Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Last Line of Defense-2015 Draft Safety Prospects

darrelgreenie

Watched some more cut ups of Ibraheim and there's some mixed feelings.  He's as fundamentally sound as they come with tackling, and he always seems to take the right angle, but supposedly missed a ton of tackles in 2013.  Very little wasted movement when he makes up his mind, but sometimes can be slow to diagnose a play.  He did always seem to get banged up though, and only played in 56% of their snaps this year due to nagging injuries.  He wasn't injured in the previous years, so it might just be some bad luck.  At the very least I think he'll be a special teams stud with his dependable tackling and excellent angles.

Watched some more cut ups of Ibraheim and there's some mixed feelings.  He's as fundamentally sound as they come with tackling, and he always seems to take the right angle, but supposedly missed a ton of tackles in 2013.  Very little wasted movement when he makes up his mind, but sometimes can be slow to diagnose a play.  He did always seem to get banged up though, and only played in 56% of their snaps this year due to nagging injuries.  He wasn't injured in the previous years, so it might just be some bad luck.  At the very least I think he'll be a special teams stud with his dependable tackling and excellent angles.

I didn't see that draftbreakdown posted new cut-ups. They finally got Amos in there. I'm gonna watch the new stuff soon/today maybe and reply to this post more. But, I did read somewhere that Campbell missed a lot of tackles in 2013 but I have to say I find it hard to believe. It reminded me of another report I read on a S prospect from last year that I thought was was off based on film.

Guess which S this was from:

Struggles to recover from missteps and will not track anyone down from behind..... Takes some inaccurate angles......Can be overaggressive and miss tackles. Does not always arrive under control in space. Lacks discipline on the field and makes too many mental mistakes. Got shook in the hole for a 75-yard TD vs. Colorado State and gives up too many big plays with bad angles.

I really liked randall, but that arizona game he struggled to get off blocks from arizona's diminutive slot receiver.  That guy weighs in at 177 pounds and it resulted in two huge runs.  Perhaps I'm docking him too much as it would have been a tough play to make, and he did take the outside path away, but I would have liked to see him deal with those blocks better against such a tiny guy.  And then he was late trying to jump a slant in cover-0 that resulted in a long td.  It was a bit of a bonehead play given the situation, but that aggressiveness has suited him well at other times.

Haven't watched Amos yet but overall I'm pretty iffy on this year's safeties.  Tons of corners who could convert, but I'm not sure if there's much of a science to projecting a successful conversion.

I think you're nit picking if you have to count not getting off a block as major knock. And again, for me there is a huge difference between pointing out negatives plays in comparison to positive plays over the course of a game.

But its quite another to pointing out a few negative plays in a 'sum' assessment of any prospect. Because  you can literally pan any prospect that way because they all have negative plays.

I'm starting to warm to this S class; its not gonna match up to last years but there are some good prospects that I think are flying under the radar in the 2nd-3rd rounds.

I think you're nit picking if you have to count not getting off a block as major knock. And again, for me there is a huge difference between pointing out negatives plays in comparison to positive plays over the course of a game.

But its quite another to pointing out a few negative plays in a 'sum' assessment of any prospect. Because you can literally pan any prospect that way because they all have negative plays.

I'm starting to warm to this S class; its not gonna match up to last years but there are some good prospects that I think are flying under the radar in the 2nd-3rd rounds.

Problem is that game had very few if any positive plays from him. About the only time he was seen was when he gave up 3 huge plays.

I'm not saying it makes him a terrible prospect, but I have to worry about his strength, which is probably a valid concern given his size.

You know how many S prospects I've seen not be able to get off a block at times? All of them. I think it's a nit pick. And I'm curious what game you saw where he had 'very few if any positive plays' that sounds a lot like hyperbole.

But *shrugs* to each there own.

What round do you think?

What little film I saw on Collins made me definitely not want him at 5. He seemed to wanna hit instead of tackle and took some bad angles at times. Reminded me too much of Landry.

I thought the same thing when I watched him. Shoulder and head down too much, and not trying to wrap up enough. He is energetic though, and he seems to be around the ball a lot.

Shaq Thompson might be a bit too big for a safety, but he's awfully athletic. I think he'd be an interesting player if he was tried out in the backfield though. A relentless, sure tackler from what I watched.

You know how many S prospects I've seen not be able to get off a block at times? All of them. I think it's a nit pick. And I'm curious what game you saw where he had 'very few if any positive plays' that sounds a lot like hyperbole.

But *shrugs* to each there own.

What round do you think?

It was the Arizona game, thought I mentioned that before. You can watch it for yourself and tell me what you think.

It's a thin safety class, and I still need to watch more of him before I really have a projection, but that game was a bit of a red flag, though you may have a different opinion on it.

I watched the new cut-up for Campbell. It was more solid film for him he again graded out very high for me. I wish there was more tape. But, if he's the player I see on from those 2 games most of the time AND he runs well at his pro-day on March-17th then he's no worse then a second round S for me.

Here's my current S rankings (finally got around to watching Eskridge, Harris and Kysheon Jarrett)

Damarious Randall

Adrian Amos

Landon Collins

Ibraheim Campbell
Jackquiski Tartt
Quandray Diggs

Durrel Eskridge

Kurtis Drummond

Anthony Harris

Chris Hacket

Clayton Geathers

Derron Smith

Kysheon Jarrett

Anthony Jefferson

Cody Prewitt
Gerod Holliman

DEPTH:

Last year nfl.com draft profile had 7 SAF with a 5.3 grade or higher. (the 4 SAF with a 5.4 grade or higher went in the 1st round)

Last year they had 5 SAF rated 5.2.

Last year they had 3 SAF rated 5.1.

This year they have 11 SAF with a 5.3 grade or higher.

This year they have 5 SAF rated 5.2.

This year they have 6 rated 5.1

This years draft could be about 7 draftable SAF better then last year.

DEPTH:

Last year nfl.com draft profile had 7 SAF with a 5.3 grade or higher. (the 4 SAF with a 5.4 grade or higher went in the 1st round)

Last year they had 5 SAF rated 5.2.

Last year they had 3 SAF rated 5.1.

This year they have 11 SAF with a 5.3 grade or higher.

This year they have 5 SAF rated 5.2.

This year they have 6 rated 5.1

This years draft could be about 7 draftable SAF better then last year.

Does nfl.com try to keep consistent from year to year? Some of their ratings from year to year just seem all over the place.

Pro-Day Stuff

(pro-day numbers need a grain of salt)

Cody Prewitt – DS – Prewitt needed to run much better after he showed very average speed at Indy. He came away as the star of the show with times of 4.47 and 4.49. With the safety class being average, those times will really help Prewitt’s cause.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2015-pro-days-notebook-part-i/

DAMARIOUS RANDALL

Of any ASU player eligible for the draft, Randall has likely seen his stock increase the most since the end of the season. The defensive back could be used as a big cornerback, free safety or nickel. His NFL Combine performance, which included a 4.46 40-yard dash and a 38-inch vertical, helped his cause. He put in a 35-inch vertical Friday -- without stretching, he might add -- but otherwise did corner workouts.

Where he excelled: A healthier diet -- while staying away from the typical college fare of noodles and snacks -- has resulted in a 14-pound weight gain since the end of the season. "With me weighing 198 pounds, that just shows I can carry the weight and I can play nickel," he said.

What's his stock looking like: Randall said he's heard talk of him being a second-rounder because some teams might rank him as the No. 2 safety on the board.

What's next: Eleven teams will visit with Randall, and seven to nine will fly him to their facilities before Day 1 of the draft. Super Bowl participants New England and Seattle are among the teams he'll meet with. What will Randall do on draft day? "I'm probably going to be playing FIFA (video soccer)," he said. "I'm just going to be taking in the process and enjoying the moment."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2015-pro-days-notebook-part-i/

Can someone answer the burning question in my head.  How is DHall just "going to move to FS" .  Why do fans just think a CB can automatically play FS or SS.  I remember when we read the threads "Sign Bailey to play FS".  When have you ever heard of a CB playing FS or SS when he gets older in age?  I'll give you a hint, they don't.  Can we please stop pretending DHall is going to be a pro bowl safety this year.  He's a corner.

Didn't Shawn Springs move from corner to safety at the end of his time here?

Not that I remember.  It's usually our fanbase who just pretends we can move anyone who isn't that great at CB to be a pro bowl safety.

whoops was thinking of this.  Based on this article, fans wanting the same thing 

http://www.hogshaven.com/2008/4/21/446803/shawn-springs-the-safety

I thought he lined up as safety for a little bit maybe cuz of injuries but maybe it was only discussed never actually happened

As if playing FS was that easy...

If it was, there would be plenty of FS all over the NFL. While in fact it's quite difficult as you're the last line of defense and mistake is not an option there.

Playing all alone, above every one else, making up for CBs mistakes, ILB/SS mistakes... Knowing your assignement, and everyone else to covers their asses, and knows other QB and WR to know what they're putting on you.

While being able to have a wide range of action, being great at backpedal to keep everyone in front of you, being a sure tackler, and if possible a ball hawk.

Lots of things to ask for a FS.

I see a few people clamoring for Hall or Amerson as FS converts, but if it was actually a consideration for someone on our team, I would think that of our options, Breeland is the most likely possibility.

Likes to hit, real student of the game.

Not saying the Skins should or not, just saying if someone HAD to do it on the team, I like his chances of succeeding back there as opposed to Hall or Amerson, FWIW.

During NFL Network's coverage of the combine, NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock said Rollins' ball skills are "unreal," and also said he is "competitive, quick and tough." But that speed might mean Rollins only can be a nickel corner or even a safety.

20. Quinten Rollins, CB, Miami (Ohio)

The skinny: Outstanding feet and potential after only one year of college football, but he didn't run fast and teams must decide whether to keep him at CB or move him to safety.

Zierlein @ nfl.com

Scouts or coaches attending the Pro Day were asked to sign in but not all did. However, there were representatives from Cleveland, Cincinnati, New York Jets, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Buffalo, Tampa Bay, San Francisco, Arizona, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Washington and New England were on hand.

Personally I think he still could be a CB but he's a conversion prospect who would make would hell of a FS.

Archived