Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

cost of living--- whip it out on, measure and compare

mcsluggo

Just now, Corcaigh said:

I only drink with people whose company I enjoy, so I drink alone.

I can definitely drink to that

If you ever want to check out the mountains around here I hope you will let me know.  Dont worry I will leave you alone after 5 pm so you can be with your Jamesons

Wife and I bought our "forever home" last year.  Lovely 4 bedroom SFH in a quiet Burke community full of community amenities like pools, walking paths and playgrounds for our two young children to play at.

The home is outrageously expensive but we live 5-10 miles from our respective jobs in Springfield and Fairfax.  The school system we are in is one of the best in the country.  So what we give up in cost of living, we regain somewhat in time spent with family and quality of the area we are in.

Id like to say that we will be in this house forever, if I never refinance then I'll be paid off at around 65.  Lots change over the years though, sonwe will see.  If I were going to move elsewhere, it would probably be north.  I like snow and hockey.

If I can figure out how to retire in 10 years, I will.  The house will be paid off in 10 years.  Of course, that will mean making sure our youngest (now 11) is out of the house and successfully on her own by then.  Fingers crossed.

My wife and I have talked about moving somewhere near the coast. Not sure where though, we'll see.  With our retirement savings plus proceeds from selling the house, if we move somewhere with a lower cost of living, we should be set with travel abroad to keep us entertained.

On 7/28/2017 at 5:14 PM, mcsluggo said:

it gives you the cost of living in different cities, for different family sizes.   However... the "lower cost housing" that is averaged in to get the average and median in Baltimore might not look as appealing as the "lower cost housing" in Lexington, Ky... but who knows??     

anyway, a first shot is the cost of a family of 5 in Downtown DC, the DC suburbs, and Lexington KY.

i am surprised that the HOUSING cost isn't AS different from DC to Lexington as i expected.   (yes, it is almost double, but honestly i expected it to be even more).  Also it isn't ANY different in the DC suburbs....versus downtown DC?   hmmmmm  Maybe Bethesda???  but rockville or manassas averaged in...?

i am also surprised that childcare is THREE TIMES!!!  as expensive in DC as it is in lexington ... wow!!!

also, taxes are three times higher in DC.... 

... but taxes and childcare are MUCH higher in DC than in the DC suburbs as well...

when you shift to a couple, the childcare disappears, and the much of the differences melt away...

is this accurate?  at all???    

when you go to zillow... you sure see a lot more $100-200k houses for sale than you see $200-400k houses in DC.... 

When looking at housing between DC and Lexington look beyond just price. Here's what $500,000 gets you specifically IN Lexington city limits.

http://www.bluegrassteam.com/listing/1704381-2453-coroneo-ln-lexington-ky-40509/

Whereas to get a similar property in the DC area you're out past Rockville, Manassas, Lanham, and Clinton. Now, drive the same distance outside of Lexington as those cities and watch what happens. (Manassas to 495 is 22 miles)

Lexington to Georgetown, KY is 12 miles, and I can put you in this for the same price.

http://www.bluegrassteam.com/listing/1714035-1217-crumbaugh-rd-georgetown-ky-40324/

Now, subtract the taxes, childcare, congestion, and reduced crime. And for me the answer is obvious.

On 7/29/2017 at 4:11 PM, tshile said:

i'm also someone who doesn't think the $ you make means anything if your work-life balance, or happiness, is out of whack. i'll take 50k and happy over 150k and miserable every day of the week. i can find a way to live with 50k, i can't fathom living and being unhappy (and not working to fix it)

You can live pretty well out here on $50k annually. $100k combined and you're living well.

I keep hearing folks talking about family and friends, which is a legit concern. What I find from most of my clients is that college took the kids out of state and now the kids live scattered across the country to certain degrees. The folks with tight knit family and friend circles don't call me. More often than not I'm talking with pre-retirees. Truly about 85% of my business is working woth out of state buyers. I'm literally having this conversation multiple times oer week. 

On 7/29/2017 at 9:30 PM, Corcaigh said:

I only drink with people whose company I enjoy, so I drink alone.

That is a FACT!!! Life is too damn short to hang out with peopleyou don't enjoy! There are a LOT of trades I'm willing to make with my work time, but anyone who sits on my deck with a bourbon and cigar is going to be there because I like them.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:48 PM, mcsluggo said:

i was in Rodanthe (in the outer banks, just south of the Pea Island Resreve)... and houses there are still way suppressed from the crash... i think they are are 50% of the peak still (according to Zilow)

Trust me, we lost almost 400k on our waterfront home in Corolla a few months ago.

Archived