Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cousins Is The Man

Veryoldschool

Impromptu poll to kill the hours before our only Kirk sighting over a month's time....

Do you want Kirk to continue making line calls as he did in Kory's absence last year, or do you want it to be the center's job, to free up Kirk for other pre-snap duties.

For me it's a no brainer - I want Kirk making the calls. Especially since last year Kirk seemed to do very well at it to the tune of a 19.999M payday. Plus, I get the sense we may see different C's tried this year. 

I feel like it's better to have that funnel through one person unless that person shows they can't keep up or handle the responsibility. Kirk has shown he can handle it so I would prefer he continue to do so. 

Also, I don't know how this actually works but to me it seems like if you have one person making the line calls, play calls, audibles, etc there is less of a chance for miscommunication. With all of it coming from one person, even if the calls are wrong or bad, I feel like at least they would be called together so busted plays and uncoordinated efforts would be minimized 

have they said if he would continue or not? 

Very shaky first series, honestly the entire offense seemed lethargic to me.  Terrible decision to throw to Ross and thus the INT.  But man, I never felt Cousins will not pick up his game, and that last 6 minute 2nd half was a thing of beauty.  The 3rd TD pass to Garcon was one of the best passes I have seen from any QB in a long time.

Really worried about the OL especially our C.  Not worried about the drops by our WRs, I think they were a little rusty.  

I'm actually glad Cousins didn't show well at first. One of the main issues he had before last year was imploding after a mistake. There is no better time and place to get experience bouncing back from mistakes than during preseason games. Kirk really is looking like the real deal and it will be the best damn plate of crow I've ever eaten.

• 3 weeks later...

Kirk played a scared, terrible game. Ran when he needed to throw, didn't recognize when he should run. Forced balls, failed to step up in the pocket even once, most of his throws forced the receiver to lose all momentum limiting YAC.

All in all, way worse than his stats suggest. Defense was terrible once the Steelers got into it, but if Kirk plays a respectable game we are up 14-0 in the first and the game could have been totally different.

Terrible is an extreme stretch.  He had a solid game.  21 of his 27 completions so far have been "successful" completions (by footballoutsiders metrics - 40% of required yardage on 1st down, 60% on 2nd down, or 100% on 3rd/4th down).  He had a couple of bad plays, sure.  But for the most part he was moving us up and down the field.

The problem, really, is most of the rest of our offense.  Here's something crazy - Cousins was not sacked a single time on 37 dropbacks, yet there were 11 different times where we needed more than 10 yards to get a first down (i.e. 1st and 15, 20, 25, etc. due to false starts, holding, etc.).  How is that possible?  Horrible running game and lots of ticky tack calls by the refs on false starts and holding penalties.

I think the real story is that we essentially look like a more lopsided version of last year's already lopsided team.  We can't run the ball and we can't stop the run.  That's enough to consistently beat bad teams, but it's very difficult to be so one dimensional and consistently beat good teams in this league.

• zoony locked this topic

Archived