire a hand gun with precision and the severity of the situation, the speed at which everything is happening and moving, and the immense pressure I would think any normal human feels when they have to pull a gun on another person and move for the trigger.

Archived