Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Joshua Holsey DB Auburn

PCS

If I recall it was McNally last week who said on one of his calls with Todd McShay predraft -- McShay touted Holsey.  so I just went digging and found this:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/03/todd_mcshay_believes_former_au.html

ESPN's Todd McShay believes 2 former Auburn players are 'underrated' NFL Draft prospects

ESPN NFL Draft and college football analyst Todd McShay said Wednesday during a media teleconference that he believes defensive backs Rudy Ford and Josh Holsey "are a little bit underrated" when it comes to their NFL stock.

"I think both of those guys have a chance to stick in the league for a while and be productive and outplay where they get drafted," McShay said. "I think both will help on special teams and eventually develop into, whether it's starters or nickel starters or just contributors, in a regular way."

Holsey is perhaps even more underrated. A five-year player at Auburn, where he played safety, cornerback and nickel corner, Holsey put together the best season of his career in 2016 after returning from a second torn ACL. The 5-foot-10, 190-pounder led the team with three interceptions and tied for the lead with 10 pass breakups to go along with 30 total tackles.

Despite a solid senior season, Holsey did not receive an invite to the Senior Bowl or any other postseason all-star game, nor was he invited to the NFL Combine.

Last week's pro day, he said, was his combine -- and he was pleased with how he performed. He ran an unofficial 4.43 40, added a 9-foot, 10-inch broad jump and led all Auburn players with a 35-inch vertical.

Holsey is rated as the No. 41 cornerback, according to NFLDraftScout.com and is projected to go undrafted.

"It doesn't matter to me, to be honest," Holsey said of where he expects to be drafted. "I just want a chance."

Obviously I would love for Holsey to pan out, but the media reports are a bit too glowing for a guy who was taken at the end of the draft.  I feel like this happens a few times every year, guys who are late get glowing reviews and everybody has high expectations, and then they fade into obscurity before the season starts and get cut.  I hope thats not the case, but I think a heavy does of salt is needed with the super reports so far.  He must have some pretty obvious flaws.

2 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Obviously I would love for Holsey to pan out, but the media reports are a bit too glowing for a guy who was taken at the end of the draft.  I feel like this happens a few times every year, guys who are late get glowing reviews and everybody has high expectations, and then they fade into obscurity before the season starts and get cut.  I hope thats not the case, but I think a heavy does of salt is needed with the super reports so far.  He must have some pretty obvious flaws.

His most obvious flaw is his twice-torn ACL. If he's back 100% from that, hes got a pretty impressive skill-set which explains why he was a sleeper for some before the draft. He wasn't gonna be a 1st rounder if healthy or anything but injuries lead to some of the biggest steals in the draft every year. 

To me being optimistic about this guy is more reasonable than last years 7th round love affair, the unathletic old school BC LB, Steven Daniels. His skill-set didn't really fit today's game unless he turned out to have HOF-level instincts and work ethic. Whereas this guy, as a slot CB if healthy? You can see how he fits. 

9 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

His most obvious flaw is his twice-torn ACL. If he's back 100% from that, hes got a pretty impressive skill-set which explains why he was a sleeper for some before the draft. He wasn't gonna be a 1st rounder if healthy or anything but injuries lead to some of the biggest steals in the draft every year. 

To me being optimistic about this guy is more reasonable than last years 7th round love affair, the unathletic old school BC LB, Steven Daniels. His skill-set didn't really fit today's game unless he turned out to have HOF-level instincts and work ethic. Whereas this guy, as a slot CB if healthy? You can see how he fits. 

Who knows whether Fuller or Holsey earn the starting nod, or if Breeland (possibly Moreau) moves inside and Dunbar (or Moreau) takes his spot outside.  

All I do know is that this guy put on some good tape, he's smart and has been touted by certain people.  Really liked this article - 

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburnauthority/2017/03/12/fmr-auburn-db-josh-holsey-pro-day-my-combine/99103550/

As for Fuller, a year of experience under his belt, a year further from his injury, the chance to play for his former coach, and improved communication can only help.  

These two young guys give us some hope (especially long term) for a position we've been lacking talent for quite some time.  

11 hours ago, Peregrine said:

2x torn ACL and size, he's not big. Not your prototypical shutdown corner because he's going to have trouble with big receivers.

But he's perfect for a slot CB, and we have a need there.

4.43 40 and 35 inch vert. Has explosion and speed. And at 5'9 and 190, matches up well against the small quick slot WR's.

5 hours ago, Morneblade said:

2x torn ACL and size, he's not big. Not your prototypical shutdown corner because he's going to have trouble with big receivers.

But he's perfect for a slot CB, and we have a need there.

4.43 40 and 35 inch vert. Has explosion and speed. And at 5'9 and 190, matches up well against the small quick slot WR's.

And he's super smart.  

That sounds like the 'ol Gibbs-ism, but in this case, given the article I posted above, it appears to be quite true.  

Archived