Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Madden 19 Thread (Xbox One, PS4 and PC)

I got better at Madden '17 then I have been at the game in a handful of years. I had about 100 online games logged before I kind of petered out on playing it.  Was about 15 games over .500.

Haven't really read up on what's new for '18, but I will likely get it when it comes out.

53 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I got better at Madden '17 then I have been at the game in a handful of years. I had about 100 online games logged before I kind of petered out on playing it.  Was about 15 games over .500.

Haven't really read up on what's new for '18, but I will likely get it when it comes out.

What system you getting it on?  I'll be on PS4, don't think I'm going to buy it for XBox1 this year.  This year they are bringing back the beloved online team play (3 vs 3) they abandoned years ago.  Only exception is it will be for MUT, but I'll take it.  

I think I'm only going to focus my time on MUT this year and league play.  With the exception of playing head to head with friends or peeps on here.

I'm exactly like you space...I usually get really good at the game and then I start bouncing everybody until madden wants to rip you. 6 fumbles....every receiver drops open passes 5 times...etc.and I stop playing it because it gets boring and irritating at the same time. Truthfully I could probably be a pro madden gamer if I took it serious enought but the game is always so inconsistent.  but I have it pre ordered on xb1. 

12 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'll get it like I normally do, however the last few years I've been done playing it by like, November.  Just really can't get into it like I used to.  It's more like a yearly tradition for me at this point. 

The money grab move to focus on ultimate team has really killed a lot of their loyal, older fan base. But it's way more profitable for them, so I understand it. 

5 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

The money grab move to focus on ultimate team has really killed a lot of their loyal, older fan base. But it's way more profitable for them, so I understand it. 

I get that too.  

But for me Madden falls into two categories, both on franchise mode:  Play on normal and decimate the computer, throwing for over 500 yards a game and essentially re-writing NFL record books left and right and having the Redskins win championships each year.  Or playing on All Madden and throwing my controller around the living room as I lose close games on bull**** plays by the CPU (recovering an onside kick, hitting a 50 yard bomb to win as time expires, for example) and sweating out tough victories but without the statistical glory of having a running back rush for 300 yards in a game.

After years of that, it's kinda getting old no matter whatever other stuff they cram in there.  Ultimate team seems alright but I'm not paying to open packs.  

30 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

You don't have to drop money on MUT, though tons of people do drop tons of $$$ on it.  I didn't buy any packs in Madden 17 and my team is a 96 overall.  My problem has always been that I start out playing online head to head ranked and in a league as well.  After a couple of months, I do get burned out and don't want to play any mode, but I always come back and play MUT last and have a ton of catching up to do.  

But you can be successful on MUT and not spend a dime of your money doing so.  I was guilty of buying credits once to get me tickets in game so I could do the ranked draft champs mode, I think I spent $20 and that was 6 months after the game was released.  It was a waste too, cause if you win the unranked you get 3 tickets which are required for the ranked mode.

I've been playing Madden since forever, I'll continue to buy it.  What's sad is the exclusive license for NFL, it forced away competition (2K), which at times leaves us with "the same ole thing" year after year, however, Madden 17 was one of the better ones and 18 looks to be even better.

33 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I get that too.  

But for me Madden falls into two categories, both on franchise mode:  Play on normal and decimate the computer, throwing for over 500 yards a game and essentially re-writing NFL record books left and right and having the Redskins win championships each year.  Or playing on All Madden and throwing my controller around the living room as I lose close games on bull**** plays by the CPU (recovering an onside kick, hitting a 50 yard bomb to win as time expires, for example) and sweating out tough victories but without the statistical glory of having a running back rush for 300 yards in a game.

After years of that, it's kinda getting old no matter whatever other stuff they cram in there.  Ultimate team seems alright but I'm not paying to open packs.  

You don't have to pay.  You won't advance as quick as others, but it really doesn't take that long.  Stock up on in game coin doing solo challenges, weekly challenges that give you better cards.  Get on the auction house and buy better players.  It's time consuming, but thats it.

They've apprently fixed a bunch of issues that were wrong in 17; issues that, had they not been fixed, would have caused me to pass on buying 18 out of protest and hope EA's sales dip so they actually invest time in the game mechanics issues for once.

The "swerve" is gone. When you call flats the players actually go into the flats right away now. Before you'd call it, the defender wouldn't react right away and go there, making flats pointless to even call. The WR screen blocking has been dialed back due to exploits. Also, INTs were scaled down, so no more defenders (especially LBers) doing unrealsitics 12 foot jumps when a pass goes over the middle. If you call deep zone, it's now almost impossible for a WR to haul in a pass when in that double coverage, hit stick is on the right only, so no more being given hit sticks on many tackles just from hitting X.

https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news/2017/fixes

For a casual player, much of this stuff may not even be noticed. But I have friends in different states and we play online against each other, each of us is good at the game, so the exploit plays and game play flaws become much more apparent and too often were the difference in the game. It's like in real life when a football game is decided by a bad ref call. It's frustrating as all get out. 

Now maybe one day they'll actually fix it to where a receiver in the flats doesn't run his route out of bounds simply because the ball snap position was off-center.

35 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

You don't have to drop money on MUT, though tons of people do drop tons of $$$ on it.  I didn't buy any packs in Madden 17 and my team is a 96 overall.  My problem has always been that I start out playing online head to head ranked and in a league as well.  After a couple of months, I do get burned out and don't want to play any mode, but I always come back and play MUT last and have a ton of catching up to do.  

But you can be successful on MUT and not spend a dime of your money doing so.  I was guilty of buying credits once to get me tickets in game so I could do the ranked draft champs mode, I think I spent $20 and that was 6 months after the game was released.  It was a waste too, cause if you win the unranked you get 3 tickets which are required for the ranked mode.

I've been playing Madden since forever, I'll continue to buy it.  What's sad is the exclusive license for NFL, it forced away competition (2K), which at times leaves us with "the same ole thing" year after year, however, Madden 17 was one of the better ones and 18 looks to be even better.

I've read about people like you.  The frugal type!  Look down your nose at those who spend thousands of dollars at your own peril :) 

ive read it's good practice to "work the auction house."  I just don't have enough time to grind solos, work the auction house, and play head to head in order to get a competitive overal team.  Ill still play mut, but getting my ass kicked by 12 year olds running the same plays over and over gets frustrating and I usually quit pretty early. 

13 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

i cant remember who i played on here but they pretty much ran the same 5-8 plays.  Not successful but it was boring as hell to play someone like that

We played once, picked random teams.  Game was close, you won by a single score.  If I didn't get my custom playbooks loaded and had to use some random team's, it's quite possible that I used a lot of the same standard plays over and over.  I don't recall that being the case when we played, but I honestly don't remember specifics other than we used random teams and the game was close.

I typically don't listen to the coaching suggestions and pick from various formations and with new playbooks (new to me) that don't have all the formations I want or am used to, I find myself running a lot of the same plays over.  

I also, at times, will run the same type of play (running or the routes) out of different formations (e.g. FB dive out of Strong-I, I Twins, etc. or 4 WR slants out of regular shotgun, various shotgun formations or singleback, etc.).  Sometimes I use the same formation and play but hot route the players to different routes or audible out to another play in the same formation.  

But when I have my custom book set, I usually go through tons of formations and plays.  I try to scheme (I'll use that loosely) plays/formations/sets and toss those at people.  I'm not one of those players that actually sits down and charts out plays (no time for that).  But I'll start out a game on offense and typically run the same few plays to see if I can get a feel for how my opponent is going to play me (e.g. blitz every down, play zone, play man, cover 2, etc.).  Then I'll usually start out with one formation (say Strong I) and run plays out of the multiple Strong I sets.  Throughout the game, I'll switch it up.  

I remember you playing some others too and in our league for the whole week or two it lasted lol.  I might pick it up on XB1 after all, if someone else wants to commish a league, let me know, I'll join if I pick it up.

I know @Momma There Goes That Man and I had epic games in our PS4 leagues back in the day.  He's the person I played most on here.  We both would be tossing every play and the kitchen sink at each other and it always came down to the wire.   I will admit, that he has been the only player I've played that actually drove me to write down his offensive plays and the defense I picked one time.  So I could try to get that little edge that would favor me.  

I remember playing you taze a few times on xbox...lol. anyhow...first impression of madden is definitely mixed. I have yet to be able to throw any anticipation routes such as corner routes. You can't throw the ball before they break to the corner...100%  a pick. I ran a game with redskins h2h against my good friend...he was texans. Defense whether cb safety or lb do not drop interceptions. Man defense is horrendous as well...looks like a lot of zone plays is where it's at this year again. OL- definitely improved the lineman iq. When watt would Break through he would get doubled immediately. I barely faced any pressure with redskins OL. Mind you...this guy is the best I've ever played that on the D line. Absolutely a monster. He maybe had 2 pressures. Running the ball is way better and smoother. I've never got 100 yards on him in madden and I breezed through 100 by third quarter. Back to passing...to me it fell off a cliff which I think doesn't need to be like it was in 17 but cb'a ran my route better than my receiver. Your receiver needs to be pretty open to catch the ball outside of 1v1 jump ball scenarios. I do like it outside of the little hiccups.

Taze I'll commish a league in xb1

9 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

I remember playing you taze a few times on xbox...lol. anyhow...first impression of madden is definitely mixed. I have yet to be able to throw any anticipation routes such as corner routes. You can't throw the ball before they break to the corner...100%  a pick. I ran a game with redskins h2h against my good friend...he was texans. Defense whether cb safety or lb do not drop interceptions. Man defense is horrendous as well...looks like a lot of zone plays is where it's at this year again. OL- definitely improved the lineman iq. When watt would Break through he would get doubled immediately. I barely faced any pressure with redskins OL. Mind you...this guy is the best I've ever played that on the D line. Absolutely a monster. He maybe had 2 pressures. Running the ball is way better and smoother. I've never got 100 yards on him in madden and I breezed through 100 by third quarter. Back to passing...to me it fell off a cliff which I think doesn't need to be like it was in 17 but cb'a ran my route better than my receiver. Your receiver needs to be pretty open to catch the ball outside of 1v1 jump ball scenarios. I do like it outside of the little hiccups.

Taze I'll commish a league in xb1

Yeah, we had some good games, all close.  I really would like to be in a league where it's 20+ active people, would be so much fun.  But easier said than done.  I think we had 10 last year when we tried and 7 were always AFK/autopilot.  Probably started it way too late too.  

The few folks I know all will be down. It needs to be a quick league where gamed are played by every other day you know? It Wil keep people motivated to keep playing but it requires dedication due to if one person can't play...and leta say when we Sim the person who was able loses...might be pretty upset and want to stop playing. But ideal would definitely be 20+ if not a full league.

35 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I honestly think we need to have a league and we just monitor our H2H in this thread.  

That's what the problem was, not everyone in the league posted on here.  And unless we go outside ES, we don't have a lot of players/teams and you end up playing the CPU way too much, which is boring as hell, imo.  That and I was a ****ty commissioner :rofl89: 

17 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

The few folks I know all will be down. It needs to be a quick league where gamed are played by every other day you know? It Wil keep people motivated to keep playing but it requires dedication due to if one person can't play...and leta say when we Sim the person who was able loses...might be pretty upset and want to stop playing. But ideal would definitely be 20+ if not a full league.

Never sim a loss cause someone can't make it to play live, just put them on autopilot and let the person play the CPU.  The biggest problem I have with leagues is trying to coordinate a time to play my opponent when it's a real player and not a CPU ran team.  That's why trying to advance every other day is hard to do.  I'm lucky and have a set schedule (M-F and work until 5pm or 8pm EST) and am home most Friday nights and weekends.  

But for those that don't have set schedules, you run into them being available at random times like 1pm on a Tuesday, or wanting to start at 11pm at night.  Or can't play Friday night cause they go out to the club, etc. etc.  which is all fine, I used to have that type of schedule and fully understand.  

If you sim a loss because someone can't play, how do you decide which player gets the loss?  If Player A says they can play at 1pm Tuesday, Wed and Thursday or anytime after 11pm at night (cause they work 2nd shift) and Player B works during the day and has to get up early and can't start a game at 11pm at night but can play anytime after 5pm M-F, who is at fault??

The PS4 league I'm in has a set plan, set rules, same amount of days for advancing through the off-season, pre-season and two days a week on advancing the league to give people time to try and play H2H.  It's for the most part, extremely well ran, only issue is the total number of teams is low.  But the group of guys are great, along with the commish.  

It needs to be structured, as best it can.  But, I'm not putting my card in the hat for commish, I'd rather be a follower/participate and just offer suggestions until we can establish a plan with some continuity.  

Well that I agree with that there should be laid out structure. But if someone can't make xx time but the other can and then one can make said time while the other cant...to me allowing one person to face the CPU and get a w  (well however good they may be) is one sided and would just Sim the game. At least that's how I view it and it could change with others. Now if someone willingly says hey I'm out of town I can't make it then that's when I'd say the person can play the CPU. But if there's just a schedule issue...and we are needing to advance, worst case scenario whoever team wins in a Sim is the go ahead. But it's why I said people need to be dedicated. Dedication (this ties in with sacrificing) and communication  (like if everybody was on this website we could PM, ETC) is the vital key to efficiently run a league. Of course, have grace with out the blue issues but allowing a league to get derailed for a week cause of one game that can't get played isn't gonna happen. Or should not happen should I say. 

Archived