Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Footage of Redskins vs Lions 11/14/43

Baltboy

When I saw this thread title, I thought it was about 2043...

RE: the quick kick thing, was that really the right strategy, even given the game rules and player talent level at the time?

I think a greater emphasis was put on field position back in those days. Offenses had to struggle for every yard back then and low scoring games were common. From what I understand, if an offense were too deep in their own territory, even if it was on first or second down, they'd just kick it back to the other team.

Regarding the game, this is the legendary 4 TD-4 INT game for Sammy Baugh, but he also threw 2 picks (one was a pick six) and had a blocked punt. I'm sure WWII era ES would've had several threads devoted to that. 

Thanks for the explanation Captain Injury.  I was really at a loss about why it'd make strategic sense to punt on first down, but that makes sense now.

On a sidenote, the thought of beating the Eagles and Steelers at the same time on a single day just brought a smile to my face.

From the Baugh article I linked to earlier;

What also set the Redskins apart was Baugh’s deadly quick-kicking. While very modern in his approach to the passing game, Baugh remained a strong believer in punting before fourth down, a practice that had begun to fall out of fashion. As offenses opened up and more points were scored, teams became reluctant to give up the ball before they had to. But Baugh still used the ancient weapon to dictate field position—and to discourage the opponent from crowding the line of scrimmage and trying to clamp down on the short stuff. He’d just take the snap, kick one over the safety’s head and watch it roll.

“You’d use a rocker step,” he said. “Just kind of rock back and kick that ball. My style was a little different than most of them. In the Southwest you’re going to get a lot of wind, and I was taught that you couldn’t hold the ball real high. You had to kick it from a lower position, drop the ball lower. Less margin of error.”

Trajectory was another consideration—the lower the better, so the safety couldn’t hustle back and catch the punt on the fly. It was all about getting the ball downfield before the defense could react.

“That’s the only time we’d really try to kick it down the middle of the field,” he said. “[On a regular punt] we would always go for one sideline or the other. ‘Punt to the right on two. Punt to the left on two.’ That’s how we’d call it. But on a quick kick you’d try to kick it right down the middle, right over that safety’s head. Because your linemen, they make an offensive charge, see? They block like you’re going to run through the middle. They had to make those [defensive] linemen keep their hands down. And you had to get it off pretty damn fast” because the tailback lined up only seven yards deep.

All five of Baugh’s 70-plus-yard punts in 1943 were quick kicks—which, naturally, had a healthy effect on his punting average. In the big game against the Lions he quick-kicked on first down three straight times in the early going, for 54, 46 and 66 yards. “The third shoved the Lions in a hole on their 8-yard line,” the Washington Post said, “and after [Harry] Hopp kicked feebly out Baugh pitched for a score.”

From the Baugh article I linked to earlier;

[Discussion of Baugh's quick kicks]

Baugh is among the all-time leaders in punt average largely due to the quick kick. And the football was much rounder than today's balls, so a punt over a safety's head would roll a lot further than it might today.

Why the hell does the first clip show seemingly every crappy 2 yard run and every incomplete pass yet they don't show any of the touchdowns? Instead we get a sign saying, "oh yeah Washington just scored a touchdown," then they cut to the extra point. Weird

Cool footage though. 

In the Tailgate, someone posted old footage of Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth batting and Walter Johnson pitching.  The comment was made that those guys, and good players from that era, could compete in Major League Baseball today.  I would say that is NOT the case with the NFL though.  Unlike baseball, the NFL is a completely different game now.

Why the hell does the first clip show seemingly every crappy 2 yard run and every incomplete pass yet they don't show any of the touchdowns? Instead we get a sign saying, "oh yeah Washington just scored a touchdown," then they cut to the extra point. Weird

Cool footage though. 

In the Tailgate, someone posted old footage of Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth batting and Walter Johnson pitching.  The comment was made that those guys, and good players from that era, could compete in Major League Baseball today.  I would say that is NOT the case with the NFL though.  Unlike baseball, the NFL is a completely different game now.

I think if you had transported 18-year old Sammy Baugh through time to today, given him four years of college plus a redshirt freshman year to learn the modern game, learn modern passing mechanics, adjust to today's ball, get his weight up and basically just get on the same level of fitness that is normal today, he would have been alright. It's the strength and conditioning and diet (and let's be honest, supplements and drugs--legal and illegal) that really make today's players stronger, faster, bigger, tougher, etc. The mechanics all have to be learned, and Baugh would be lagging behind peers who played today's game their entire lives but he was also a transcendent athlete in his time period.

Most guys from Baugh's time couldn't translate to today's game. They're too small, too slow. An OL or DL back then was smaller than what we would consider a tweener LB today. Some of the QB's, however, might have been able to play today with the right environment and 100% dedication to what is a full-time job today.

I used to have a channel where I broadcasted old football games, 3-4 years ago, and I had a thread on here to announce when I was playing Redskins games, and this was one of the games that I broadcasted but now it's on youtube, not quite as fun since we can't all comment on it when we are watching it together.

Maybe I should start up that again somewhere and play all of the 1981-1991 games that I do have on hard drive.

I just don't know if that thread would be appreciated anymore if I did decide to put all those games online in series for everybody to watch.

Alright it's the offseason. I may as well play this 1981 Wk1 Joe Gibbs' first game vs Dallas with all the pregame hype which makes it exciting since we all know he turned it around after this.

IMO, if everybody makes an account there on vaughn we could have fun again watching all these old games since I do have alot of these 80's to 1991 games on hard drive and can play them anytime.

Here is the link: http://vaughnlive.tv/lolhahaha

Now playing 1981 Joe Gibbs first game vs Dallas wk 1 with pregame intro

Archived