Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Recent History: Redskins vs Giants

TD_washingtonredskins

It is well documented that the Giants have our number over the past several years. We don't compete all that often and win even more rarely. But, the past three times we've played the Giants with something on the line late in the year, we have stepped up. In all three cases we had already lost to them (in relatively agonizing fashion) and needed a W to keep a playoff run alive.

2005: Entering the game on a late-season run and believing that we had to win out, Santana Moss went nuts (catching 3 TDs) leading us to a Merry Christmas eve win, 35-20!

2007: Once again we were hot coming into this game (had just beat the Bears behind Collins) and we won an ugly game behind a strong defensive effort in New York, 22-10.

2012: We were looking for a third straight division win as part of our 7-game winning streak. We hosted the Giants on MNF and won a low-scoring game, 17-16. I remember needing one more first down to seal the game and watching Griffin fake the zone read, look over the middle, and drill a clinching pass to Garçon on a slant (the play that was open all year).

So, as we head into this first place "showdown" against a team we don't typically beat, at least we have some recent history on our side. No better time than Sunday to rise up and try to have ourselves a season!

Yeah I hope yesterday's butt-kicking can serve some purpose as a wake-up call to these guys.  As frustrating as some of the ref calls were (and I do think you blame the ticky-tack league more on some than the individual refs, such as the Culliver play), once its over, sack up and play instead of wilting.  And its not becoming of guys like Hatcher to be spouting off about getting jobbed because of the team nickname. Jason, you got whooped, plain and simple.

Back to the topic at hand.....I do think the Skins bounce back and beat the Giants, although Eli does still scare the daylights out of me.  In a larger view, this season somehow feels like a post-Gibbs I mid-90s growth year than anything. I can see splitting the next two games, but would be pleasantly surprised if we can beat both Eli and Romo. Still looking like 7-9/8-8 to me, and if we achieve the latter and playoffs somehow result, that'll be gravy in my mind.

2007 I remember being in a bar up in Alaska for that Giants game!  Maaaan was I faded :lol:

It was really windy and we ran the ball well.  Collins made a couple of throws when we needed them and you said it, the defense showed up.  I had been in Iraq for 18 months, but was able to use my ticket to the Cowboys game in week 17 a couple of weeks later.  We had beat the Vikes the week in between the Giants and Cowboys games and I was flying from Anchorage to Vegas during the game... I was upgraded to first class for that flight, very nice of the delta airlines folks.  I remember the stewardess was like "You look nervous, are you okay?" and I told her the Redskins were playing and I absolutely had to know the score.  So she had the pilot radio the control towers for scoring updates as we passed different airports.  One of the coolest things anyone has ever done for me just to be nice.

2012 I remember this one well.  I decided to go around the inner loop of the beltway since I was coming from work (NW DC at the time) and I saw a ton of Giants fans.  We exchanged middle fingers several times... mine was probably bigger than theirs, can't remember.

I had worn a Dana Stubblefield jersey to the Eagles game a couple of weeks earlier and we won... then I threw it on for the 2nd quarter of the Cowboys game on Thanksgiving... so I wore it to this game.  I remember Morris actually running the ball for a first down to officially seal it.

We also could've had more points in this one if not for a fumble.  We also benefitted from a good bounce early in the game.  I think that PG or Josh Morgan scored on a fumble recovery or a ricochet of some kind.

Typically, when we beat the Giants, we make the playoffs.  Very few times has that not come to fruition.

2007: Once again we were hot coming into this game

Not really. 2007 was a weird year mainly due to the Taylor tragedy.  I think after his death and the surreal Bills game where Gibbs pulled his double-timeout thing and then everyone going to the funeral, most of us just wanted the season to be over.  The Bears game had to be the coldest game ever at FedEx, and then Campbell went down.  Even after Collins led us to the win over Chicago, I still wasn't in much of a mood to care, and didn't really even watch the Giants game (being over a relative's house who weren't big football fans during the game had a lot to do with us). But somehow we win, and the game against the Vikings gets flexed to Sunday night......what a change.

We aren't beating the NYG.. Even if we can somehow keep it close, they'll win the game with a late drive or something stupid.. Only division team we can seem to beat, that are better then us, is the Cowboys.. Somehow our D can, on occasion, solve Romo and that offense when it matters.. The Giants, not so much.. They'll score as much as they need to, whenever they need to..

Sorry, just didn't want to see anyone get overly excited here on a Monday.. :P

I've always loved playing the Redskins in a meaningful game for first place.  I respect them way more than the Cowboys and Eagles. Losing to the Cowboys and Eagles in a game like this takes me months to get over.  While it bothers me if they lose to the Redskins, it doesn't kill me.  That being said, this is a big game for both teams.  It keeps the Redskins in it until the end if they win and pretty much knocks them out if they don't.  The Giants could get a strangle hold on the division if they win and Thanksgiving unfolds favorably.  

Either way, it is a huge game.  Plus, it is the first time Giant fans get to see Hakeem Nicks back in a Giants uniform if he has learned enough of the playbook to play.

Tom, hope all has been going well for you.  You're one of the nuts that's been around since this site was formed 15 years ago.

The ESPN whizzes put up numbers indicated the Giants now have a 55 percent chance of winning the division, the Eagles and Skins are both in the high teens, with the Cowboys at 7 pct.  Prior to this week they had the Eagles and Giants just about tied......was so funny to see Philly get blasted by Tampa yesterday.  But all numbers are just that....numbers.

We are 3-5 against the Giants since I've started dating her.

Alright, A, it sounds like you have a unique opportunity to take one for the team here...

I've always loved playing the Redskins in a meaningful game for first place.  I respect them way more than the Cowboys and Eagles. Losing to the Cowboys and Eagles in a game like this takes me months to get over.  While it bothers me if they lose to the Redskins, it doesn't kill me.  That being said, this is a big game for both teams.  It keeps the Redskins in it until the end if they win and pretty much knocks them out if they don't.  The Giants could get a strangle hold on the division if they win and Thanksgiving unfolds favorably.  

Either way, it is a huge game.  Plus, it is the first time Giant fans get to see Hakeem Nicks back in a Giants uniform if he has learned enough of the playbook to play.

What's interesting, is the two teams that have a chance to make noise in the playoffs if they get in are ya'll and the Cowboys.

It's definitely a monster game.  Monster game.

I don't pay attention to those numbers.  A lot of the "experts" are expecting the Cowboys to win out and take the division.  I guess it could happen but hopefully, that ends this Thursday by Carolina!  I know, I'm nuts!  LOL

Perfect weekend for me would be Dallas loses, we win, and philly loses.  I'd just about lose my mind if that happened.

But yes, if ya'll win and Dallas loses, then it's pretty much time to mail it in for the Giants to win it.  Tom Coughlin off a bye week, this much on the line?  I'll take the under.

I hate playing the Giants, not because I think they are better than us, it's just because I know Mara is involved. We saw it last time we met- on the 1st drive, two awful calls against us and then the obvious call against them went un-whistled. 

Which Skins team will see on Sunday? I have questioned a few things about this coaching staff, but have remained supportive. They will be judged on Sunday- huge divisional game, at home. We need to come out of the gate pumped, ready and with a solid gameplan. No matter how the 1st half goes, we need to come out of halftime ready to play, something we don't like to do. The Giants are good at best, unlike what I was saying going into the Panthers game, this is not a better team than us. 

Pretty cool that this is the 4th team we play this year whose facing us after their bye... By "pretty cool," I mean complete bulls****. 

My confidence is zero lol.

My gf is a Giants fan. The war started last night. I yelled at her about Mara and she told me how suck ass the Skins are.

I can relate.  My wife (previously my girlfriend) is a Giants fan -- as are most of my-in-laws and some of my own family.   I am battling for my kids football souls -- so far on sheer persistence I am winning.    I am so shaken by the Giants dominance in this series that am thinking of coming up with a distraction on Sunday for my kids so they don't witness another beat down. 

I've witnessed the humiliation of this series first hand both at Fed-ex and at the Meadowlands.   Lavar Arrington said when he was with the Giants (if I recall R. Wynn said something similar) they thought they had the Redskins number and would win and knew they were in the Redskins heads.  I've watched most of the Giants games over the years and follow them closely in the press. I posted some of this in the prediction thread but IMO it has all the ingredients for a Giants win -- actually blow out.

A. Giants tend to play well in high stakes division games in particular against the Redskins

B. Giants i am sure have all the confidence in the world going against the Redskins considering the track record

C. Giants had 2 weeks to prepare

D. Redskins coming off a demoralizing loss and of late have played poorly in the 2nd half of the season

E. Giants have had Kirk's number

But I am hanging my hat on the law of averages -- hopefully, it can't be the same thing in this match up over and over again.  We are due!  :)

It's true - we are 3-12 vs. the Giants since 2008 (and oddly 2 of those wins came in a pretty awful 2011 season). The only other win was the must-win game of 2012. Odds are not in our favor, but it does seem like we rise up and win (recently) when we have a shot at something.

It's been a pretty long time (probably 1996/1997) since we've had something at stake and a game against New York and didn't win. Even going back further than my list in the OP, we had a critical game against them in 1999, winning 23-13. Both teams were 5-4 and we won a game with defense and ball control to take over sole possession of first place. 

Of course, the fact that I can list on one hand all the seasons we've had meaningful November/December games speaks volumes. But, at least we've taken advantage of those rare opportunities to win games and have a shot at the post-season when they've presented themselves. 

It would be gigantic to get this game for a few reasons: 

1) Beating the Giants is a large feat these days. 

2) Cousins would finally have a good game against a team that's destroyed him.

3) We would have legitimate, undisputed progress (5-6 heading into December)

4) Our team would have AT LEAST two more meaningful games - great experience

I'm hoping for the best!

It's a bit too early, but the silver lining of our road struggles is that we are actually winning a lot more at home (7-6 at FedEx under Gruden). It's nothing flashy but pretty decent considering we haven't had much of an advantage at FedEx through the years. 

If there was one thing Shanny did relatively well, it's play NYG.  Most of those games were pretty close one way or the other.

I think we built our team that way since they were the dominant of the division.

I think we've built our team to beat the Eagles since Jay got here.  2-1 and that 1 loss had a lot of nonsense related to it. 

Now that Scot's here and we've identified an identity, we're going to be forcing others to come and get us... eventually, anyways.

This is the fulcrum of the season, though.  Have to have this game.

There was a meaningful Giant game in 1997 in which we really fell flat. 

Just three weeks after the ugliest game I remember in my lifetime (7-7 tie vs. NY at FedEx Field) we squared off against the Giants again in the penultimate week of the season. We (7-6-1) were one game behind them (8-5-1) and were playing for the division tie-breaker. A win in NY and a win the following week would have meant a division title for Norv and would have been a nice cherry on top of a pretty consistent and encouraging rebuild (from 3-13 in 1994 to 9-7 in 1996). 

This one was pretty awful right from the start. They were up 10-0 before we even settled in (sound familiar?) and extended their lead to 17-0 by the end of the first quarter. The teams traded FGs in the second quarter and the Skins briefly had life on a Hostetler-to-Connell TD to pull within 10. But that's as close as it would get and Hostetler would end up throwing 4 interceptions en route to a 30-10 loss eliminating us from the playoff picture. 

The bad news: that script feels very realistic this weekend. The good news: it's been 18 years since a late-season, meaningful game against the Giants has gone in that direction. 

I'm hopeful that we rise to the occasion...I wasn't expecting to beat NY in 2007 or 2012 either, but we figured out a way to do it. 

My confidence is zero lol.

My gf is a Giants fan. The war started last night. I yelled at her about Mara and she told me how suck ass the Skins are.

We are 3-5 against the Giants since I've started dating her.

Love.....

It sucks

I had to watch the last Fedex Giants debacle with a close friend of mine in a bar in Philly, she's a NY fan, that was a tough night. Stopped watching in the 4th I think and just got drunk. 

It's true - we are 3-12 vs. the Giants since 2008 (and oddly 2 of those wins came in a pretty awful 2011 season). The only other win was the must-win game of 2012. Odds are not in our favor, but it does seem like we rise up and win (recently) when we have a shot at something.

It's been a pretty long time (probably 1996/1997) since we've had something at stake and a game against New York and didn't win. Even going back further than my list in the OP, we had a critical game against them in 1999, winning 23-13. Both teams were 5-4 and we won a game with defense and ball control to take over sole possession of first place. 

Of course, the fact that I can list on one hand all the seasons we've had meaningful November/December games speaks volumes. But, at least we've taken advantage of those rare opportunities to win games and have a shot at the post-season when they've presented themselves. 

It would be gigantic to get this game for a few reasons: 

1) Beating the Giants is a large feat these days. 

2) Cousins would finally have a good game against a team that's destroyed him.

3) We would have legitimate, undisputed progress (5-6 heading into December)

4) Our team would have AT LEAST two more meaningful games - great experience

I'm hoping for the best!

I am already booked up for Chicago in December so I feel like I have even more riding on this game.

Looks like the list grows - that's 4 straight times that we've played the Giants late in the year that we've pulled out a W with a lot on the line (at least for us).  What a great W to get heading into a rivalry game with the Cowboys. 

great thread, TD.

We should keep it going for the next one... ya know ;)

Or, start a new one...

Archived