Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What percentage of white people have white guilt?

Major Harris

Oh, holy.  "Just"? 

This is the new younger twa, y'all.  And my doctor won't approve another blood pressure spike.  She changed my med after the election as it was, because the stuff that had worked for years wasn't anymore...and the new one cost more than double the first.

#thanksES

11 minutes ago, RedskinsMayne said:

Maybd your joking. But integrated, not stolen.

I wouldn't call it integrated.  Former slaves and poor black men didn't choose to integrate their music into popular culture.  White musicians just decided to start playing it.

Where an opponent of cultural appropriation and I differ though, is that I think the white man did it because it was moving, beautiful music.  Why not play music that you enjoy?

16 minutes ago, RedskinsMayne said:

Not the natives. We didn't steal any of there culture either. We just killed them.

Now you have moved on to WE. Interesting. I can sit here and tell you that your "WE" didn't kill all of us. Certainly stole parts of culture. 

Please don't feign ignorance. 

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The "guilt" does not stem from slavery in the 18th century.  It stems from the active oppression of American blacks in both the living memory(Jim Crow) and present day (war on drugs, GOP policies).

I think it stems from slavery, but I'm sure it could be different for different people. 

I say that because there's so much emotion tied up in the idea of 'one race' enslaving and abusing another race', but I also think Jim crow plays a part in it. 

Im not sure there's a ton of guilt if any, about the war on drugs, though. 

5 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Now you have moved on to WE. Interesting. I can sit here and tell you that your "WE" didn't kill all of us. Certainly stole parts of culture. 

We did. America is we. You're a part of we whether you like it or not. Stop creating new things to argue about. 

8 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Hes not feigning it.  It's absolutely real.  Victim of private schooling no doubt.

7 minutes ago, RedskinsMayne said:

We did. America is we. You're a part of we whether you like it or not. Stop creating new things to argue about. 

"We" didn't, immigrants did. As in not Native. Not creating anything beyond what you are providing as banter. 

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Hes not feigning it.  It's absolutely real.  Victim of private schooling no doubt.

haha. At least the racists that I know admit to it. There is no reason to hide behind a shroud, it is simply dishonest. 

4 minutes ago, RedskinsMayne said:

Ironically I went to a predominantly black/Hispanic public school

http://public-schools.startclass.com/l/95505/Bayside-High

All those Black and Hispanic folks must have made you into this person. 

Seriously, folks are not fighting against you. Typically most folks are fighting for the same thing. Money, respect, power. 

Equality is on the next page of that book. 

7 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

All those Black and Hispanic folks must have made you into this person. 

Seriously, folks are not fighting against you. Typically most folks are fighting for the same thing. Money, respect, power. 

Equality is on the next page of that book. 

I do not think they are fighting against me. Even if they were, I wouldn't care. I'm gonna be me. I think they should stop using white people as an excuse for everything bad that happens to them.  It doesn't do anything for me, and it certainly doesn't help them.

I should add, most people don't blame whitie for all of their problems, but the people that do should stop. Mostly it's people in power not named Obama.

1 minute ago, RedskinsMayne said:

Your American Indian, kosher? If so, my fupah. Gotta be more than 15% though.

So you do read. Hmm. 

What difference does that make ? 

To answer your question, yes, go to the Redskins name change thread. 

I'll give you credit, at least you are admitting it. Thanks. 

Well, why should an average middle class white guy have white guilt?  The oppressors are always the elites.  Sure, they probably agreed with policies that hurt minorities, but ultimately they, meaning the white middle class, did not write those policies.  So you cannot blame them.

There also should not be any feelings of white supremacy.  An average middle class White guy has nothing to do with Newton. He was a smart man who happened to be White.  In fact, if you look at the majority of European countries nothing came out out of them.  The UK, Germany, Italy and France were the powerhouses.  Even then, the majority of the population did nothing.  They weren't responsible for Kant.

9 hours ago, RedskinsMayne said:

Maybd your joking. But integrated, not stolen.

Oh no, not according to the appropriation police. Integration/melding/cross-over from a minority population is cultural theft, whereas when the minority group reflects the majority cultire that's fine.

I think when the topic of white privilege comes up too many people don't look beyond their own personal lifespan and situation.  White privilege begins with the fact that you likely weren't brought here against your will and sold into slavery.  Then hundreds of years later when you are supposedly "free" you still don't have the same rights for another long while.  Then the day you get those rights, everyone expects you to be fully caught up to white society.

White privilege has nothing to do with and is often confused with "white people have it easy"  that isn't what it is about.   I think a lot of people fail to see the legacy aspect of white privilege.  A good basic break down that doesn't get overly-detailed and long winded was a picture of a race, call it "The American Dream" marathon.  A white guy starts at the sound of the gun, but the black guy has to wait hundreds of years to begin the race.  Throughout this time the white guy has likely spawned generations, built his capitol, perhaps an empire (not necessarily meaning the guy is wealthy, just established).  Things that takes many generations to accomplish.  Fast forward to civil rights being passed when supposed "equality" took place and then it was like suddenly an entire race was expected to make up the 400 years of not being able to even start the race towards the American Dream.  How many generations has it been since civil rights act was passed? It was 1964, my dad was 17 years old.  He has had grandkids for exactly 5 years.  So let's say a generation and a half since the civil rights act has passed and people honestly believe that was somehow what equalized all of society in a snapshot.   

I still don't know where I stand on something like reparations and/or in what kind of form they should even come in, but I do kind of feel like "freedom" from slavery wasn't good enough and at the time there should have been something else to go along with it in order to make up for how behind society an entire race was put. 

4 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Oh no, not according to the appropriation police. Integration/melding/cross-over from a minority population is cultural theft, whereas when the minority group reflects the majority cultire that's fine.

Well, i'm not smart enough to figure out what your saying, but it sounds like your agreeing with me :) So thanks.

On 5/6/2017 at 8:01 PM, NoCalMike said:

I still don't know where I stand on something like reparations and/or in what kind of form they should even come in, but I do kind of feel like "freedom" from slavery wasn't good enough and at the time there should have been something else to go along with it in order to make up for how behind society an entire race was put. 

I think most everyone understands the history and how it got to where we are but, what there is no agreement on is what to do about it. Using your metaphor, do the runners up front stop running (ie. no longer work for and take good paying jobs etc), for how long do they have to wait? Do they need to put their following generations into poverty? What about those white families that did not have a history of slave ownership? What about current generations of whites who are the first generation out of poverty? Do they need to go back into poverty? The whole discussion likes to pretend that all white runners are running at the same pace and all are currently at the same mile marker, but that simply isn't the case, it's very much like a marathon: runners of all different races scattered throughout the course. Did the whites over history have an advantage? You bet. But did all whites have the same advantages? Hardly. I guess the same question would have to be asked of minorities, should they slow down so that their slower kin and catch up? Should they have to slow down so that whites in poverty can catch up? In the end this becomes an exercise in absurdity. Because god knows that I'd love to be able to catch up to those legacy kids with the silver spoons.

The only thing realistically that can be done is to try and make the marathon as fair as possible, no one should be be forced on a treadmill while others get to run short-cuts, based on the seven protected classes.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

So my wife asked last night, "Have white people ever had to 'rise up', and why not?"

Couldn't really answer that.  ES, have any help?

Never

Just people that were white

5 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I think most everyone understand the history and how it got to where we are but, what there is no agreement on is what to do about it. Using your metaphor, do the runners up front stop running (ie. no longer work for and take goid paying jobs etc), for how long do they have to wait? Do they need to put their following generations into poverty? What about those white families that did not have a history of slave ownership? What about current generations of whites who are the first generation out of poverty? Do they need to go back into poverty? The whole discussion likes to pretend that all white runners are running at the same pace and all are currently at the same mile marker, but that simply isn't the case, it's very much like a marathon: runners of all different races scattered throughout the course. Did the whites over history have an advantage? You bet. But did all whites have the same advantages? Hardly. I guess the same question would have to be asked of minorities, should they slow down so that their slower kin and catch up? Should they have to slow down so that whites in poverty can catch up? In the end this becomes an exercise in absurdity. Because god knows that I'd love to be able to catch up to those legacy kids with the silver spoons.

The only thing realistically that can be done is to try and make the marathon as fair as possible, no one is to be forced on a treadmill while others get to run short-cuts based on the seven protected classes.

Well said.

Archived