Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is your favorite Bill Murray performance in a film?

Ron78

What is your favorite Bill Murray performance in a film?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Bill Murray performance in a film?

• Meatballs
    • Caddyshack
    • Stripes
    • Ghostbusters (or Ghostbusters 2)
    • Scrooged
    • Quick Change
    • What About Bob?
    • Groundhog Day
    • Kingpin
    • The Man Who Knew Too Little
    • Rushmore
    • Lost in Translation
    • The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
    • Rock the Kasbah
    • Other

1 minute ago, China said:

It seems to me most of his comedy performances were him doing his schtick... Meatballs, Stripes, Groundhog Day, Ghostbusters, Scrooged...

All the same, funny but not great acting and nothing novel.

That's why I picked Lost in Translation, although I can see something like his performance as Kingpin as more unique than his other comedy performances.

True, but I found his "schtick" to always be really funny.  It never really got old for me.  That said, Lost in Translation is a great movie and different from anything else he did.

True or not, there's a funny story about Bill Murray walking up to some random girl at a restaurant and stealing French fries from her plate.  And when she looked at him to yell, he put his finger over his lips and said "nobody will ever believe you". 

I refuse to pick one.  Too many.  

I wonder whether his role in St. Vincent comes closest to revealing his true soul, because there seems to be a hint melancholy underneath his comedy. 

I love the ending vignette for some reason. The lyrics to Shelter From The Storm are especially poignant (i'll always do my best for her, on that I give my word) given the secret revealed of his character's life.

For me it came down between the following:

Stripes

What About Bob?

Scrooged

Groundhog Day

Stripes was one I watched as a kid, loved that movie, but I don't consider it his best, very close though.  What About Bob? was really funny and great, but still, not his best work, imo.  Scrooged, while I loved him in the movie and he nails it, but it's nothing more than a modern day remake (at the time) of A Christmas Carol.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it wasn't original, which makes it hard for me to make it my favorite.

So I went with Groundhog Day.  Not only was it classic Murray, not only was it hilarious (imo), but it created a modern day/current day phrase uttered by millions in every day talk (e.g. "I feel like I'm stuck in Groundhog day").  People watched the movie and then used it to describe their everyday lives and that phrase (and versions) has lived on since 1993.  

His best cameo though, Zombieland.

22 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Stripes is a classic movie, but I am surprised Ghostbusters didn't get better representation.  Ghostbusters was a monster hit in the 80's.  It's probably Murray's biggest box office hit if you factor in inflation.

Archived